GI fellowship --- what are the most important selection factors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbtbay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious, I am going into Internal Medicine, and if I'm correct fellowship applications are done in the beginning of your second year. So what goes into the GI fellowship application? What are the selection factors? Step III? Research? What is most important?

Everyone talks about how competitive getting GI fellowship, I was just wondering what they use for selecting fellows?

Members don't see this ad.

letters of recommendations, preferably from folks that are well known
research---publications, abstracts, presentations
being a US graduate
school of matriculation from residency/medical school
being a chief resident
being a female/minority helps
step 1/2/3 scores are important but not as much as residency. My scores were very average and I got into my top choice
good personal statement, knowing WHY gi and a plan of what you intend to do with this. You could go with Hepatology, or IBD, avdances endoscopy...

Good luck!

I'm an OMSII who's very interested in GI, but I haven't done any research (and won't be able to at this point). Is it still possible to get a fellowship, and if so, is there anything that I could do (in addition to the things Krokus9 mentioned) to make up for the lack of research experience?
Also, how competitive is GI for osteopathic students? Would it raise my stock for MD fellowship programs if I did a straight allopathic IM residency, or should I try for one of those Dual Accreditation allo/osteo IM programs to maximize my fellowship choices?
Is there any difference in the selection criteria for allopathic GI fellowships vs. osteopathic? Are allopathic programs more concerned about research experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know that as well as an OMSII.

being a US graduate
being a chief resident
step 1/2/3 scores are important but not as much as residency. My scores were very average and I got into my top choice
good personal statement, knowing WHY gi and a plan of what you intend to do with this. You could go with Hepatology, or IBD, avdances endoscopy...

Good luck!
I'm assuming this is in order of importance? Maybe you can state how important they are. Thanks for the help. I've been wondering this for a while.

I'd like to know that as well as an OMSII.

Last numbers available were that 14/284 matched applicants were osteopaths. The number of osteopaths that applied is not available so its tough to know but one has to assume that this reflects that it is not easy for an osteopath to get into an allopathic GI program.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of my chances of getting into GI. I am a fourth year medical student. My step I and II scores were in the 220s. No matter how hard I studied....Either way, I am doing some quality assurance research for the GI department at my school but I doubt it will be anything to publish by the time I get into residency. Any ideas? I will probably be able to get some research done during residency but will my step I and II scores hold me back?

When does the interview season start. Mid Dec or Jan?

being a US graduate
being a chief resident

Good luck!

I would like to add, especially for IMGs, visa status, green card.US citizen preffered to H1/J1 applicants.

Good luck!

Two of my friends got GI fellowships with mediocre scores..I guess contacts help.

220 board scores won't keep you out if you kiss up enough and do research.

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for all of the responses. I am finalizing my rank list for IM residency right now, and I am a bit unsure regarding a few topics related to obtaining a GI fellowship in my preferred location CA. I was hoping some of you who are going through, or already have, gone through the GI application process, could share some of their thoughts.

I am originally a CA resident who went to NY for medical school. My ultimate goal is to obtain a GI fellowship in CA. I am once again very grateful for my choices, and am finalizing my rank list right now. I have a few questions:

1) Given my situation, would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by going to a IM residency program in Chicago (like Northwestern, UChicago) over a CA program (like Stanford, UCLA) --- in terms of getting GI fellowship in CA?

2) In terms of IM residency programs, and having the best chance of getting said GI fellowship in CA, which would be best? ---- Stanford, UChicago, UCLA, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Cornell, BIDMC, UW

I understand that there are many things to consider when choosing a IM residency program, but if I were only looking at which program would give me the best shot of GI fellowship in CA --- thats what I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for all of the responses. I am finalizing my rank list for IM residency right now, and I am a bit unsure regarding a few topics related to obtaining a GI fellowship in my preferred location CA. I was hoping some of you who are going through, or already have, gone through the GI application process, could share some of their thoughts.

I am originally a CA resident who went to NY for medical school. My ultimate goal is to obtain a GI fellowship in CA. I am once again very grateful for my choices, and am finalizing my rank list right now. I have a few questions:

1) Given my situation, would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by going to a IM residency program in Chicago (like Northwestern, UChicago) over a CA program (like Stanford, UCLA) --- in terms of getting GI fellowship in CA?

2) In terms of IM residency programs, and having the best chance of getting said GI fellowship in CA, which would be best? ---- Stanford, UChicago, UCLA, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Cornell, BIDMC, UW

I understand that there are many things to consider when choosing a IM residency program, but if I were only looking at which program would give me the best shot of GI fellowship in CA --- thats what I was hoping to get some feedback on.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

From your list, UCLA and Stanford will offer you the best chances of landing a GI fellowship in California. Otherwise, all of your other choices look good and are fairly equal from one another. UChicago and Mt Sinai may have very slight edges from the others due to their prominent GI programs.

Does the research have to be directly related to GI (either basic or clinic research)?
I have a PhD and lots of Research experience, but not in GI field. Will this kind of research help for GI fellow application? Thanks.

Does the research have to be directly related to GI (either basic or clinic research)?
I have a PhD and lots of Research experience, but not in GI field. Will this kind of research help for GI fellow application? Thanks.

USAtravel: Programs just want to see research experience. If you have a PhD and are interested in staying academic, programs will fight over you. In my experience, the 3 letters are much more important than field-specific research experience, although it might help get you good GI letters. Be sure to discuss your research prominently in your application and you should be in great shape.

