GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also received an email saying that I would hear back from them by December 1st, but I haven't heard anything from them yet either since then.. Anxiously waiting.

Right!! Glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if no one is going to hear today.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

I almost feel like they might not tell us until next week since they haven't sent out emails by now. :( All my emails that I received from them in the past were sent in the morning.

I guess no answer so far is better than a no though! I'll just tell myself that.

I feel like if they were going to push the date back, we would’ve heard by now, ya know? So it better be today!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from TWU yet, waiting anxiously. I know the interviews are January 10th and 11th so I'm assuming they are going to have to give people enough time for travel arrangements.

I also received an email saying that I would hear back from them by December 1st, but I haven't heard anything from them yet either since then.. Anxiously waiting.

Yeah, I honestly feel like we're not going to hear anything today... Wish they would have sent us some sort of update on that though so I didn't drive myself crazy waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
I heard from them a bit ago!!

Has anyone heard back from TWU yet, waiting anxiously. I know the interviews are January 10th and 11th so I'm assuming they are going to have to give people enough time for travel arrangements.
They won’t be sending out invites to interviews until sometime this week or next. On their website it says the first week of December

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I honestly feel like we're not going to hear anything today... Wish they would have sent us some sort of update on that though so I didn't drive myself crazy waiting!
Wonder if they are sending all the emails out at the same time

Well was not accepted, im a hold candidate. :(. Congrats to everyone who got accepted though!

TWU is doing interviews this year??

TWU is doing interviews this year??
Yes it's posted on their website that they will hold all interviews between January 10 and 11, so hopefully we will hear back soon. Did you apply there?

Hi everyone!! I can't begin to explain how much looking at prospective OT's stats have motivated me and helped me prepare for when it was my time to apply. I am happy to share my experience in hopes of helping someone else.

Undergraduate University:
University of North Alabama
Degree: Exercise Science
Concentration: Clinical Exercise Physiology
Cumulative GPA (not completed yet): 3.85
Prerequisite GPA (not completed yet): 3.67 (UAB) 3.76 (USA) 3.56 (Belmont) 3.82 (Nova OTD) 3.64 (UF)
GRE: 150 V 154 Q 3.0 AW (I'm awful at writing under pressure)

Tip/Motivation for those that aren't the best at the GRE: I took the GRE in January 2017 after studying (aka cramming) for a month and walked out crying because I did awful. I was so defeated and never thought I would earn a competitive score. I studied more effectively and retook it in September and I WENT UP 12 POINTS. If you struggle with standardized test here are the study materials I used that helped me soooo much.
1. Kaplan GRE book (comes with tons of online full-length practice tests: Taking the GRE is A LOT about the endurance of taking a 4-hour test. The practice test is just like the actual test & it works every single question out for you to review at the end. I did this over and over.
2. VictorPrep Vocab Podcast: OH MY GOODNESS this helped my verbal score soooo much. This is a podcast that I used to listen to every time I was in my car. A precious, British man explains vocabs word in such an understandable way. I enjoyed this so much that I STILL listen to them. I have come across tons of the words he goes over on the GRE (as well as life).

Applying to: University of South Alabama, Nova Southeastern University (OTD), University of Florida, Belmont & UAB.

Shadowing: 6 settings, Total: 233 hours
- Pediatrics (76 hrs)
- Skilled Nursing Facility (16 hrs)
- Outpatient Clinic (102 hrs)
- 2 Acute Care/ Hospitals (14 hrs)
- Locked Psychiatric Hospital (25 hrs)
- & will be doing a 200-hour internship at a pediatric clinic in the spring of 2018 (this went on my application as pending hours & I mentioned in my interview/personal statement)

Volunteer:
I was in a sorority, so we did tons of volunteering in different settings (5Ks, philanthropy events, university events, ect.)
Historian & VP of a minority scholarship group
Special Olympics chair of Human Performance Research Group

Reviewer for the International Journal of Exercise Science

Achievements:

