Go Ross!....and Thank You Texas.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like Ross University will be the first "Off-shore Caribbean school" to be officially recognized by Texas as "substantially equivalent" to Texas medical schools. Currently none of the "off-shore Caribbean schools" are approved by Texas. Ross might just about to change that.

This is a quote from the October 7, 2004 Texas board of Licensure meeting:

"Agenda Item 18 ? Dr. Patrick presented a report regarding Ross University. The committee chair directed the Executive Director to assemble a team to perform a verification visit at Ross University and report back at the December 2004 Licensure Committee meeting."

This is the link:

http://www.tsbme.state.tx.us/calendar/minutes/doc/2004/October04/Licensure.htm

Good Luck Ross! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Leukocyte said:
Seems like Ross University will be the first "Off-shore Caribbean school" to be officially recognized by Texas as "substantially equivalent" to Texas medical schools.

This is a quote from the October 7, 2004 Texas board of Licensure meeting:

"Agenda Item 18 ? Dr. Patrick presented a report regarding Ross University. The committee chair directed the Executive Director to assemble a team to perform a verification visit at Ross University and report back at the December 2004 Licensure Committee meeting."

This is the link:

http://www.tsbme.state.tx.us/calendar/minutes/doc/2004/October04/Licensure.htm

Good Luck Ross! :thumbup:

No offense to anyone, and I don't intend to start anything here, but I find it ironic and very funny that the Chair of the committee is a D.O.! (and yes, it was the D.O. that recommended that Ross be visited for possible recognition as a legit school).

Are there any Texas residents studying at Ross hoping to practice in Texas? I'm sure they're not the least bit amused, especially if they chose Ross over the University of North Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine trying to avoid the "bias" and "lack of prestige and opportunities" of a DO degree.

Again, I'm not trying to offend I just find the whole situation quite funny.

And yes, good luck to Ross (and the other schools trying to be recognized).

Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
Will Ross be notified by the Texas committee before they show up? If so, Ross can be prepared and put its best foot forward. I would imagine Ross will know when the officials intend to show up because they might pre-arrange a tour of the facilities, copies of the curricula, etc.

Also, I think the Texas board can save money by just visiting as many schools as they can since they're already in the Caribbean region. Hopping from island to island has to be more cost-effective than visiting a school, flying back to Texas, visiting another school a month later, etc. (unless the Texas board has no intention to visit any other school but Ross).

If Ross is the first school to be recognized as "substantially equivalent" that's going to be a great marketing tool. I believe St. George's right now ranks ahead of Ross as far as desirability for a Caribbean school. Ross might just be in first place if St. G's students can't become licensed in Texas but Ross students can.

Shinken said:
If Ross is the first school to be recognized as "substantially equivalent" that's going to be a great marketing tool. I believe St. George's right now ranks ahead of Ross as far as desirability for a Caribbean school. Ross might just be in first place if St. G's students can't become licensed in Texas but Ross students can.

Free market economy/competition at its best. Go capitalism!

An inspection team from the Texas Medical Board will be here Nov. 9. Sixteen students were volunteered/selected to meet with the team. Hoping that everything goes well. And yes, there are quite a bit of students from Texas hoping to become licensed there as well.

awdc said:
An inspection team from the Texas Medical Board will be here Nov. 9. Sixteen students were volunteered/selected to meet with the team. Hoping that everything goes well. And yes, there are quite a bit of students from Texas hoping to become licensed there as well.

These sixteen students aren't members of the Ross White Student Club, are they? :D

they're also visiting the miami portion here on thursday.

i've requested to meet with them, but I dont think I have or have been notified yet. I am one of many who are hoping to go back to Texas :|

I was curious about this thread so I asked one of my classmates (who happens to be from Texas) about this (cause I figured if you can't get licensure in Texas with a degree from sgu, then why bother if you want to practice in Texas) and he said that its not that you can't get a licence, but that you have to jump a few extra hoops - they have to follow the Cali guidelines, can't have any, ANY of their rotations form an unaffliated program(so you can't do an elective at say, Harvard, because its not affiliated with SGU), and have to have neurology and family rotations. So what's all the hoopla about?

rokshana said:
I was curious about this thread so I asked one of my classmates (who happens to be from Texas) about this (cause I figured if you can't get licensure in Texas with a degree from sgu, then why bother if you want to practice in Texas) and he said that its not that you can't get a licence, but that you have to jump a few extra hoops - they have to follow the Cali guidelines, can't have any, ANY of their rotations form an unaffliated program(so you can't do an elective at say, Harvard, because its not affiliated with SGU), and have to have neurology and family rotations. So what's all the hoopla about?