Will away-rotations in GI during M3 and M4 be a factor in GI applying?

Hey guys,

I just took my step 1 and didn't make it- by one point! I generally did really well through my first 2 years of med school and had passed the practice NMBE in school. I don't know what went wrong, but nonetheless I'm giving it another go and hope to do excellent.

The thing is, I think I might really really be falling for GI. However with this horrendous step 1 scar on my record, my question is, do I even have a shot? I have some general extracurriculars: 2 research experiences (unrelated to GI and no publications), health literacy work, and leadership roles in club activities from my freshman sophomore years.
I hope to take 6 months or so off to enter the GI research areas, although well aware this limited time would highly likely not yeild a publication either...
What do I do? Should I not bother and work on a field (ie neuro) that would be easier? I'm willing to work, but if the odds are so unfavorable, I don't think I'll have enough stamina to do what it takes.

So any advice or stories of others having got a desired residency (even if not GI)?

Thank-you so much.

Failing Step I is bad. You don't need us to tell you that. Is it possible that you will overcome this and be selected for fellowship? Who knows.

The bigger issue is that you will undoubtedly be able to find an IM residency. At that point, you are committed down the IM path. If you would only do IM knowing that you are assured GI, this is a high-risk plan. If there are other specialties that you like where you can apply directly out of residency, that might be a safer choice. Alternatively, if the the prospect of being a general internist doesn't bother you, then you can take your shot.

Failing Step I is bad. You don't need us to tell you that. Is it possible that you will overcome this and be selected for fellowship? Who knows.

The bigger issue is that you will undoubtedly be able to find an IM residency. At that point, you are committed down the IM path. If you would only do IM knowing that you are assured GI, this is a high-risk plan. If there are other specialties that you like where you can apply directly out of residency, that might be a safer choice. Alternatively, if the the prospect of being a general internist doesn't bother you, then you can take your shot.

Thanks Gastropathy! I'm really hoping to be able to rock the step the second time around. Do you know what the average step 1 score is? I really don't want to be a general internist. As you had inferred, my only motivation for IM would be in order to get to GI. The only other interest I have at the moment is neuro (possibly followed by pain managment fellowship), albeit my interest in the field is much less than GI. Knowing that a GI residency positition would be a much bigger struggle to get, should I work towards neuro instead? I'm forced to take a year off because of my step 1 performance: 4 mths to restudy; and then after the retake I'll have about 6 months to do research before I start rotations- time to build momentum for one or the other (GI or neuro). If you advise to still pursue GI, what should I be doing to insure I get into a great IM residency? Many people mentioned that as being really important.

Thank-you so much for your advice!

Needing Hope - I say if your interested in GI you should stick with it because it helps to do something you enjoy. I don't think it's the end of the world for you. Try to find out why you failed and work on your weaknesses. Speak to your dean and counselor or take a review course if you have to. I think the most important factors for getting into a GI fellowship is your work as a resident, research during residency, and contacts. Although research in med school carries some weight, your work and reputation as a resident are far more important. You don't have to go the top IM residency programs to get a great training. Find a program that has good teaching, faculty,etc but that's down the line. Also, it's important to keep an open mind because you might find a new interest in another subspecialty or in general medicine. But for now, focus on test taking skills and hang in there! I'm rooting for you

I would really concentrate on your getting through your test, it is still very early in your career and have time to think about it.

Get through your clinical rotations and see what you like, you may really like a different field. But in the end, if GI is what you really like, then be sure to carefully consider your options.

It is very prudent to think about what Gastrapathy is saying, because that is a real possibility for lots of people, not just you. And don't rule out other great IM subspecialties like Pulmonary/Sleep/CC medicine, Nephrology, that are less competitive but great medicine subspecialties.

I was curious, I am going into Internal Medicine, and if I'm correct fellowship applications are done in the beginning of your second year. So what goes into the GI fellowship application? What are the selection factors? Step III? Research? What is most important?

Everyone talks about how competitive getting GI fellowship, I was just wondering what they use for selecting fellows?

I am presently a hospitalist. Didn't match into GI last year. I want to apply again this year. Unfortunately I have little to no research experience. Will my job experience as a hospitalist for a year compensate for my lack of research and increase my chances of matching this year, or should I step out for a year first and get some good research experience under my belt before I reapply for a GI fellowship? All advice most appreciated.

I am presently a hospitalist. Didn't match into GI last year. I want to apply again this year. Unfortunately I have little to no research experience. Will my job experience as a hospitalist for a year compensate for my lack of research and increase my chances of matching this year, or should I step out for a year first and get some good research experience under my belt before I reapply for a GI fellowship? All advice most appreciated.

I start my fellowship in July 2011 and am in no way an expert on selection, but I would GUESS that you will do better off my getting some research experience. From what I've heard, the further out you are from having completed residency, the weaker your application UNLESS you've done significant research in the interim.

I am resident in community program.
have done research with 7 to 8 publication.
Have above 90s, but had an attempt in step 3 with retake above 90s.
Do you think I can get into GI or I just forget it. I am worried of attempt in step 3.

I am a PGY2 in medicine at a university program on H1. Have good USMLE scores 99/99/82 but failed my CS once. Have a few abstracts and small case reports but nothing big and practically no research in GI. Plan to go for hospitalist to get green card and get some research in GI in the meantime.
What are the chances and how can I improve them?