Presider at the ASAHPERD conference
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Gamma Sigma Alpha Alpha Gamma Delta
Dean's List (4 semesters)
The National Society of Leadership and Success
Vanguard Scholarship
Presidential Mentor's Academy Scholarship

Work:
I have been a tumbling instructor/cheer coach for 6 years

Misc:
I am a Mexican female, so I am hoping that being bilingual will give me an edge lol

References:
- 1 from a professor that is also the head of our Exercise Science Department
- 1 from an OT I shadowed nearly all summer
- 1 from a PT

Interviews: Nova Video Interview (11/27), University of South Alabama (1/19) UAB (1/26)
Rejections: Belmont (received an email saying my application is deferred for future consideration, will update if I hear back from them)
Acceptances: NSU OTD program in Tampa, FL!!!! (12/6) UAB (2/2)
Attending: University of Alabama-Birmingham !!!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL MY FELLOW ASPIRING OTs <3

P.S if you have any questions I will be happy to respond :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!! I can't begin to explain how much looking at prospective OT's stats have motivated me and helped me prepare for when it was my time to apply. I am happy to share my experience in hopes of helping someone else.

Undergraduate University:
University of North Alabama
Degree: Exercise Science
Concentration: Clinical Exercise Physiology
Cumulative GPA (not completed yet): 3.85
Prerequisite GPA (not completed yet): 3.67 (UAB) 3.76 (USA) 3.56 (Belmont) 3.82 (Nova OTD) 3.64 (UF)
GRE: 150 V 154 Q 3.0 AW (I'm awful at writing under pressure)

Tip/Motivation for those that aren't the best at the GRE: I took the GRE in January 2017 after studying (aka cramming) for a month and walked out crying because I did awful. I was so defeated and never thought I would earn a competitive score. I studied more effectively and retook it in September and I WENT UP 12 POINTS. If you struggle with standardized test here are the study materials I used that helped me soooo much.
1. Kaplan GRE book (comes with tons of online full-length practice tests: Taking the GRE is A LOT about the endurance of taking a 4-hour test. The practice test is just like the actual test & it works every single question out for you to review at the end. I did this over and over.
2. VictorPrep Vocab Podcast: OH MY GOODNESS this helped my verbal score soooo much. This is a podcast that I used to listen to every time I was in my car. A precious, British man explains vocabs word in such an understandable way. I enjoyed this so much that I STILL listen to them. I have come across tons of the words he goes over on the GRE (as well as life).

Applying to: University of South Alabama, Nova Southeastern University (OTD), University of Florida, Belmont & UAB.

Shadowing: 6 settings, Total: 233 hours
- Pediatrics (76 hrs)
- Skilled Nursing Facility (16 hrs)
- Outpatient Clinic (102 hrs)
- 2 Acute Care/ Hospitals (14 hrs)
- Locked Psychiatric Hospital (25 hrs)
- & will be doing a 200-hour internship at a pediatric clinic in the spring of 2018 (this went on my application as pending hours & I mentioned in my interview/personal statement)

Volunteer:
I was in a sorority, so we did tons of volunteering in different settings (5Ks, philanthropy events, university events, ect.)
Historian & VP of a minority scholarship group
Special Olympics chair of Human Performance Research Group

Reviewer for the International Journal of Exercise Science

Achievements:

Presider at the ASAHPERD conference
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Gamma Sigma Alpha Alpha Gamma Delta
Dean's List (4 semesters)
The National Society of Leadership and Success
Vanguard Scholarship
Presidential Mentor's Academy Scholarship

Work:
I have been a tumbling instructor/cheer coach for 6 years

Misc:
I am a Mexican female, so I am hoping that being bilingual will give me an edge lol

References:
- 1 from a professor that is also the head of our Exercise Science Department
- 1 from an OT I shadowed nearly all summer
- 1 from a PT

Interviews: Nova Video Interview (11/27)
Rejections: Belmont (received an email saying my application is deferred for future consideration, will update if I hear back from them)
Acceptances:

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL MY FELLOW ASPIRING OTs <3

P.S if you have any questions I will be happy to respond :)
I have a video interview with Boston University this week, and I'm nervous because I have no idea what they are like! What was yours like? Your stats look great, and congrats on getting your GRE up so much! That's incredible!

