gracious way to ask again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsmac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Now that I am in the position of reapplying, how do I approach the same people again for LORs? All 3 of my writers had no problem writing one for me. What is a gracious, intelligent way to say "Didn't get in this time...trying again. Want to write another letter for me? " :oops: Thanks

mrsmac

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably going to end up having to do the same thing. I'm just planning on basically doing exactly what you said. Tell them nicely that unfortunately you didnt get in this time and ask them if they can resend the letters. You may want to also mention what you have done to change/better your application. That way they can know how important it is to you. Also, make sure you ask them EARLY. One of the reasins I feel I didn't get in is because one of my letters was about 4 months late. :eek: Good luck! :D

mrsmac said:
Hi guys,

Now that I am in the position of reapplying, how do I approach the same people again for LORs? All 3 of my writers had no problem writing one for me. What is a gracious, intelligent way to say "Didn't get in this time...trying again. Want to write another letter for me? " :oops: Thanks

mrsmac

I've been through this so I definitely feel your pain. If I didn't get in the second time I was going to ask my lor writers for a new letter for a post bacc or a masters program, and I dreaded the thought. Thank goodness I didn't have to endure the uncomfortable situation. But to answer your question, most letter writers understand how competitive it is to gain admission to med school and recognize that not everyone gets in their first try. My writers were willing to forward their original letters (with updated comments added) to my premed committee file (don't ask why I didn't use them the first time :rolleyes: ) and my school is willing to submit the committee pkg/letter upon my request.

Let my experience serve as an example for future applicants, use your premed committee or a private letter collection service. That way you can avoid this awkward experience.

Note to OP be prepared to answer questions from your lor writers on why you feel you were unsuccessful in the application process. A few of my writers did this and I think it was more so out of surprise at my not getting an acceptance and their interest in seeing me achieve my goals. It was uncomfortable but I think it was helpful in identifying an area that WAS weak in my application. As a result this little exchange was beneficial in preparing me to take the necessary steps to strenghten my app and reapply successfully.

So with that said, go for it! You have nothing to lose, and can only gain from the experience.

Cheers!
rmp

I used the same letters that i used the last app cycle. It was only a yr difference. I had mine thru the LOR file my schl has at interfolio.com