Gift Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Close to the end rotating with a private FM doctor. Other prior MS have given doctor pens (a couple monogrammed) with a card.

Initially was thinking of just providing some bagels or fancy donuts/pastry for breakfast for doctor and their staff, but unsure now after learning about the pens (one monogrammed pen looked pricey-cost split amongst 4 MS).

Any other sensible and practical give ideas? I want to include the office staff also not just the doctor. Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

The bagels and donuts for the entire staff is a really kind idea. A monogrammed pen for the doctor is honestly a little over the top. Especially nowadays, where nearly everything is on the computer.

A monogrammed pen is really weird, the longer I think about it. That’s the kind of gift you give to someone at their retirement or graduation party, not after a six week rotation. Don’t give something like that.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like food is always appreciated, doesn’t clutter up the desk/office, and includes everyone. You can add a thank you card just for the doctor. If you want to give something the office can keep, what about a small low maintenance potted plant?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Food is always well received and doesn’t add clutter. The pens seem strange to me. We have never had students do that. One painted an art piece for the people they stayed with which was cool.

Reactions: 3 users
Food is always well received and doesn’t add clutter. The pens seem strange to me. We have never had students do that. One painted an art piece for the people they stayed with which was cool.
I once shadowed a doctor who was just getting his private practice off the ground and instead of buying expensive art pieces he bought blank canvases and stacked them in the waiting room. His patients took them home and returned them when they were done. It was the coolest thing.

Almost any material thing you give him will probably be graciously received as a trinket, occupy a desk drawer, and be forgotten and expunged at a later date. How you get along with the office staff will make a far longer lasting impression. Especially if you need a letter from him in the future. 3rds on donuts/bagels, depending on geographic preference of course.

The fancy donuts and bake goods for breakfast were a hit with the office. Going for a second stab at the remaining donuts during lunch, the doctor teased me by saying their favorite was all gone (chocolate) and they had to settle for their second fav (coconut). 8 of the 12 donuts were chocolate of some sort btw.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Close to the end rotating with a private FM doctor. Other prior MS have given doctor pens (a couple monogrammed) with a card.

Initially was thinking of just providing some bagels or fancy donuts/pastry for breakfast for doctor and their staff, but unsure now after learning about the pens (one monogrammed pen looked pricey-cost split amongst 4 MS).

Any other sensible and practical give ideas? I want to include the office staff also not just the doctor. Thx!
I would prefer a sincere 'appreciated the time and learned a lot' and that's about it. Many doctors already get compensated for taking students. You don't need to dip any more into your wallet than the school is charging you. If you are not having a good time I will know.

Reactions: 1 user
I followed up with a sincere email thanking them for giving me the oppty to learn from them. This particular FM physician is not compensated for allowing MS, college, high school students to rotate/shadow at their clinic. They are doing it altruistically, a way of giving back. Hence, I think previous students have given parting gifts. I included the staff with the donuts since I know that they are often left out when the doctor is thanked.

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, as a physician I really don't like receiving gifts, it's awkward and generally things I don't need or want. I make enough to buy whatever I like. Nursing staff will always take food. CRUMBL gourmet cookies are always a hit. Gift baskets for the staff are always welcome too.

Reactions: 1 users