Yes it's posted on their website that they will hold all interviews between January 10 and 11, so hopefully we will hear back soon. Did you apply there?
Wow, I must have completely missed that when I was applying! Yeah I did, I'm super nervous because that's the school I want to go to the most. Do you think they'll inform us early in the week?

Wow, I must have completely missed that when I was applying! Yeah I did, I'm super nervous because that's the school I want to go to the most. Do you think they'll inform us early in the week?
So they posted on their site that they will send out invites the first week of December so we should hear soon. TWU houston is my top choice, I want to go there so bad! Good luck to you, excited we will get answers soon. The waiting game is the worst!

So they posted on their site that they will send out invites the first week of December so we should hear soon. TWU houston is my top choice, I want to go there so bad! Good luck to you, excited we will get answers soon. The waiting game is the worst!
They emailed me this afternoon!!!

I heard back today and got accepted!
Did you receive an email from Pitt on Friday saying your application is under review? I received that email Friday and I was just wondering how long it took for you to hear back from them. Congrats by the way!

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm confused with verification on OTCAS. All that is verified is transcripts, correct? Like after I get the email from OTCAS about my transcripts being verified and sent to my schools, does that count as my application being verified? Thanks in advance!

Thank you! Yeah, I got an email on Friday saying that they were reviewing my application and I got an email this afternoon about my acceptance.
When did you apply? Sorry for all the questions!

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm confused with verification on OTCAS. All that is verified is transcripts, correct? Like after I get the email from OTCAS about my transcripts being verified and sent to my schools, does that count as my application being verified? Thanks in advance!
I think that must be how it works. I submitted my first applications in October and had to wait until my transcripts were verified for the application itself to be marked as verified. I submitted another application in November and it was almost immediately verified, which I was very surprised about, especially since it was a Friday night.

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
Sure!
cum GPA- 3.73
prereq GPA- ~3.8
GRE- 155 verbal, 154 quant, 5.5 writing
around 500 shadowing hours in 7 settings
work experience as a caregiver for TBI as well as multi-disability children ~1000 hours

Thank you! Yeah, I got an email on Friday saying that they were reviewing my application and I got an email this afternoon about my acceptance.
Congrats! That is so exciting! In your email on Friday did it state in how many weeks they were going to let you know your decision?

Hi everyone! I just heard back from Cleveland State today and was informed that I am accepted as long as I finish up their prerequisites. I was hoping some of you could give me some advice. One of the classes is a neuroscience lab I am currently looking in my area and can't seem to find any school that offers this course. Do any of you have any advice!?

Undergraduate University: Truman State University (2 years) University of Missouri-Kansas City (2 years)
Degree: Bachelors of Health Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.35
Prerequisite GPA 3.5-3.7 (depends on school)
GRE: Have not taken. Applied to all schools that do not require GRE.

Work:
-Daycare assistant for 2 summers with children ranging from 4-7, created lesson plans and activities
-Sales associate at a local jewelry store
-Undergraduate research assistant for 2 years in the physiology department A.T. Still University in Kirksville MO

Volunteer/Extracurriculars:
-70+ hours at an outpatient rehab facility
-Americorp Member with Jumpstart Children First. 300+ hours going into low income neighborhoods and teaching underprivileged children language and literacy techniques.
-30+ with a program that facilitates activities with men and women with intellectual and physical disabilities

Observation experience:
- 16 Hours Outpatient
- 4 Hours Geriatric
- 9 Hours Pediatric
- 25 Hours Inpatient
- 4 Hours Home Health

Misc: CPR/AED certified, NIH Protecting Human Research Participant certification

References:
- 1 from an OT
- 2 from volunteer coordinators
- 1 from a manager from work experience

Applying to: Allen College, Pacific University, Rockhurst, Cox College, University of Minnesota (both campuses), A.T. Still University, University of the Sciences

Interviews: (So far) Allen College (11-20), A.T. Still University (11-17)
Acceptances: Allen College (12-1)
Rejections: University of the Sciences:/
Waitlisted: Waitlisted for an interview at Rockhurst

Did Usciences say why they rejected you?

