gyn oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any solid knowledge about the competitiveness of this subspecialty, perhaps in comparison to different IM subspecialties?

Members don't see this ad.

Chuck,

REI and GYN Oncology are very competitive and I don't believe very many D.O.'s have been excepted in to those fellowships. I don't believe that any D.O. residency's have a fellowship in either REI and GYN oncology. I think there are 2-3 D.O. fellowships in MFM. However, allopathic MFM fellowship would a lot either to get into than REI, GYN/ONC, or cardiology as a D.O. You have a long time to decide what you want to do. Do what you want. I am a fourth year at AZCOM and want to do MFM and a classmate is going for a fellowship in GYN oncology. Additionally, a fellowship in either GI or Cards whould be one to two years less time depending on the program.

Matt

Does anyone know of any DO GYN/ONC's?

I am hoping to do a Navy OBGYN residency, and then apply for a fellowship. I'd like to think that I at least have a shot at any of the four subspecialties. Am I wrong? Are DO's unheard of in GYN/ONC, REI, URO/GYN, etc?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our Gyn-Onc Fellows are both military (one Army, one Navy) and do 1 year at our facility and 1 at Walter Reed. I don't know about the D.O. history with them, but I'll be sure to ask and relay any info to you.

Good Luck!

about REI (off general topic): i once read on a forum here somewhere that REI is a lot of lab work... is that true? what do REI docs do day-to-day? thanks!