Well,.....First of all, I would not take any information from a student, or the school for that matter, for granted. They will always be biased, and often wrong. If you want information, go directly to the source, The Texas Board of Medical Examiners.

Secondly, Texas does not ban Ross, SGU, or any medical school for that matter. Texas does not maintain a list of "approved schools" like California does. Instead, Texas has a list of "schools that do not have to prove SUBSTANTIAL EQUIVALENCE". Again, this is the link to that list from the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners:

http://www.tsbme.state.tx.us/professionals/docinfo/STDNHPSE.rtf

As you can clearly see, NO Off-shore Caribbean school that caters to US students is on this list.

What does this mean? Well, it means that sure you can apply, but Texas does not think that your school is "good enough" to be "substantially equivalent" to the medical schools in Texas for the purpose of licensure. Now the "hoopla" is that you, the applicant, have to challenge what the Texas Medical Board believes is true, and prove them wrong.......well, gooooooooooood luck with that. This is like arguing with a prospective employer who does not think you are qualified and who does not want to hire you.

Well, Ross University does not want to be in this situation, so they have been meeting with the Texas Board since Texas changed their policy regarding Caribbean grads. These meetings between Ross and the Texas Medical Board are DOCUMENTED in the agenda meetings. Link:

http://www.tsbme.state.tx.us/calendar/minutes/doc/2004/04mbmin.htm

In the end, no one is guaranteed licensure, not even graduates of U.S medical schools. But, If I know that one day I want to practice in Texas, I would rather go to a school that is listed on this "substantially equivalent list" of theirs. While it does not guarantee licensure, it improves my chances of getting licensed, and makes the process easier.

Good Luck.

what is so good about the texas? why do people want to live there?

youngman said:

:laugh:

Dude, Texas RULES......Literally.

And, by the way, not all of us like to live in NYC (did you get my hint from what I put for my location under my avatar?) Dude, I have been to Dominica, and I can tell ya............. ;)

Besides, Texan chicks are the hottest! :thumbup:

Good Luck (and enjoy Dominica, and Miami, before you come to......).

Leukocyte said:
:laugh:

Dude, Texas RULES......Literally.

And, by the way, not all of us like to live in NYC (did you get my hint from what I put for my location under my avatar?) Dude, I have been to Dominica, and I can tell ya............. ;)

Besides, Texan chicks are the hottest! :thumbup:

Good Luck (and enjoy Dominica, and Miami, before you come to.......).

The women in TEXAS are the hottest around! Besides why wouldn't anyone wnat to live here. It doesn't snow the hill country is beautiful, the Guadalupe and Comal rivers are the best party in summertime. Blue-bell ice cream and Shinerbock beer two things that you can't get easily outside of Texas!

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't spanish the first language in texas now? the mexicans lost the land, but now they are repopulating the land. even a bigger land.

The Texas?????

:laugh: :laugh:
youngman said:

youngman said:
isn't spanish the first language in texas now? the mexicans lost the land, but now they are repopulating the land. even a bigger land.

Are you kidding me? This guy has got to either be the most socially inept person I have ever met, or he is a troll trying to start arguments in as many threads as possible.

Yeah I know. Read my post under the White student organization topic. This guys in my class and does seem to have some sort of personality disorder.
OzDDS said:
Are you kidding me? This guy has got to either be the most socially inept person I have ever met, or he is a troll trying to start arguments in as many threads as possible.

nabeya said:
Yeah I know. Read my post under the White student organization topic. This guys in my class and does seem to have some sort of personality disorder.

That's unfortunate, I'm sorry you have to deal with this.. thanks for clearing that up for us! :thumbup:

Leukocyte said:
As you can clearly see, NO Off-shore Caribbean school that caters to US students is on this list.

I disagree.

You'll see that there is at least one Dominican Republic school, specifically UNIBE, who "caters" to U.S. (and Canadian) students, and is on the Texas pre-approved list. The irony is that UNIBE graduates cannot get licensed in California. I've not picked through this with a fine-toothed comb, but I'm sure there are other interstate inconsistencies. So, if the California list has been heretofore the "gold standard", and is even mentioned as a reference in Texas' medical license regulations, then Texas, in the words of Ricky Ricardo, has some 'splaining to do.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
I disagree.

