GI fellowship third year position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gut_gal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a 2nd year GI fellow in NY. For personal reasons I need to move to west coast to finish my third year. Anyone willing to swap or know of open third year positions in west coast or closer? Please let me know ASAP. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
this isn't a trading card game

If you are serious about this, you would have talked to your PD, and been emailing and cold calling programs in the region you need to be in. West cost, Arizona and mid west is quite the wide geographic range.

More realistically you will stay and graduate in your home program, but maybe you could arrange to do a few away months if your programs call system can accommodate it.

Hoping to find a random rising third year, who just happens to read this dead forum, who just happens to want to move to NY, and that both PDs agree to take you? Not happening. Even if you find this unicorn, not sure why your PDs would want to take on/graduate a fellow they did not really train.

Fellowship/residency "swap" is largely a myth.

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone heard of people switching GI fellowship programs? i'm a PGY 4 doing fellowship in a university program in north east and because of my spouse job's transfer, I am looking to go to another city...but doesn't look like spots really open up. Anyone with any experience with this?

Thanks

I know someone who did all her required clinical time and call and then did research in another city to follow her spouse. Her program was very cool about it. I assume your spouse is transferring to a specific place. Really all u can do is ask the local PDs. Just don't be shocked if it gets back to your program.

I love how people ask the internet on crazy specific one-off situations.

Not only would a spot have to "open up", but someone would need to take your spot.

Your best bet is to power through your first year of fellowship, which is typically the most brutal, and then try to arrange a few away months depending on what is offered at your program. IBD away months at IBD centers of excellence or a motility away month are possible. A research away is also possible as Gastropathy said.

How will one go about finding research at another state and convincing your PD to accept it?

How will one go about finding research at another state and convincing your PD to accept it?

IBD/Motility aways, as I mentioned, will the the easiest with no expectations to produce something at the end.

Thank you for your replies.
Please correct me if I m wrong - This IBD/motility elective or research will be for one or two month only, right?

Last edited: