PhD/PsyD Question about GPA calculation for PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YahYouBetcha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took some classes at a university right after high school and did not do so well in them. However, I worked hard at the college I transferred to and ended up graduating with honors. Now, I'm doing a Master's in Psychology, and my GPA for this program is higher than my college GPA.

How will Psychology PhD admissions look at this? Will they calculate all my coursework (undergrad + grad) into one GPA? Or will they consider them separately? And, if so, do they place more emphasis on undergrad or graduate GPA's? ...I'm trying to figure out how competitive my application is right now and if I need to take any additional courses to offset the lower undergrad GPA (or even re-take some of those courses, if possible).

Also, if it matters, I have A's in the core psychology courses- Stats, Research Methods, etc. The classes I did poorly in are unrelated to psych. I believe that the psych GPA is another calculation that they do.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Every application does it differently. I had to calculate about 5 different types of GPAs for my application, as I did a master's, undergrad, and took some night classes. Some will ask you for overall, some will ask you to split it out by school or degree type, some will ask for psych only. Just use your judgment, keep a record of what you did, and be honest. They'll have all your transcripts as well, and none of the schools I applied to asked me any questions about my calculations or GPAs.

Honestly, I am not sure many even verify the GPA you provide - though, of course, some places will.