You'll see that there is at least one Dominican Republic school, specifically UNIBE, who "caters" to U.S. (and Canadian) students, and is on the Texas pre-approved list. The irony is that UNIBE graduates cannot get licensed in California. I've not picked through this with a fine-toothed comb, but I'm sure there are other interstate inconsistencies. So, if the California list has been heretofore the "gold standard", and is even mentioned as a reference in Texas' medical license regulations, then Texas, in the words of Ricky Ricardo, has some 'splaining to do.

-Skip

Skip,

When I said " NO Off-shore Caribbean school that caters to US students is on this list" I was referring to St. George, Ross, AUC, Saba,....et al.

I was not referring to Dom Rep. or Cuban schools which are different from your typical "hybrid schools" (MS-1/MS-2 on the island then MS-3/M4 in the US) like Ross, St. George, AUC......

It is indeed ironic that Texas used the Cali. list to construct its own list, yet it does not "approve" of St. George, Ross, AUC,..et al.

texas board meets on dec 18th.

we shall know more then hopefully as to the outcome of all this.

plus foreign med students no longer have to do a neurology rotation in order to meet the rotation requirements for licensure in texas.

additionally, there might be a change in terms of acgme requirements for texas licensure. THey are looking at possibly changing it so that only core rotations must be at acgme sites and that electives can be where ever.

Leukocyte said:
Skip,

When I said " NO Off-shore Caribbean school that caters to US students is on this list" I was referring to St. George, Ross, AUC, Saba,....et al.

I was not referring to Dom Rep. or Cuban schools which are different from your typical "hybrid schools" (MS-1/MS-2 on the island then MS-3/M4 in the US) like Ross, St. George, AUC......

It is indeed ironic that Texas used the Cali. list to construct its own list, yet it does not "approve" of St. George, Ross, AUC,..et al.

UNIBE graduates (I know one personally) also do rotations in the U.S. in addition to some cores on the island. Before the "commercial" Caribbean schools that set themselves up with the sole purpose of creating doctor factories, there were many schools in Dominican Republic and Mexico that catered to U.S. students in addition to students from their own country (as does Ross and SGU, but in much smaller numbers). What happened was many of these schools mushroomed and then were shut down after the "diploma mill" investigations back in the 1970's and 1980's. Also, there are other schools like HOPE in Poland who, in my opinion, turn out just fine doctors, but have a notoriously tough time getting good residency spots.

The real irony is that the product that Ross, SGU, and AUC is offering is much better and much more solid than these older and now defunct diploma mills, many of which were in the Dominican Republic, that were shut down or closed their doors under pressure years ago. Ross students could go to Texas for rotations and make some of their students look bad on the wards, I'm sure. Furthermore, many Ross and St. George's students get great board scores, get into awesome residencies and fellowships, and even go on to teach at U.S. medical schools. But, Texas is willing to pre-empt all of this under the guise that they are "protecting the citizens of Texas" from bad medicine. The fact is, they never did their homework. At least, that's what I hope because the only other explanation is that they are elitist snobs who didn't want the perception that they were "tainting" their hospitals with doctors who they felt weren't smart enough to be there. Or, maybe they were afraid Ross and SGU grads were better than their students and were going to take residency spots away from them. Who knows??!? There's no explanation for this unprecendented and unprovoked (and outright bizarre, considering the circumstances) act by their medical licensing board. I just can't figure this one out, it is so completely ass-backwards and illogical from a group of supposedly intelligent people.

Either way, I'll continue to say what I've always said on the matter: SCREW Texas! More power to those of you who want to live and practice there. I hope Ross (and the others) are able to get you what you want. But, I'd much rather see these Texas snobs in ten years when they are begging doctors to come to their stupid, pathetic state. They've already got enough problems in places like El Paso with physicians and malpractice and lack of services that it shows just how completely stupid they are when they are concentrating their energies on non-issues such as this one, especially when graduates from Ross and SGU can practice in every other state without having defend their medical education in front of a bunch of elitist a-holes. It's obvious why George Strait hangs his hat in Tennessee.

SCREW TEXAS!

-Skip

Don't believe me? Look at the list of foreign countries with the most practicing physicians in the U.S.

IMGs by Country

The Top 20 Countries IMGs Come From

The following list ranks the top 20 countries where the largest numbers of U.S. physicians trained. This data does not represent citizenship or ethnic origin, it only represents the location of medical schools.

