Harvard or Johns Hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[email protected]

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In looking at both of these schools, I have heard positive things about both programs. Both appear to be strong in the areas in which I am interested--Healthcare management/Health policy/Health economics.

If I went to Harvard I would go part time--requires physical attendance. If at Hopkins I would do the internet part time.

I am interested in healthcare consulting/ perhaps working for a private health system/health insurance company--maybe for pharma or medical devices. Either way I am interested in creating innovative products/services/systems to aid in the universal delivery of healthcare.

I know both have exceptional names but I am having a difficult time trying to determine where one would get the extra edge in terms of value added in terms of resources, helpful alumni, professional and personal opportunities etc.

Does anyone think one school is clearly or significantly better than the other? If so, why?

Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

have you received a decision from harvard? we are supposed to hear by the end of feb if you applied under the early deadline. thanks
u.

In looking at both of these schools, I have heard positive things about both programs. Both appear to be strong in the areas in which I am interested--Healthcare management/Health policy/Health economics.

If I went to Harvard I would go part time--requires physical attendance. If at Hopkins I would do the internet part time.

I am interested in healthcare consulting/ perhaps working for a private health system/health insurance company--maybe for pharma or medical devices. Either way I am interested in creating innovative products/services/systems to aid in the universal delivery of healthcare.

I know both have exceptional names but I am having a difficult time trying to determine where one would get the extra edge in terms of value added in terms of resources, helpful alumni, professional and personal opportunities etc.

Does anyone think one school is clearly or significantly better than the other? If so, why?

I'm at HSPH ... for health policy you can't beat it. I'm taking half of my classes at HSPH and half at the Kennedy School right now. It's awesome. I have heard some people complain about the management track for the M.Sc. program though. I'm not sure what program you are applying to. But if you are into health policy ... this is an awesome place! My classes are awesome, tought by awesome people. I was accepted to both places and chose here mainly because of the kennedy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you happen to know anything about the department of society, human development and health? i just got my notification for the MS track there on friday. i'm nearing my decision and it's edging out hopkins personally. Just didn't feel like JHSPH was ever a really a good fit with me, then i heard some things really turned me off (for personal reasons).
i'm getting real excited at the prospect of moving out to boston. being born and raised californian; i grew up in Oakland and flew south to Los Angeles for my undergrad, i'm really not very east coast savvy. in fact, i've never even been to new enland. *=) though i have been to the original england. have any idea how big the cohort will be?

Hey Pedsid,
Do you have any idea about the MPH program in International health at HSPH ? I just got accepted into it..still trying to decide. thanx :)

queerangel said:
Hey Pedsid,
Do you have any idea about the MPH program in International health at HSPH ? I just got accepted into it..still trying to decide. thanx :)
queer angel... i am too in the same boat as you... are you going the 31 to look at harvard... do you have an MD or you are going to be an MS student.
n.

plasmablob said:
Would you happen to know anything about the department of society, human development and health? i just got my notification for the MS track there on friday. i'm nearing my decision and it's edging out hopkins personally. Just didn't feel like JHSPH was ever a really a good fit with me, then i heard some things really turned me off (for personal reasons).
i'm getting real excited at the prospect of moving out to boston. being born and raised californian; i grew up in Oakland and flew south to Los Angeles for my undergrad, i'm really not very east coast savvy. in fact, i've never even been to new enland. *=) though i have been to the original england. have any idea how big the cohort will be?

I'm mixed about SHUDA, or whatever they call themselves. I've heard some people in the MS track say they wish they were in the health policy track ... I've heard of some switching to health policy. But you know, those are the people I'm around. If people are in the classes I'm in chances are they are into health policy. I would ask HSPH if they would give you the e-mail of a current student to see what they say. I'm sort of in the "health policy" world right now ... a bit segregated.

queerangel said:
Hey Pedsid,

I think the IH folks do a lot of great stuff here. That being said, a really good friend of mine is at Hopkins doing IH and she loves it. I love HSPH ... it's a great place. I took an IH class last semester and was impressed with it. There are a lot of IH opportunities as well. Friends of mine went to China, Chile, India, etc to look at their health systems over the winter session. I know the China trip was very high level ... meeting with THE minister of health for the country ... presenting to him and making suggestions about their health system.

nonito said:
queer angel... i am too in the same boat as you... are you going the 31 to look at harvard... do you have an MD or you are going to be an MS student.
n.

hey nonito..thats really nice to know :) I wont be coming on the 31st for the open house cos its well near impossible for me..too far ..otherwise I wudve jumped at the opportunity ;) As for MD..I have a degree equivalent to MD. I will be doing an MPH course there..how about you..which program?

I thought I already knew most people who got calls from HSPH..and I come here..and there are so many more :) Pretty nice :luck:

pedsid said:
I think the IH folks do a lot of great stuff here. That being said, a really good friend of mine is at Hopkins doing IH and she loves it. I love HSPH ... it's a great place. I took an IH class last semester and was impressed with it. There are a lot of IH opportunities as well. Friends of mine went to China, Chile, India, etc to look at their health systems over the winter session. I know the China trip was very high level ... meeting with THE minister of health for the country ... presenting to him and making suggestions about their health system.

Thanx PedSid...Its very helpful to hear this from someone already at Harvard..I mean everyone here says..Its Harvard ! What are u even thinking about..But it dusnt really work that way..
I was thrilled when I got the call..then all the other factors started surfacing and I lost the initial euphoria..But now its coming back..Besides I dont have the JHU option..My other acceptance is from UAB..I am yet to hear from UNC chapel hill and UIC..All pretty good schools..Though HSPH was my dream place of the lot.
May I ask u how life at HSPH is..apart from the classes..how hectic is the course work? Is it a very high pressure dog-eat-dog kinda atmosphere ? how friendly are the students and proffessors...I know its ultimately what u make of it :) But how's it doing before I get there ;)

The thing is..I've got an exam to give..if possible....while I'm at HSPH..wondering if it wud be possible to balance it out at all :( The course work and studying for another exam.

Do u think I can ask the school for current students' email IDs..since I wont be able to make it to the open house ? :confused: