Harvard Medical School Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i kinda want to bring my car just to have a sick cross country roadtrip from california...

but yeah, probably wouldnt do too well in the winter, and not worth the hassle throughout the year...so at home it will stay.

Members don't see this ad.

sad to part with the ol' girl, but she wouldn't like sitting in a garage for four years anyway.

So how many of us will be living in Vandy? I know I definitely will. I like the ghetto basement gym.

actually missed this part of the tour (vandy) because had early interview...would like to live as close as possible though

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked it a lot, its like a standard dorm, but kinda with this hotel flavor. There's the ghetto gym in the basement (but hey, it works), and of course probably the best parts, living across the street from the campus and being able to chill with your classmates like freshman year in college again. I miss those times and open-door policies. Ah, nostalgia.

Heck to the yess! I got my email last Monday... 12:22pm PST... I was in my car, driving, about to get on the freeway.... checked my email on my phone... and BOOM!

I kept saying "Oh my god!", then I started shaking, then I started crying... then called the first person I promised to call if I hear from my top schools.

I put down my work address as my mailing addy.... so that is prolly why I haven't received that paper.

CONGRATS everyone!

I liked it a lot, its like a standard dorm, but kinda with this hotel flavor. There's the ghetto gym in the basement (but hey, it works), and of course probably the best parts, living across the street from the campus and being able to chill with your classmates like freshman year in college again. I miss those times and open-door policies. Ah, nostalgia.

I think Vanderbilt would only work for people are very enthusiastic about dorm living... If you have been out of school for any period or prefer to "go home" at night, renting an apartment would probably be much much better.

I would recommend checking out neighborhoods in Cambridge (Harvard Square, Inman Square, Central Square, and Cambridgeport in particular) and Brookline (Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner). Jamaica Plain would be another neighborhood to consider. You could get a room in a real apartment for the same price as living in Vandy, and there is a free shuttle bus to the medical area from Cambridge. Plenty of city buses also run to the medical area. Boston is also good bike commute city because it is small and flat (this is how I get around). I just can't see Longwood as a great place to LIVE bc it pretty much shuts down at night.

Yoga studios, cafes, pretty libraries, restaurants, gyms - lots of these in Cambridge. If you care a lot about the quality of your life, seriously consider living somewhere besides Vanderbilt Hall.

***One other idea is to start out in Vanderbilt in early August and then pay an early exit fee to move to an apartment for Sept 1, which is when many Boston apartments start their lease cycle. Jan 1st might also be a good move-in period for apartments.

Oh I also have a car here in Boston and it has been totally fine. You get a street parking permit for your neighborhood once you register in Massachusetts. If you like to go backpacking/camping/hiking/day-tripping whatever then a car is nice to have for weekends. Otherwise, there is always zipcar/uhaul.

I'm excited for school to start!

sad to part with the ol' girl, but she wouldn't like sitting in a garage for four years anyway.

So how many of us will be living in Vandy? I know I definitely will. I like the ghetto basement gym.

I'll be living in Vandy. I live across the street from my campus right now as an undergraduate and its nice to have all the resources within walking distance. It gives me less excuses to procrastinate.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it costs to get an apartment near the med school?

I'll be living in Vandy. I live across the street from my campus right now as an undergraduate and its nice to have all the resources within walking distance. It gives me less excuses to procrastinate.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it costs to get an apartment near the med school?

The rents will range a lot. My rent is currently 550 plus all utilities, but this is because I am willing to get around by bike and I don't mind walking 10-15 minutes to get to Harvard Square, where the closest subway is.

Rent (per person) goes down the more bedrooms an apartment has. So, for a one bedroom, you would probably have to pay $1300 or more. For a two bedroom, each person might pay $800-$1000 or so. Three bedroom apartments would be easy to find in the $700s- $800s. Remember to factor in heating costs (go for an apartment that includes heat and hot water if possible). Apartments close to subway stops are more expensive, but getting to the medical school is easiest by bus (and there are LOTS of buses that run to Longwood) so that factor shouldn't affect students too much.

There are some less nice neighborhoods near the med school, example Mission Hill, and I don't know what rents are there, but I imagine they are cheaper than Cambridge rents.

The rents will range a lot. My rent is currently 550 plus all utilities, but this is because I am willing to get around by bike and I don't mind walking 10-15 minutes to get to Harvard Square, where the closest subway is.

Rent (per person) goes down the more bedrooms an apartment has. So, for a one bedroom, you would probably have to pay $1300 or more. For a two bedroom, each person might pay $800-$1000 or so. Three bedroom apartments would be easy to find in the $700s- $800s. Remember to factor in heating costs (go for an apartment that includes heat and hot water if possible). Apartments close to subway stops are more expensive, but getting to the medical school is easiest by bus (and there are LOTS of buses that run to Longwood) so that factor shouldn't affect students too much.

There are some less nice neighborhoods near the med school, example Mission Hill, and I don't know what rents are there, but I imagine they are cheaper than Cambridge rents.

I live in Brookline in Coolidge Corner, which is a popular neighborhood for people who work in Longwood because it's a 15-ish minute walk to Longwood. The rent is $850 and I live in a four bedroom apartment with three roommates. As a reference, in my lab of 7 people, one lives in Fenway, 4 of us live in the Coolidge Corner area, 1 lives farther into Brookline, and one lives in Cambridge. I think that's a pretty representative sample.

Last edited:
Does Vandy have enough room for the whole class, if everyone wants it? Also, is it all just single rooms with shared bathrooms on the floor, or are there apartment style as well? I think it would be good to get to know the class, but the room I saw on interview day reminded me of my freshman year dorm. I think I would want my own bathroom/kitchen. Anyone know other options nearby? I will be sure to throw out anything I find!

Does Vandy have enough room for the whole class, if everyone wants it? Also, is it all just single rooms with shared bathrooms on the floor, or are there apartment style as well? I think it would be good to get to know the class, but the room I saw on interview day reminded me of my freshman year dorm. I think I would want my own bathroom/kitchen. Anyone know other options nearby? I will be sure to throw out anything I find!

Vandy is all singles?... I didn't know that... my undergrad had apartment style dorms for everything so I guess in my head I was assuming that. I would preferably want to have an apt style as well with my own bathroom and kitchen...

The whole living situation next year is my only concern... I think I'd rather live in an apartment aroudn Cambridge area, but during my interview day, one of the first years told me that most of the traditional, young students stay at Vandy...

doctorcookie, are you a first year? If not, did you ever live at Vandy?

The points you made about not living in Vandy seemed appealing to me.

doctorcookie, are you a first year? If not, did you ever live at Vandy?

The points you made about not living in Vandy seemed appealing to me.

I'm not a first year (yet!) but I have lived in Cambridge/Boston for a long time and have had close friends go to HMS and live in Vandy. I have heard their opinions and have also visited their dorm rooms. They generally wanted to get out and rent in a different area.

For someone who is 21 who has never ever lived outside a residential dorm situation, Vandy might be a good option. Or if you really are the type of person who just can't wake up more than 10 minutes before needing to be somewhere...

A good test during the revisit weekend would be to walk around the Longwood area at night, then go to Cambridge or Brookline and walk around. Sunday afternoon would also be a good time to make comparisons.

Members don't see this ad :)
14 kitchens for 320 people and communal bathrooms? But at the same time, getting to know most of the 2013 class... it's a bit of a toss up.
I don't think that it makes sense to live on your own, since rent is EXPENSIVE in the Boston area.
I'm excited to meet all of you :) - if Harvard lives up to its name, I'm sure that there'll be many cool people at revisit weekend to meet and decide to room with. Sounds like the best option to me :thumbup:

I'm planning to live in Vandy purely for the camaraderie.

I too will be parting with my car of nearly seven years. What's ironic is that the week I decided I would be putting it up for sale it broke down on me for the first time on the south side of Chicago...350 miles from my residence. I didn't stay blue for long though; when I got home my acceptance packet was waiting. :love:

Does anyone know if HMS provides couple housing? I am guessing "no," but just want to be sure.

I'm planning to live in Vandy purely for the camaraderie.

I too will be parting with my car of nearly seven years. What's ironic is that the week I decided I would be putting it up for sale it broke down on me for the first time on the south side of Chicago...350 miles from my residence. I didn't stay blue for long though; when I got home my acceptance packet was waiting. :love:

so r u set on HMS?

2009 Match List was posted here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7912863&postcount=85

What do you guys think?

Lookin mighty fine to me

Many of the points above regarding housing are very good, and do make me think twice about living in Vandy. It will certainly be hard for me to give up my spacious apartment, own bathroom, and fully equipped kitchen for dorm life with communal everything again.

But I'll still probably do it, as Golden Joe said, purely for the camaraderie. I remember back in freshman year in college, when the dorm was where you met everyone, hung out, and formed your closest friendships. And while I'm sure the 170 or so of us who eventually end up at HMS will all get to know each other very well, some part of me feels that Vandy will still be the social hub of the class, for the first year, at least. I suppose then I am willing to sacrifice a year (and I'm sure, only a year) of Dorm living (though there are perks...the gym, being across the street from the quad, etc) for that community atmosphere that I think is pretty important to have. After that first year I'm sure we'll all be friends enough to find roomates and whatnot, cuz we'll definitely need them.

Last chance of your life to live in a dorm too! From then on, it's all apartments/condos/houses!
........if somehow that argument appeals to you hahaha.

Excited for second look yo, only like a month away!

The HMS registrar's office told me that August 17th is the tentative 1st day of instruction. So you guys have plenty of time to figure out housing. I've lived in Boston for 7 years now, and I would recommend Allston neighborhood -- it's on the green line, lots of buses, and there is free parking on Commonwealth Avenue (even for cars that do not have area permits). Lots of cheap and very tasty places to eat, and an internet cafe (After Hours) that is open until 2am that serves fantastic boba milk teas and slushies, great atmosphere. Rent goes between $900-1100/mo for one-bedroom. A number of apartments for rent is owned by Fineberg associates -- you could not ask for a better landlord!

does vandy have some kind of cleaning service? Just simple stuff like trash, bathroom, vacuuming, and sink wipe downs...if so, this kid is going to be there

matchlist looks mighty fine...lots of derm/plastics/radonc...and 3 neurosurg in great programs during a very competitive year

why do they have so many people going to mckinsey? did they start a residency program for consulting? :p

anyone else who still can't believe this happened to them? lol

it wont hit me until im back in the states and/or im actually there for second look

Revisit registration is up! Yay!

Just registered for the Revisit weekend -- so exciting!!! It's really happening! Congrats to all :soexcited:

I'm 95% sure. The only chance of swaying me would be Yale, but I really don't see that happening. HMS provides too many opportunities, and I loved Boston. I'm really looking forward to meeting the rest of the class! And like many of the rest of you, I'm wondering when the reality of the acceptance will really sink in.

so r u set on HMS?

anyone else who still can't believe this happened to them? lol

Almost 2 weeks passed without any other responses from other schools.... before today (I got accepted to 2 California schools that are tied with HMS for my 1st choice :D), I pretty much said "OKAY, is it effed of me to say that any acceptances from now on would be anticlimactic?"

I'm hella stoked to get in all three, but getting into HMS bought me "time"--instead of having to make a decision by April 15th, I get an extra month!

:D

yea being accepted relieves pressure, but at the same time makes it very very difficult to make a decision. i'd love to hear more detailed answers from people who are positive they are Harvard-bound about why they're sure. (and please dont just say "its harvard" i get enough of that from my parents :))

yea being accepted relieves pressure, but at the same time makes it very very difficult to make a decision. i'd love to hear more detailed answers from people who are positive they are Harvard-bound about why they're sure. (and please dont just say "its harvard" i get enough of that from my parents :))

I know where you're coming from. It's definitely not an easy choice with so many great schools out there.

I'm 99% sure I'll be matriculating at Harvard provided financial aid isn't too terrible. I'm from the Boston area and along with Philly it's tied for first place as my favorite city. I will also probably try to stay in Boston for residency and Harvard should hopefully make this easier for me. Finally, I want to work in academic medicine and do research which is a main reason that I'll be taking those massive private school loans instead of going to my state school. :p

Best of luck making a decision. I hope to meet all you guys at second look!

I second toughdecision's question: of those of you committed to attending... any specific reason other than "It's Harvard" or "It's the best medical school in the country" ?

I am fortunate for my luck this cycle, but I feel like I owe it to myself to examine my options carefully instead of blindly doing what USNews tells me to do.

I second toughdecision's question: of those of you committed to attending... any specific reason other than "It's Harvard" or "It's the best medical school in the country" ?

I am fortunate for my luck this cycle, but I feel like I owe it to myself to examine my options carefully instead of blindly doing what USNews tells me to do.

no.

lol. and um, its not USNEWS...i think ppl would still flock to H even if it dropped to like 3 or 4 or 5...its the centuries old world wide perception that is responsible for its mass appeal...

so who's set on going to Harvard?

better question: who loves to karaoke?

I am also deciding between schools and here are some of Harvard's plusses:

1) Hospitals - so many great places to train and do clinical electives. Main rotations at the Brigham, Cambridge Health Alliance (if you don't want to do the main ones at a big research hospital), MGH, and BIDMC. Plus there is McLean (psych), Children's, Roxbury VA, Faulkner etc...

2) Location - Boston is a great city. It is close to both beaches and mountains. Lots of little squares and neighborhoods. Museums, symphony, good walking areas. Also is it not built as tall as New York so for me, it feels like a more comfortable place to live.

3) Peers - I like that the class size is larger than some other med schools. I guess I'll maybe start to glimpse the class character at revisit.

4) Available faculty/research labs/potential mentors - Related to the long reach of the HMS's arm. Since there are so many affiliates, I feel like I could really do some digging and find some good mentoring in any field.

5) Name - I spoke with a senior physician at one of the major hospital affiliates and he really believes that HMS grads are helped by their school name. This has probably been discussed at length on SDN but I'm more likely to believe it coming from someone who has been involved in many cycles of the match and who picks subspecialty fellows every year.

6) Price - thanks to their middle income initiative, Harvard is likely to be the cheapest option for some students. Basically, you get a $24,500 loan per year and the rest is grants. It is a "full ride" in the sense that your tuition is nearly free.

Of course the weather is really crappy and the big city hospital (Boston Medical Center) is NOT run by Harvard, but by Boston University. Some people might like a closer knit academic community (Harvard University in general is known for the autonomy of its departments and for its decentralized approach). Also, I don't think that the preclinical years at Harvard are the best around, but I have a feeling that a lot of people end up teaching themselves no matter which school they go to.

I went to the undergrad and have lived in Boston for a few additional years so that's my take. Good luck to all the deciders.

so who's set on going to Harvard?

better question: who loves to karaoke?

I'm 100% going to HMS.

And Karaoke? Hell yeah!

As far as why I'm going, lets not beat around the bush, the name is a huge factor.

Dr. Cookies reasons are all very very good.

I loved the hospitals when I visited them, and they have great programs with great faculty.

I love doing research and the resources at Harvard in terms of lab spaces, faculty to work with, and overall money is, well, beast.

Boston seemed like an awesome place to live as a 20-something.

Given that I loved the city and the hospitals so much, I definitely wouldn't mind doing residency at a Harvard hospital, and if I wanna do that, then what better school to go to than Harvard?

The quad is pretty.

My NIH PI and mentor is a Harvard alum, and he has told me many, many times, how the Harvard name has opened doors for him in his career that otherwise would have remained closed. I tend to believe him.