Has anyone heard from University of the Sciences, Mary Baldwin(Murphy Deming), Salus University?

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Ohio State?

Hi guys. First time applicant and only applying to most of TX MOT programs.
TWU, Texas Tech, UTMB, UT San Antonio and UT El Paso. I completed all my applications for both OTCAS and the school websites within August 2017.

Stats.
Undergrad: Montclair State University
Bachelors degree: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.67
Pre-req GPA: 3.7-3.8
GRE: 1st V 145 Q 146 W 4
2nd V 148 Q 144 W 4 (below average :( but hopefully my other requirements are enough to get in)
Volunteer: 120 hours in different kinds of settings. Neuro, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Outpatient and Inpatient.
Research: Obesity research in exercise science 1year, Biology bacteriophage research 2 years.
Internship: Cardiac Rehab exercise physiologist intern at a hospital 1year.
Certification: BLS, certificate of recognition from Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
Extra: bio club, exercise science club, global medical brigades, special olympics NJ
Job: 3 years university tutor, 1 year university lab assistant teacher

INTERVIEWS: Texas Tech (12/08), UTHSC San Antonio (12/19), TWU (1/11), UTMB (1/19)
ACCEPTANCE:
REJECTION:

Goodluck to everyone!

Did Usciences say why they rejected you?
They sent me a letter in the mail and it was very general. It said something like.. we have chosen to go with more qualified applicants at this time. So unfortunately not. I have gotten into another school so didn't bother calling to ask why I did not get into Usciences. Sorry!

I just realized that if you don't have a prerequisite for Pitt completed, then they won't review your application until you have submitted your grade for the class. I was worried about what happened with my application because I had submitted it in August and still hadn't heard anything..but I looked back through past emails and saw that I missed the point about the prerequisites (I am in the process of completing one of them this semester).

So if anyone else was worried about not hearing back, then this could possibly be a reason why!

T
I just realized that if you don't have a prerequisite for Pitt completed, then they won't review your application until you have submitted your grade for the class. I was worried about what happened with my application because I had submitted it in August and still hadn't heard anything..but I looked back through past emails and saw that I missed the point about the prerequisites (I am in the process of completing one of them this semester).

So if anyone else was worried about not hearing back, then this could possibly be a reason why!

THIS IS THE EXACT REASON WHY I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS FORUM! I get more help from fellow applicants then I often get from admissions personnel.

Shout out to every individual on here who has taken a huge step and applied to graduate school! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone up here applied to OT schools that already has a Masters degree in another field?

Exact same thing happened with me! Don’t worry everyone once you finish pre reqs you’ll be set

Exact same thing happened with me! Don’t worry everyone once you finish pre reqs you’ll be set
So I just got my final grade in a class today, and I remember Pitt telling me to email them as well as submit my new transcript during the academic update window on OTCAS. just a heads up!!

Wish I didn’t have to wait for my official transcript to be finalized before my application can be reviewed!

So I just got my final grade in a class today, and I remember Pitt telling me to email them as well as submit my new transcript during the academic update window on OTCAS. just a heads up!!

Wish I didn’t have to wait for my official transcript to be finalized before my application can be reviewed!
Yeah I was gonna update my OTCAS once all my grades are in! It’s super annoying we have to wait for official transcripts to be sent.

Has anyone up here applied to OT schools that already has a Masters degree in another field?
Hey I am a current OTD student but I went through the application process last year while finishing up my Masters of Public Health. If you have any questions, then I may be able to help!