GW vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

girlinthegarden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I originally posted this question in another thread but I made a separate one for discussion. I would be interested in hearing opinions about VCU vs GW. I have an interview scheduled at VCU for later this month (OOS) and recently received an acceptance to GW. I loved GW, but is there anything VCU has in terms of an advantage/unique opportunities?

Previous post from
afob100:

This probably needs to be its own thread. In any case, I think VCU definitely trumps GW. The cost of living in DC is absurd and your total cost of attendance will definitely be less at VCU (rent in Richmond is like $500-650 a month compared to >$900 in DC). In general, the whole LCME accreditation problem at GW just turned me off to their school completely (I didn't even apply). They are both similarly ranked but I believe that VCU has more going for it in the long run. They are building a brand new medical education building set to open in 2013 and will have a revamped curriculum (pass/fail) in 2012...now I know that both of these won't affect you much but it simply shows the growth/expansion of VCU compared to GW.

Again, there's not too much separating these schools currently (but will change in the future), so do you prefer to pay more to live in DC or are you ok with the more low-key Richmond for less?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I just responded to you in the other thread, but I'll just copy and paste here too!

I interviewed at both and I would say VCU has a lot of great things to offer. A key difference is the style of the curriculum. GW you are in class 9-5 every day whereas at VCU you are in class 8-12. The curriculum is also systems based at VCU. The students at VCU seemed much happier to me...maybe because they aren't in class all day. VCU also has a lot of new developments planned, so it is definitely up and coming. The cost of living is also cheaper in Richmond. GW has the track system, which is neat and opportunities that you can have just by being in DC. However, the last two years at VCU you can rotate at Inova so you are closer to DC. So if you don't want to miss on the bigger city feel, you have an opportunity to seek it out your last two years. I'm obviously biased toward VCU because I wasn't impressed with GW on my interview, but take it as you will. :luck:

just got an invite at VCU and facing a similar dilemma with GW. is there any way to gain in-state residence in VA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just responded to you in the other thread, but I'll just copy and paste here too!

I interviewed at both and I would say VCU has a lot of great things to offer. A key difference is the style of the curriculum. GW you are in class 9-5 every day whereas at VCU you are in class 8-12. The curriculum is also systems based at VCU. The students at VCU seemed much happier to me...maybe because they aren't in class all day. VCU also has a lot of new developments planned, so it is definitely up and coming. The cost of living is also cheaper in Richmond. GW has the track system, which is neat and opportunities that you can have just by being in DC. However, the last two years at VCU you can rotate at Inova so you are closer to DC. So if you don't want to miss on the bigger city feel, you have an opportunity to seek it out your last two years. I'm obviously biased toward VCU because I wasn't impressed with GW on my interview, but take it as you will. :luck:

Thanks! That's really helpful. I absolutely loved GW when I interviewed but I should probably just go to VCU to check it out. I'm also curious about getting in state tuition after a year if we establish a residence there. Anyone know?

Thanks! That's really helpful. I absolutely loved GW when I interviewed but I should probably just go to VCU to check it out. I'm also curious about getting in state tuition after a year if we establish a residence there. Anyone know?

They made it very clear on our interview day at VCU that it is next to impossible to get in state tuition if you applied as OOS. I think there are very extreme situations where they might consider it (i.e. you have a spouse with a full time job who establishes residency in VA), but I wouldn't count on it.

I interviewed at both schools and I would say that the students at GW seemed much happier to me than the VCU students, so I think it could depend on who you meet. I have quite a few friends at VCU who have told me up front that they haven't been very happy there and have felt a lot of stress over their four years. This is of course a small sampling, but perhaps is worth thinking about.

I would definitely go to your VCU interview and see what you think. It's obviously very different for each person.

Keep in mind that GW has been on probation recently and a couple of deans, or maybe the president, were forced out of their positions...

GW isn't on probation anymore. The resignations could be viewed as either a good or bad thing. At least it shows they are cleaning house and striving to better the school.

It's true, GW is no longer on probation and they have the longest possible accreditation now. Many schools have been on probation at one time or another, fix the issue, then get off probation.

Also, I asked my interviewer specifically about the resignations/force outs. She said that while they are sorry to see these two men leave these positions, it was a necessary change. GW was operating under an older organizational structure that no longer made sense and positions were redundant. She said they really trust the individuals in the interim positions and that there should be no effect at all on the quality of the education at GW.

GW isn't on probation anymore. The resignations could be viewed as either a good or bad thing. At least it shows they are cleaning house and striving to better the school.

The drawback is that you likely won't be able to glean the positive effects of the probation (aside from the immediate ones such as new student lounges). From what I heard at my interview, GW is examining its current curriculum and the possiblity of changing it, which means that for us, the class of 2015, we will not be able to experience that new curriculum whenever they decide to plan it and implement it.

Overall, I personally was not impressed by GW at all. The university hospital is nice, but the facilities kinda seem lacking overall including the new things they built to address concerns from the probation. Plus, others can correct me if I am wrong, but you won't be spending much time at GW's university hospital anyways since clerkships are spread out since there are so many students. So from my perspective I'd go to the VCU interview just to compare the two and see how they are. This sounds weird, but I just didn't get a good vibe from GW, but that is me and based on my personal preferences. I didn't get a sense that it was a school that was on the rise, while others have said that VCU kinda has that feeling (but I haven't been to VCU so take what I say with a grain of salt!).

Thanks for your input everyone! Some people have been saying that the curriculum at VCU is systems based, but on their website it seems that they have more of a standard curriculum (normal physiology first year, pathology second year): http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/md/index.html.

Was something different mentioned during the interviews?

Thanks for your input everyone! Some people have been saying that the curriculum at VCU is systems based, but on their website it seems that they have more of a standard curriculum (normal physiology first year, pathology second year): http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/md/index.html.

Was something different mentioned during the interviews?

Oh, sorry, I meant to say that it's a block curriculum, not systems based. So you are only taking one or two classes at a time. You are right, it's normal physiology first year and pathology second.

The drawback is that you likely won't be able to glean the positive effects of the probation (aside from the immediate ones such as new student lounges). From what I heard at my interview, GW is examining its current curriculum and the possiblity of changing it, which means that for us, the class of 2015, we will not be able to experience that new curriculum whenever they decide to plan it and implement it.

Overall, I personally was not impressed by GW at all. The university hospital is nice, but the facilities kinda seem lacking overall including the new things they built to address concerns from the probation. Plus, others can correct me if I am wrong, but you won't be spending much time at GW's university hospital anyways since clerkships are spread out since there are so many students. So from my perspective I'd go to the VCU interview just to compare the two and see how they are. This sounds weird, but I just didn't get a good vibe from GW, but that is me and based on my personal preferences. I didn't get a sense that it was a school that was on the rise, while others have said that VCU kinda has that feeling (but I haven't been to VCU so take what I say with a grain of salt!).

I interviewed at both places and will likely go to VCU. I have to second what DonutShot said above about the vibe. Aside from the shiny for-profit hospital at GW, I wasn't overly impressed. Sure, the Foggy Bottom location is pretty cool, but that just translates to more $$ above the already pricey tuition. Sure, they have lots of cool kitchy programs, but how many of them will a student really have time to take advantage of?

Ultimately, this a gut thing. A lot of the basics between all schools are the same..I think you should definitely at least go to VCU to have a look. Maybe I'll see you next year!

LC

Status
Not open for further replies.