Harvard Medical School Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a bit of a head start on financial aid at HMS because I had to send in copies of all the tax stuff to some other schools, and figured why not send stuff to Harvard and Yale just in case I get accepted. I also completed the need access form a few weeks before the decision letter.

Last Friday I received an email asking me to send in an additional short form about expected summer and school year income. That's all I know.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll find out soon!

I just checked -- my award is not up yet, boo... How long did it take for them to finish processing your financial aid file? I submitted everything two weeks ago...

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I got an email from fin aid saying my file is incomplete (even though online it says they have everything except the loan interview) because they are waiting for a "schedule D" on my parent's tax return.

Does anyone know what this mean? Is this something that I'm supposed to send in or are they checking with somewhere else?

Hmm... I got an email from fin aid saying my file is incomplete (even though online it says they have everything except the loan interview) because they are waiting for a "schedule D" on my parent's tax return.

Does anyone know what this mean? Is this something that I'm supposed to send in or are they checking with somewhere else?

I would email back and ask specifically if this is something you need to get from your parents. They also needed some clarifying information from me. Once they received it, my finaid package was posted after 2 business days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would email back and ask specifically if this is something you need to get from your parents. They also needed some clarifying information from me. Once they received it, my finaid package was posted after 2 business days.

Sounds good. I emailed them back to see what they actually need. Thanks!

For those of you flying to revisit, what time are y'all arriving on Thursday and departing on Saturday?

If your parents did their taxes using TurboTax and then submitted the printed version, then tell them to make sure to mail in the whole pdf! I made this mistake with my 1099 -- printed out and mailed in just the tax forms, forgetting schedule A-D pages. Had to mail in the rest later... Maybe that's what delayed my finaid... Good luck!

For those of you flying to revisit, what time are y'all arriving on Thursday and departing on Saturday?

I'm getting into Boston at like 11am (a bit early, gives me time to explore) and leaving at like 3pm on Saturday afternoon, I think.

Can't wait!

does anyone remember the aid algorithm hms uses? specifically...is there a base amount (like 20 to 25k or so) that everyone is responsible for before scholarship money begins getting distributed?

does anyone remember the aid algorithm hms uses? specifically...is there a base amount (like 20 to 25k or so) that everyone is responsible for before scholarship money begins getting distributed?

For the academic year 2009-10 unit loan levels are
as follows:
For the class entering in September 2009: $24,500
Students who entered in September 2008: $24,500
Students who entered in September 2007: $24,500
Students who entered in September 2006: $24,500
Students who entered in September 2005: $24,500

The unit loan includes two components: the Federal
Direct Stafford Loan and a campus-based loan. The
typical distribution of the unit loan for a 2009-10
incoming student is expected to be:
$ 8,500 Federal Direct Sub. Stafford
$ 5,000 Federal Perkins Loan
$11,000 Campus-based loan (i.e. LDS, HMS Revolving/Wolfson)
$24,500 TOTAL UNIT LOAN

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/finaid/html/Guide.pdf

It's on page 19

I haven't yet heard from revisit hosts. It's getting very close to departure time. Have any of you heard?

Host info for revisit's up- check your email :).

Looking forward to meeting you all this week :thumbup:!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend emailing Joanna McEvoy. She probably forwarded my email to one of the Revisit coordinators, and they emailed me right away. I'm getting into Boston, butt-early in the morning on Thursday. Does anyone want to grab breakfast? or early lunch before we hit up the school? Message me if you're down.

:)

How are y'all getting from the airport to campus?... never flew into Boston during my interview... I took a bus.

How are y'all getting from the airport to campus?... never flew into Boston during my interview... I took a bus.

the cheapest way is to buy a $2 charlie ticket at a "T" kiosk at the airport. you can take the silver line bus to south station, take the red line towards alewife, then transfer to an "E" westbound green line subway at park st. station. the longwood medical area stop is close to vanderbilt hall.

www.mbta.com has a trip scheduler.

taxi would be much faster.

I remember taking the T. Checkit, I straight up stayed at the Boston Hostel International the entire time I was there. That was interesting.

Hi,

I was wondering if we need after-midnight transportation during the clinical years. I am planning to live off-campus-- around Harvard Sq and was wondering how to get back forth after mid-night or even if we need to do that.

Last edited:
so i couldnt make it to revisit weekend and was wondering what everyone thought-- time is ticking closer to a final decision!

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. What are your choices?

I thought revisit was great! It was definitely a lot better then my interview day so I'd encourage you to not go off of that alone.

I think we have a wonderful class and I'm excited to start at the end of the summer!

Any of you coming to SF this weekend for revisit? :)

I'll echo the sentiments of Zpiff. The students I met at revisit made HMS an easy decision. My misgivings from the interview day were definitely remedied. The opportunities available to HMS students are fascinating. It felt really good mailing withdrawal letters to my other options today.
so i couldnt make it to revisit weekend and was wondering what everyone thought-- time is ticking closer to a final decision!

P.S. Paul Farmer teaches a first year class...enough said.

Does anyone know the cost of living in Vanderbilt Hall? Trying to figure out if it would be better to live off-campus.

Hey all,
Congratulations on becoming part of the Class of 2013 at HMS. I look forward to joining you in August!

I am traveling to S. America in early July for about two weeks, and I am wondering if any of my future classmates are interested in joining me. I've consulted with my loved high school Spanish teacher, and I will visit Chile, Argentina, Brazil, and perhaps Uruguay, although the itinerary is still pretty flexible.
I am a Spanish minor, so I am familiar with the region's history and I am fluent in Spanish. Also, I'm pretty experienced in planning trips, having travelled extensively in W. Europe and Israel.

Let me know if you have any interest in this incredible trip. I think it will be an amazing way to meet fellow classmates while enjoying our last summer before school starts!

Regards,
Justin
PM me if you're interested!

Hey yall, I just got the totally unreal phone call off the waitlist! Hell yeah!! Man what an amazing and humbling blessing this is. Now it's a really tough choice between yale and harvard.

I really loved yale's smaller class size of 100 and how it was so tight-knit, so I was wondering how close the hms class of 160+ is.

And also what is the typical class schedule like and what kind of flexibility is built in, like how many hours of lecture/class time or afternoons off a week does hms have?

Sorry if these are like boring typical questions, I missed out on 2nd look and really didnt bother to dig too deeply during interview day.

AHHHHHHHH!!

Who's who in this thread? :D Yeah I am not so incognito.

g :D

I'll echo the sentiments of Zpiff. The students I met at revisit made HMS an easy decision. My misgivings from the interview day were definitely remedied. The opportunities available to HMS students are fascinating. It felt really good mailing withdrawal letters to my other options today.

P.S. Paul Farmer teaches a first year class...enough said.

But he only showed up for the first and last classes. :(

hello ....i am a medical student from egypt

i need to get informations about medical school of harvard ....i need to know everything about the whole education system from the 1st year to the last year "the studied subjects ...the advantages and disadvantages of studying medicine in harvard"