GPA requirement for Australian / New Zealand Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowyface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from a Canadian university with a BSc degree. However, my GPA sucks so much but I still managed to get into a MSc program in Hong Kong. I am not in the science stream right now but would like to pursue a career in medicine. So I would like to know what is the minimum GPA are the Australian and New Zealand universities looking for. And the thing is, the university I obtained my BSc degree from did not use GPA, instead, it used letter grades as well as %. So how would I transform the % calculation into GPA in the Aussie system?

And I would like to know, which medical schools will have a lower GPA requirement, but still not too crappy as of the quality? Since I heard that, some medical program in Australia do consider overseas students with low GPA. Can someone clarify me on this, so that I could know whether I am qualified to apply, or just a dream that I can never achieve.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on which school you apply to. usyd needs a 5.5 gpa which should translate to 65% or 2.7 (canadian). uq needs a 5.0, which seems to be 65% or 2.7 (canadian). some schools look at graduate degree. best thing to do is to see which university you're interested in, and email them. might help to be a little more specific with your gpa and mcats... someone might be able to advise you.

If you tell us what your GPA is, we can give you a better answer.