I'm from Maryland so, at this point, Boston is that nice place that's far from home, but not so far from home as to be a foreign place.

I like the east coast busy-busy, hustle and bustle lifestyle. Makes me feel more productive.

I hope (but have a good feeling!) that the class will be fun. I also like the slightly larger class size...more people to know.

Academic societies is like Harry Potter.

Do any of y'all know when students take step 1 at HMS, and how much time they generally have off to study for it?... I'm curious to know their average board scores... judging by their most recent match list, though, it likes mighty high.

Do any of y'all know when students take step 1 at HMS, and how much time they generally have off to study for it?... I'm curious to know their average board scores... judging by their most recent match list, though, it likes mighty high.

Most students take the step 1 in late April after getting about 3 weeks off from class. A few students postpone their first clerkship and will take the step 1 in May, as a way to give themselves more time.

Don't know average board scores.

I second all the reasons above for going to HMS and I might add that for me personally being among you guys as classmates was one of the top reasons. Who would make better research partners? Future colleagues? I am sure that if you have a business initiative or a political agenda, or might want to start your own hospital one day -- you would not find better partners to team up with that you would at HMS!

When y'all interviewed at HMS, what did you think of the student culture? Cooperative? Dog-eat-dog? Chillax? Uptight? Brusque?

Most students take the step 1 in late April after getting about 3 weeks off from class. A few students postpone their first clerkship and will take the step 1 in May, as a way to give themselves more time.

Don't know average board scores.

I hear it's actually below the national average. HMS kind of laughs at the boards because their kids match so well anyway....13 in derm. That's just wrong.

Does anyone know just how substantial these HST research assistantships are in terms of $$$s? This money difference could swing the difference between accepting my offer from New Pathways or from HST's

Hi all,

Warm congrats and welcome to HMS!!! I'm a first year HST MD student. It's great to see and relive a little bit the excitment of this time!

I am a coordinator for the First-year Urban Neighborhood Development (better known as FUNC) for 2009. The program features daily community service activities in the Boston area. It's a great way to start getting involved. If you aren't from Boston, it's a great way to start learning the area. There will also be a lot of free food and some great talks in the evenings to help you begin transitioning into HMS life. Additionally, FUNC allows you to move in to Vandy if you decide to live there a week before everyone else and begin meeting your classmates. And by meet your classmates I mean party a lot-this is NOT in the official brochures and I will deny I said this if confronted, but we all know it's true ;). The program takes place the week before Intro to the Profession. We are going to send out the applications in the next couple of weeks. FUNC really is a lot of fun, I did it last year and found it incredibly valuable.

Otherwise, congrats again. Have fun with all of the revisits and your last pre-med summers. Please feel free to ask any FUNC related questions or any question about anything (HST vs NP, Boston, HMS).

Hi Ebuff,
It seems FUNC and FEAT overlap for a couple of days. I want to participate in both. Is it possible to do a few days of FUNC and then join the FEAT team?

The FEAT kids move in at the same time as the FUNC kids, or at least they did last year. So you will be able to sign up for FEAT and hang out for the two days before you leave. Whether you can participate in the community service events depends on if their are already too many people and the sites can't handle more.

The bigger question is why would you chose FEAT over FUNC? I know the FEAT leaders, and I don't want to say anything bad, but they smell funny. Who wants to aimlessly hike around with smelly people!?

Just kidding, FEAT is ok for those into that stuff.

Big ups to my classmates! Also, what student group info did you guys get in the latest packet they sent? I didn't get anything about FUNC, which I'm interested in

Last edited:
Big ups to my classmates! Also, what student group info did you guys get in the latest packet they sent? I didn't get anything about FUNC, which I'm interested in

A lot of good info is on the website they sent us

https://hms.harvard.edu/prematric.asp

just log in and check under resources...I think there's like 14 things there? Including info for both FEAT and FUNC

Good times.

I just checked -- my award is not up yet, boo... How long did it take for them to finish processing your financial aid file? I submitted everything two weeks ago...