Christmas Gifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BJJVP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys buy the office staff any Christmas gifts? I am an ER doctor but I just started working part time in an outpt clinic so this is fairly new to me. Is it routine or standard for doctors to do this? If yes, what items have been well received in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't standard by any means, but it does happen commonly. It's really dependent on the office and company culture. I'd say try to figure out if the other doctors there have historically gotten gifts for staff. If they have, and you feel comfortable continuing the tradition, go for it. If it doesn't already occur regularly at your clinic, my advice would be to not do it. You'd be setting a precedent, could potentially make staff feel like they need to reciprocate, and could make other doctors feel like they need to start doing gifts as well. If you want to show your appreciation for staff or wish them a merry Christmas, a personal note or card is really meaningful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have a Christmas gift exchange and lunch/party at the office (usually either "dirty Santa" or a name drawing - it's a name drawing this year), and an annual Christmas party (typically at my house). My wife and I always buy each of the staff a small gift, as well. We have ten staff members (and three doctors).