GRE minimums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone apply and get accepted to a school where they didn't meet the minimum GRE scores for each section? For example I got a 410 V 660 Q and 4 AW, and some schools state that they want a 500 minimum on V and Q. Do you think I should be retaking the GRE? or is it ok to apply anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied with a sub par verbal score (450) and got into schools and waitlisted in a few. Your GRE scores is just ONE thing schools use to evaluate your application, and there are tons ofother factors to your application such as GPA, Letters of Rec, Obs. Hours, Misc. Activities, etc. Don't be too discouraged with your gre score, they're over the minimum of 1000, that most schools try to set. I think you have a great shot if your well rounded overall.

I scored a 680 math and a 410 verbal, and I'm definitely retaking it because of my verbal score. Since I have an average GPA (due to a couple C's here and there), I need to retake it cause I need all the help I can get!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with a really low verbal score, lower then your score even. GRE is not a make or break, it's just ONE part of your overall application.

did anyone apply and get accepted to a school where they didn't meet the minimum GRE scores for each section? For example I got a 410 V 660 Q and 4 AW, and some schools state that they want a 500 minimum on V and Q. Do you think I should be retaking the GRE? or is it ok to apply anyway?

I got in with a really low verbal score, lower then your score even. GRE is not a make or break, it's just ONE part of your overall application.

Yeah, I got a 1200, and I don't really think it made any difference in the schools I applied to.

The first time I took the GRE I got:
480-Verbal
690- Math
3.5- Writing

The school I was applying to had a 500 minimum in each, so I re-took it.

Second time I got:
540- Verbal
700- Math
4.0- Writing

I never tested the waters with the school to see if they would take me, being below their Minimum. Wasnt worth the risk to me!