Guessing # unmatched spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I honestly don’t care. If we matched the top 200 medical students, still won’t change the demand for new radoncs and some of this class won’t have a job when they graduate. Filling match with high quality med students may Momentarily assuage “status anxiety” of high achievers already in the field, who haven’t yet come to terms with inhabiting a bottom rung specialty, but in long run Gravity at work here and we are falling to the bottom.

you can literally have mother teresa match but if she is trained by “academic leaders” with their heads on backwards and little real world experience it won’t matter

Members don't see this ad.

So is everyone hoping for a low number because it means the field is healthier, or a high number so you can say “I told you so”?

I am guessing a lot more of the latter... couched in the Zeitman canary in the coal mine argument, of course (to keep up appearances) - I.e. “a lot of unmatched spots is really good for the field in the long run”, right? What’s wrong a little schadenfreude between colleagues?

Put me down for 15-20% unmatched

I am hoping for a high number of unmatched spots so those that have the power to do so are forced to continue to critically evaluate the current state of the residency landscape and can make sweeping changes that improve quality of programs and lead to contraction or closure of programs that are not meeting those standards, just like what was done in the '90s. This discussion of the job market and what to do about it in relation to residency expansion was not a topic of discussion outside of SDN until the surprisingly high unmatched numbers of last years match.

Not just to say, "I told you so".

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure there is some element of wanting to see comeuppance for the "canaries in a coal mine" comment/mentality that our academic leadership have perpetuated. But I think the majority here care about the field and medical students who may go into it. That's the whole point of this website.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll say 150 matches and 50 unfilled. Hopeful this might do something but I would bet it won't in terms of the total number of graduates each year. Hard to see departments contracting their resident levels when its not in their immediate interest to do so in terms of finances and prestige. More likely they will just up recruitment of the lowest tier of medical students and FMGs in the future so 5 years from now the entering class of residents will resemble something like what seen in pathology today.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
5 years is a long residency with potential for things to get worse as you train. I wonder if fmg will be interested. Might be safer to go do 3 years of IM. Maybe we will get the non competitive fmg

Reactions: 1 user