Good time to pursue an MBA? What to look for in an MBA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My search wasn't as fruitful, came across a few similar threads but nothing that would address my personal questions.

So, I am currently an intern. I know it's not worth the few hours I have avail to me to devote to MBA studies. Outside of AP Economics, I did not take any business classes in college. Never got around to it. I got caught up in the social sciences and a foreign language and the hours the business classes were being offered sucked. Anyways, both my parents are in business (accounting), but they aren't accountants. It's always been in the back of my mind, though. Lots of things were actually in the back of my mind. I've recently began looking into MBA programs (for fun, just to see what's out there, the options, etc.) I am considering doing something in consulting, like Pharma or Biotech industry. I'd also one day like to start or co-found a practice group.

When should I consider pursuing an MBA? I know written boards are taken right after residency ends and oral boards 2 years later. I know it's important to have a job or fellowship after residency. Which MBA programs (and what focus) should I consider pursuing? I'm currently in the New England area, but don't mind going anywhere good. I understand a lot require the GRE or GMAT, does this mean I would need to take one of these exams as well? Which do you recommend? I'm not worried about all this now, just wanting to collect information so that I may be ready to get ball rolling when the time comes to do so.

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate your time!

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion would be to pursue an MBA after you're finished residency. Some employers will fund your B-school education. Go for an executive MBA program where courses are held on alternating weekends. You'll be done in 2 years and you'll establish strong professional connections.