GPR Interviews 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from any programs for GPR interviews yet? I know it may be a little early but I know some programs start giving interviews in early October

Members don't see this ad.

Idaho State University (AEGD) - Email (Sept 7th) - Interview Nov 11
University of Utah Dental GPR - Email (Aug 15th) - Interview Dec 19
Northwest Dental Residency - Email (Sept 27th) - Interview Oct 24

University of Michigan GPR - 9/22/11 - email, Interview Dates: 10/21-22
University of Louisville GPR - 10/4/11 - email, Interview Dates: 10/13, 11/4
Wake Forest University GPR - 10/4/11 - email, Interview Dates: 11/4, 11/18, 12/5
VA Houston, TX GPR - 10/6/11 - email, Interview Dates: 12/5-8, 12/12

Members don't see this ad :)
Received 'alternate applicant' status for Bay Pines VA (AEGD) - 10/7

Woodhull, Jacobi Medical Center, Montefiore

Received 'alternate applicant' status for Bay Pines VA (AEGD) - 10/7

Me too.Do you know exactly what they mean by the Alternate candidate?
I was interviewed at Wilksbarry VA GPR in late July.

I guess if their first round acceptances don't match, then you have a chance. I guess after match, they will contact you to interview if a spot opens up. I was expecting this as I'm not a US citizen, so I don't think I'll be a first round acceptance at any of the VAs

I guess if their first round acceptances don't match, then you have a chance. I guess after match, they will contact you to interview if a spot opens up. I was expecting this as I'm not a US citizen, so I don't think I'll be a first round acceptance at any of the VAs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a US citizen to be a resident at any VA program? All programs I applied to last year required US citizenship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a US citizen to be a resident at any VA program? All programs I applied to last year required US citizenship.

I think it depends on the program because some of the VAs I looked into required US citizenship, others said that US citizens have preference

I think it depends on the program because some of the VAs I looked into required US citizenship, others said that US citizens have preference

Oh, OK. Good luck then!

You really can't go wrong with the VA.. I'm at one now and it's great!

Hup

Hi Hup,
Are you in Providence VA? How is the program there?

Last edited:

I don't think they participate in Match.

Ohio State University---11/18/2011
University of Minnesota....12/5/2011

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Hup,
Are you in Providence VA? How is the program there?

Yep, at Providence VA. Great program. Really no complaints. It's an AEGD so no call, but we receive the same pay as a GPR (~$50k). Lots of prosth, surgery, operative, and we are just starting to place implants and do more perio surgery. Attendings are friendly and staff is a great bunch.

Hup

Oh Yeah forgot to mention. We are encouraged to do ALL of our own endo. We have the option of sending it out to a private endodontist, but it costs the VA $$.. so we do all our own. I've done molar endo through 6 unit FPD abutments. It's tough, but it makes other cases a breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear back from Northshore, Mt. Sinai, Stony Brook, or Northwestern?

Yep, at Providence VA. Great program. Really no complaints. It's an AEGD so no call, but we receive the same pay as a GPR (~$50k). Lots of prosth, surgery, operative, and we are just starting to place implants and do more perio surgery. Attendings are friendly and staff is a great bunch.

Hup

Oh Yeah forgot to mention. We are encouraged to do ALL of our own endo. We have the option of sending it out to a private endodontist, but it costs the VA $$.. so we do all our own. I've done molar endo through 6 unit FPD abutments. It's tough, but it makes other cases a breeze.

Thanks a lot Hup for your input.

Got an interview from 2 yr GPR program at VA & 1 yr AEGD at VCU in Richmond, Virginia by phone on 11/4 or 11/11....
I am really interested in this program. Can anyone tell me about this program??? Which is better 1 yr AEGD at VCU or 2 yr GPR at VA?? Not much inofrmation on their website..
Thank you.

Got an interview from 2 yr GPR program at VA & 1 yr AEGD at VCU in Richmond, Virginia by phone on 11/4 or 11/11....
I am really interested in this program. Can anyone tell me about this program??? Which is better 1 yr AEGD at VCU or 2 yr GPR at VA?? Not much inofrmation on their website..
Thank you.

What would you like to know? I'm at the Richmond VA...