1. India - 19.5% (41,235)
2. Philippines - 9.2% (19,449)
3. Mexico - 5.7% (12,168)
4. Pakistan - 4.6% (9,755)
5. Dominican Republic - 3.3% (6,988)
6. Former USSR - 2.4% (5,104)
7. Italy - 2.3% (4,871)
8. Egypt - 2.2% (4,731)
9. South Korea - 2.2% (4,629)
10. China and Hong Kong - 2.1% (4,537)
11. Spain - 2.1% (4,514)
12. Germany - 2.1% (4,302)
13. Grenada - 1.9% (4,183)
14. Iran - 1.9% (4,104)
15. Syria - 1.5% (3,235)
16. United Kingdom - 1.4% (3,112)
17. Cuba - 1.4% (2,999)
18. Taiwan - 1.3% (2,833)
19. Israel - 1.3% (2,735)
20. Lebanon 1.3% (2,719)

TOTAL IMG Population in U.S. - 23.5% (210,952)

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/1550.html

Also, Texas ranks 6th and 11th respectively on the total number and percentage of IMG physicians per state, bunch of damn xenophobic hypocrites.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/10274.html

Furthermore, notice that Dominica and St.Maarten/Monserrat are not represented on this list, which is more strange especially when Ross openly brags on their website that they have "4,000 doctors" in the U.S (I guess this list only counts attendings, and I guess that Ross must have at least 1,300 graduates currently still in residencies).

So, when you make blanket statement about schools that cater to U.S. students, don't overlook the ones bolded above - especially the first two.

-Skip

blueoval said:
The women in TEXAS are the hottest around! Besides why wouldn't anyone wnat to live here. It doesn't snow the hill country is beautiful, the Guadalupe and Comal rivers are the best party in summertime. Blue-bell ice cream and Shinerbock beer two things that you can't get easily outside of Texas!

word, I second that...God Bless H-Town, especially. :cool:

nabeya said:

first of all, it should be "this guy's..."
second, I don't know who you are, and what made you think that you know who I am? every class at Ross has at least 250 students, there should be at least 100 male students. you think that you can tell who I am among the crowd? that indicates you have no logic.
third, slandering against someone who is from the same school, who you have never talked in person really shows your own personality disorder. histrionic, in plain language, plain drama. :thumbdown:

youngman said:
first of all, it should be "this guy's..."
second, I don't know who you are, and what made you think that you know who I am? that indicates you have no logic.
third, slandering against someone who is from the same school, who you have never talked in person really shows your own personality disorder. histronic, in plain language, plain drama. :thumbdown:

It should be "histrionic" not histronic. Probably also in plural form, "histrionics." Just FYI.

As many of you are aware, representatives from the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners (TSBME) visited Ross University's Basic Science Campus in Portsmouth, Dominica and Clinical Rotation site in Miami, Florida. This visit was conducted to verify academic information that Ross University submitted to the Board (TSMBE) earlier this year.

Subsequently, at its most recent meeting last week, the Board (TSBME) did grant license to one of our graduates. Ross University has been found to be substantially equivalent to a Texas Medical School. The State of Texas is now accepting RUSM graduate applications, something they have NOT been doing from any of the medical schools in the Caribbean. Currently, Ross University is the only Caribbean Medical School whose graduates do not have to prove substantial equivalence of their education.

We are so happy that graduates who choose the great State of Texas to practice their profession will be able to do so.

Nancy A. Perri
RUSM - VP Academic Affairs
Dean of Clinical Science

RUSM '82

YES!

New Jersey said:
As many of you are aware, representatives from the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners (TSBME) visited Ross University's Basic Science Campus in Portsmouth, Dominica and Clinical Rotation site in Miami, Florida. This visit was conducted to verify academic information that Ross University submitted to the Board (TSMBE) earlier this year.

Subsequently, at its most recent meeting last week, the Board (TSBME) did grant license to one of our graduates. Ross University has been found to be substantially equivalent to a Texas Medical School. The State of Texas is now accepting RUSM graduate applications, something they have NOT been doing from any of the medical schools in the Caribbean. Currently, Ross University is the only Caribbean Medical School whose graduates do not have to prove substantial equivalence of their education.

We are so happy that graduates who choose the great State of Texas to practice their profession will be able to do so.

Nancy A. Perri
RUSM - VP Academic Affairs
Dean of Clinical Science

RUSM '82