GPA question (US to UK)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windycitycassie

Prophetess of Doom
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. :) I have posted on medschoolguide, but I never seem to get any real responses, so I hope this is better...

Basically, does anyone know how GPA converts? I'm interested in knowing if I'm just in trouble in applying to UK schools, even if I'm a resident (I will be in 3 years - getting married).

I have a 3.16 Undergraduate GPA in history, which I'm assuming equates to something like a 2:ii, which is bad to have in Britain. Since I didn't get a degree in a science, I was planning on taking A levels in Bio, Chem, and Physics and then possibly the GAMSAT as well so I can apply to programs (probably 5 year ones) when I get residency.

So am I just not going to have any luck, due to my history undergrad gpa from 1997, regardless? It's easier to fix up my undergrad GPA and get in a school in the US, but my personal situation has me going to Britain.

Thanks for reading this if you've made it this far! :)

Members don't see this ad.

windycitycassie said:
Hi, all. :) I have posted on medschoolguide, but I never seem to get any real responses, so I hope this is better...

Basically, does anyone know how GPA converts? I'm interested in knowing if I'm just in trouble in applying to UK schools, even if I'm a resident (I will be in 3 years - getting married).

I have a 3.16 Undergraduate GPA in history, which I'm assuming equates to something like a 2:ii, which is bad to have in Britain. Since I didn't get a degree in a science, I was planning on taking A levels in Bio, Chem, and Physics and then possibly the GAMSAT as well so I can apply to programs (probably 5 year ones) when I get residency.

So am I just not going to have any luck, due to my history undergrad gpa from 1997, regardless? It's easier to fix up my undergrad GPA and get in a school in the US, but my personal situation has me going to Britain.

Thanks for reading this if you've made it this far! :)

There is no way to convert a U.S. GPA to a British Honours Degree Classification simply; the U.S. GPA is an average calculation over four years with many introductory classes while the U.K. BSc degree classification incorporates advanced science classes throughout (no liberal arts for a BSc) with the performance in the final year being what determines the Hons classification at most schools. Now, that said, the British medical schools that reserve places for international students tend to see a large number of applications from North America so they will have a very good handle on what your undergraduate GPA means.

BTW, there's nothing "bad" about a 2:ii Hons degree; the Honours year is no joke, mate....I had to work night and day in the final year to earn a 2:i. While most medical schools ask for at least a 2:1, many students with a 2:ii have gained entry after a fine showing on the GAMSAT or with a higher degree.

A-levels usually take two years. That is one option but it may be a stretch since you are entering the British system so late and you are physically present in another country. Without a science undergraduate degree, your best option right now will be a six-year MBBS/MBChB (medical degree) in the U.K. where year 1 is a foundation science year (usually biological science, chemistry, physics etc.). I don't know how many Americans/Canadians have taken this route, but it's worth a shot. Not all schools require the GAMSAT - usually the 4-year medical courses, though they generally require a science undergraduate degree and, since they were created to alleviate the acute physician shortage in the U.K., most internationals don’t have success with that route. You will be well-trained in a British medical school...whatever route you choose.

Lastly, unless you intend to stay in the U.K. and practice indefinitely, it's best to study medicine in the country where you will eventually live. It will save a mountain of headaches in the interim. All the best!

Thanks. :) I see you post on that other site. ;)

The problem is a lot of even 6 year programs don't want a graduate who hasn't gotten a 2:i to even apply and won't look at you. I have emailed a few of them just to see what they recommended me to do, but I did this over the Easter holiday, so I probably won't get a reply until the week after next.

Yeah, I know how the residency stuff works... I was just going to take A levels or OU or whatever in the 3 years I'll be waiting to get residency so I could apply as a resident and also show that I'm no idiot.

Totally agree on your last point, and I may actually end up staying here. It just looks that my personal situation will end up with me being in Britain. (I have a summer undergraduate course here this summer anyway and a good backup plan.)

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
windycitycassie said:
Thanks. :) I see you post on that other site. ;)

The problem is a lot of even 6 year programs don't want a graduate who hasn't gotten a 2:i to even apply and won't look at you. I have emailed a few of them just to see what they recommended me to do, but I did this over the Easter holiday, so I probably won't get a reply until the week after next.

Yeah, I know how the residency stuff works... I was just going to take A levels or OU or whatever in the 3 years I'll be waiting to get residency so I could apply as a resident and also show that I'm no idiot.

Totally agree on your last point, and I may actually end up staying here. It just looks that my personal situation will end up with me being in Britain. (I have a summer undergraduate course here this summer anyway and a good backup plan.)

Thanks! :)
But you're not a British graduate (which is what the 2:i stipulation is about). Did you ask them if they'll look at you? Have you also looked at Ireland? Have you considered U.S. M.D./D.O. schools?

Scottish Chap said:
But you're not a British graduate (which is what the 2:i stipulation is about). Did you ask them if they'll look at you? Have you also looked at Ireland? Have you considered U.S. M.D./D.O. schools?
Most of them do accept 'international applicants', so I'm assuming there is no problem. A few said they don't accept a degree from an international school, but if I had A levels, I don't see how that would be a problem.

I did email a few schools to ask what the deal is if you're a British resident with an American BA, so sometime I'll hear back. Although I may just get my fiance to phone them up if I don't get an email response.

Ireland is a bit out of the question... UK is the route we'd prefer to go, but if things don't work out we'll do the US.

I'll think they'll be less bothered by the GPA than by the fact that it's a BA, and not a BSc.

If you've got some time to spare and the med schools will accept it, then the OU might be an easier route than A levels (which are hard - degrees are lots easier!), especially as you might be able to use some of your US credit to go towards an OU science degree.

But this is definitely a ring up and talk to the med schools dilemma. You're too far out of the normal to fit into the standard responses.

FionaS said:
I'll think they'll be less bothered by the GPA than by the fact that it's a BA, and not a BSc.

If you've got some time to spare and the med schools will accept it, then the OU might be an easier route than A levels (which are hard - degrees are lots easier!), especially as you might be able to use some of your US credit to go towards an OU science degree.

But this is definitely a ring up and talk to the med schools dilemma. You're too far out of the normal to fit into the standard responses.
Thank you for the reply, Fiona. :)

Yeah I ended up talking to like 7 schools... For the most part, my current degree is useless and some places don't even care that I have a degree since it wasn't in the UK. So basically, I have to get my A levels (or OU as you suggested). I do have 3 years until I get residency, so that gives me enough time to get two A2 and an AS level in some subject, so I think that is perhaps the best route. So I'm thinking A2 in chem and bio, and AS in physics or something.

At least for A level classes, I pay the normal resident rate after a year, as opposed to three years of residency to pay home rate at med schools...and OU classes cost me the same as anyone in the UK.