Northwest via email on Oct. 7th - interview dates are Oct. 24, Nov. 14
U of Connecticut via email on Oct. 3rd - interview dates are Nov. 8,9,15,16,18,29,30

Canadian Applicant

I believe so! a lot of the VA programs require citizenship or Permanent residency to be considered..

Interview at -VA San Antonio AEGD
-UVA GPR
Can anybody please tell what kind of questions they usually ask? Do they ask clinical questions ?

Interview at -VA San Antonio AEGD
-UVA GPR
Can anybody please tell what kind of questions they usually ask? Do they ask clinical questions ?

UVA is a great program with some awesome residents. You'll work your tail off but come out with some great experiences.

The interview is laid back and you get to spend some time getting to know the residents. Don't stress this one - just go in there smiling and willing to learn.

Reactions: 1 user
What would you like to know? I'm at the Richmond VA...

Are you resident at VA or VCU??
I have given interviews already. VA has only 2 position and very compitative to get into...VA program is really good with only one drawback of 2 yrs compare to other program. A person who is ready to go for 2 yr like me, VA is always be my 1st choice in Virginia state.

Are you resident at VA or VCU??
I have given interviews already. VA has only 2 position and very compitative to get into...VA program is really good with only one drawback of 2 yrs compare to other program. A person who is ready to go for 2 yr like me, VA is always be my 1st choice in Virginia state.

I'm at the VA. We probably met :)

Soooo many amazing applicants this year! I think they're choosing this week or next so good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

UVA is a great program with some awesome residents. You'll work your tail off but come out with some great experiences.

The interview is laid back and you get to spend some time getting to know the residents. Don't stress this one - just go in there smiling and willing to learn.

Thanks a ton Mackchops.

Got interview at- Baltimore VA GPR and Lehigh Valley GPR, PA.

I've got one at the Chapel Hill AEGD and one at the Buffalo VA. Very excited for both! Any advice? Also, has anyone heard from the Providence VA?

Last edited:
I've already interviewed at Montefiore, Jacobi, Lutheran Medical Center - LICH, VA San Francisco, and am soon to visit USC, VA Jesse Brown, Brigham and Women's/Harvard.

I have friends with interviews at UW and VA Puget Sound, VA Dallas, University of New Mexico, Wake Forest, VA D.C.

when and how did you hear back from Brigham and Women hospital???

Did anybody get UMDNJ/GPR interview call 2011? Please suggest what do they ask in interview and what to expect on that day, what all documents do we need to be prepared with in advance.

Thanks

I'm at the VA. We probably met :)

Soooo many amazing applicants this year! I think they're choosing this week or next so good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

I wanted to join VA program and got rejection already...:( What do they mean by they kept my application on file in case there is any opening??

I wanted to join VA program and got rejection already...:( What do they mean by they kept my application on file in case there is any opening??

Hey sagul,
What did they ask in your interview? Can you share your experience plz. Did you give for AEGD or GPR?

Does anyone know any info about the GPR programs at North Shore or Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center?

Nope, I haven't heard from Stony Brook either. It's one of the places I've been waiting to hear back from...

when and how did you hear back from Brigham and Women hospital???

I heard from all by email, and from Brigham a couple weeks ago i think. I've also heard from VA Jesse Brown in chicago and the Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard SDM program as well. Anyone hear from VA Puget Sound, Rush, or Tufts?

Very different. Location, location, location

Can you give me some more info? I can only go to one of the interviews because I'm taking my boards the week after and can't stay in NY for the entire week, so I have to pick one. Any help would be much appreciated!

Got an interview at Newark Beth Israel GPR for Dec'11.

Can anybody tell about the interview process at Baltimore VA Gpr?

Hello guys, i got an interview to St. Mary's Hospital GPR on Dec. 7. Does anyone else going to their interview as well? does anyone have any suggestions or opinions about this program for me? thank you!

Got an interview date from Providence VA- Dec 8,9,15 or 16.

Anyone hear from Cedars-Sinai in LA?

does anyone knows about st. mary's hospital's GPR program?
can anyone share their GPR interview experiences? thank you.

Has anyone heard from Palmetto Health GPR in Columbia, SC? Or does anyone know when they interview and when they stop interviewing? Thanks.

Got an offer from Baltimore VA today and I accepted it.I am extremely happy.:)