Got a 520ish on COMSAE. Curious what to think.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey all, I got a 520 on this year's COMSAE. Sorta disappointed? I mean I was planning on taking the USMLE and I am almost done with UWORLD (88%ish with a 50% average).
I'm really just aiming for PMR, Neuro, and IM but not even sure if I should take the USMLE now.
I was really studying for the USMLE, not doing a lot of pharm and physio since USMLE has mainly patho but I having been doing other nonpath subjects too. Just really disappointed though.

I mean is a 520 good enough to match into decent programs I listed above? Would getting a good USMLE make up for a 520? The national average was a 450 I think but that seems kinda low idk.

Any advice peeps? I am suppose to take USMLE 5/21 and COMLEX 5/24. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok a couple things:

I mean I was planning on taking the USMLE and I am almost done with UWORLD (88%ish with a 50% average).
50% on UW means you have content deficits. You need to fix those.

I got a 520 on this year's COMSAE.

what comsae? was it an old one or one of the new ones? If it was a new one then a 520 is pretty good as a baseline.
I was really studying for the USMLE, not doing a lot of pharm and physio since USMLE has mainly patho

Yeah this isn't true at all, don't know why you think this. Have you taken an NBME? You might want to if you think USMLE is mainly pathology
Would getting a good USMLE make up for a 520?
What are you talking about? a 520 is a decent COMLEX score. No not ortho status but decent. And a good USMLE score will make up for any COMLEX score.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok a couple things:

50% on UW means you have content deficits. You need to fix those.

what comsae? was it an old one or one of the new ones? If it was a new one then a 520 is pretty good as a baseline.

Yeah this isn't true at all, don't know why you think this. Have you taken an NBME? You might want to if you think USMLE is mainly pathology

What are you talking about? a 520 is a decent COMLEX score. No not ortho status but decent. And a good USMLE score will make up for any COMLEX score.
right, would a 520 be enough for matching into Neuro/PMR or IM? I really am shooting for PMR.

I have been focusing on non path subjects also, I would so I did a lot since then.
Would you think I still have to take the USMLE with a 520 comlex if I just want to match into any decent program with a 520 COMLEX?
Thanks.

right, would a 520 be enough for matching into Neuro/PMR or IM? I really am shooting for PMR.

I have been focusing on non path subjects also, I would so I did a lot since then.
Would you think I still have to take the USMLE with a 520 comlex if I just want to match into any decent program with a 520 COMLEX?
Thanks.
I think the COMSAE isn't indicative of how you'll do on USMLE so you need to take an NBME. I think you could match PMR with just COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I got a 520 on this year's COMSAE. Sorta disappointed? I mean I was planning on taking the USMLE and I am almost done with UWORLD (88%ish with a 50% average).
I'm really just aiming for PMR, Neuro, and IM but not even sure if I should take the USMLE now.
I was really studying for the USMLE, not doing a lot of pharm and physio since USMLE has mainly patho but I having been doing other nonpath subjects too. Just really disappointed though.

I mean is a 520 good enough to match into decent programs I listed above? Would getting a good USMLE make up for a 520? The national average was a 450 I think but that seems kinda low idk.

Any advice peeps? I am suppose to take USMLE 5/21 and COMLEX 5/24. Thanks.
What gives you confidence that you'll get a good USMLE score? You've shown nothing to indicate that you would score above the 220 that you would need to justify taking Step 1

Reactions: 1 users
What gives you confidence that you'll get a good USMLE score? You've shown nothing to indicate that you would score above the 220 that you would need to justify taking Step 1
Thanks for your response, But.., Ok lets just hold the breaks. I was just asking based on the data I had, I know that probably doesn't indicate anything about USMLE but I wanted an idea on where I stood. I already did enough research to know that NBMEs (esp 18) and UWORLD Form 2 are the best indicators on how one would do on the USMLE.
I'll have more information within the coming days. I'll get back to you all on that.

Whoever told you that USMLE is mostly path fed you a load of ****. Path might be the heaviest subject but it’s nowhere near “most” of the test. If anything its like 30% path, 20% pharm, 20% micro, then 30% everything else. If you’ve been focusing on path and neglecting other subjects because of that, you need to start studying those.

As for score predictions, what COMSAE did you take? The only one I took was E because it’s mandated by my school to take it and pass before we’re allowed to sit for COMLEX. From what I’ve heard throughout the year nearly all of us in my class consistently scored 50-75 points below our COMSAE score, with people in all score ranges.

As for score predictions, what COMSAE did you take? The only one I took was E because it’s mandated by my school to take it and pass before we’re allowed to sit for COMLEX. From what I’ve heard throughout the year nearly all of us in my class consistently scored 50-75 points below our COMSAE score, with people in all score ranges.
If this was last year it is no longer that way.

Are they using new COMSAEs or has the accuracy changed because of this new "COMLEX Blueprint"
They are using the new COMSAEs and I think the NBOME adjusted the curve to be super harsh in response to last year. Our class only had 2 people break 600 and a 500+ was in the 90th percentile for our class. Last year most of the class was in the 500s with like 4-5 scoring over 700 on the class administered COMSAE.

Reactions: 1 user