GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike9999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new here - found the site the other day and have been lurking, reading like crazy, and there's lots of good information here as I get ready to start applying.

Here's my issue. I'm just finishing my second bachelor's degree (in psychology; the first was in written communication) at a mid-major university. Now, my first go-round in college I was relatively unfocused and immature, and graduated with an unimpressive 3.2 GPA. A couple of years later, I decided I wanted to go back for clinical psych, so I re-enrolled, and 3 years later have carried a solid 4.0 GPA. Amazing what a little maturity and work can do, I guess. I took the GRE and did reasonably well (1300s). I have some research and clinical experience. I'm anticipating having very solid letters of recommendation.

Now, I know that schools will notice if your GPA improves in your last two years, and it's my hope that an admissions committee will see my progression for what it is; someone who finally grew up and figured out what he wanted to do with his life. I don't think I'm unrealistic about my chances - I'm applying mostly to second or lower-tier schools. Do I need to provide an explanation, in my personal statement or elsewhere, for my previously low GPA? Should I worry? :scared: I've worked hard since coming back for my psych degree, and like to look at my 4.0 GPA as a strength. I'd hate to get hosed now for relatively poor undergrad performance almost ten years ago.

Thanks in advance for any insight. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

I'm new here - found the site the other day and have been lurking, reading like crazy, and there's lots of good information here as I get ready to start applying.

Here's my issue. I'm just finishing my second bachelor's degree (in psychology; the first was in written communication) at a mid-major university. Now, my first go-round in college I was relatively unfocused and immature, and graduated with an unimpressive 3.2 GPA. A couple of years later, I decided I wanted to go back for clinical psych, so I re-enrolled, and 3 years later have carried a solid 4.0 GPA. Amazing what a little maturity and work can do, I guess. I took the GRE and did reasonably well (1300s). I have some research and clinical experience. I'm anticipating having very solid letters of recommendation.

Now, I know that schools will notice if your GPA improves in your last two years, and it's my hope that an admissions committee will see my progression for what it is; someone who finally grew up and figured out what he wanted to do with his life. I don't think I'm unrealistic about my chances - I'm applying mostly to second or lower-tier schools. Do I need to provide an explanation, in my personal statement or elsewhere, for my previously low GPA? Should I worry? :scared: I've worked hard since coming back for my psych degree, and like to look at my 4.0 GPA as a strength. I'd hate to get hosed now for relatively poor undergrad performance almost ten years ago.

Thanks in advance for any insight. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Let's say worst case scenario is that they average both your undergraduate records. You would have at least a 3.4 or better GPA. Now if you went to a different school for each degree, then they are going to break out each school on the application. Even if they don't the fact that you have 2 degrees will stand out. Your 1300 GRE should be adequate to get past the hurdle. I would make a passing mention in my personal statement.

You will be fine. I can't imagine this killing your application.

Mark

I think you should be okay. I did a double major and ended up with a 3.35 cumulative (3.9 psych), major upswing once I went back to school. Had a bad time when I first started college. Still ended up getting multiple interviews and several offers. Currently attending a pretty freaking good PhD program. I had solid LORs and my GRE was similar to yours (1330 I think).

Make sure you look to match with profs at the schools you are looking at.

Good luck!

When I was going to community college for an associate's degree, I took a bunch of psych classes to make sure it was what I wanted to do. In the very beginning of community college, I was a complete mess and wasn't doing well in some classes. I ended up getting a D in abnormal psychology, lol.

I remember when I was at my interview for my master's program... I had provided them with my transcripts from undergrad, as well as community college. My interviewer was like, "What is with this D in abnormal psychology?" He said it with a laugh though, because my cumulative undergrad GPA was a 3.94 with a 4.0 in psychology.

I got into both my masters and doctoral programs with pretty bad GRE scores-- so I wouldn't worry to much... grade improvements do get noticed, you have good GRE scores, and schools look at other criteria as well.