GI Fellowship application for 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milktuth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,Future applicants,for those of you who have applied in the past, GI doesn't open until December, but what was your time frame for getting your letters of recommendation, and files uploaded to ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Documents

Last edited:
I applied several years back.

Started uploading in late October, gave several weeks for the LORs (it takes that long for them to be posted by ERAS).

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i have a few general questions regarding applications..

what is number of programs people typically apply too (my PD told me 30, but from talking to others that seemed kinda low)?

does having step 3 done before make a difference?

good luck everyone, and in reply to the other post, I have started uploading things, was told give ERAS a few weeks cushion to get things uploaded.

The number applied is variable, and depends on the rest of your profile. One major factor is the (perceived) strength of where you are for IM residency.

From my home program, applicants applied anywhere from 10-30 programs. A few fellow interviewees I met from Hopkins applied to <5 programs and did just fine. On the other hand, it is not unheard of to apply to >40 programs either. If you come from community programs, then some may even recommend applying to as many as you can financially afford.

Having Step 3 or not does not matter.

hi,future applicants,for those of you who have applied in the past, gi doesn't open until december, but what was your time frame for getting your letters of recommendation, and files uploaded to eras?
hello ,i am new to this forum ,i am applying for gi this yr,planning
to apply on nov 30th.any idea when the programs will download
my application
thanks in advance

Everyone in and complete. Hopefully those programs are licking their chops. I know some folks in other specialities who already have interviews (shocking really). When can we realistically expect to start hearing the first wave of calls? Good luck all!

Everyone in and complete. Hopefully those programs are licking their chops. I know some folks in other specialities who already have interviews (shocking really). When can we realistically expect to start hearing the first wave of calls? Good luck all!

Invites may trickle in this month, but expect them in full force starting in January.

I am new to this forum. I am checking ERAS like I was when I applied for residency. I don't know what is the everage number of program to apply to, as an IMG. I saw the rate of matching last year was pretty low!

hey all...well..here we go with the fellowship applications and all the fun that comes with it...

Anyways, just had a quick question for anyone re: LORs. In reading other posts, it is clear that the calibre of who is writing the LORs are important. Having big names write letters is obviously important...

BUT...have a little dilemma here...would you rather have an average LOR from a big whig or a strong LOR from no name person?? :confused::confused:

Your input is appreciated!

hey all...well..here we go with the fellowship applications and all the fun that comes with it...

Anyways, just had a quick question for anyone re: LORs. In reading other posts, it is clear that the calibre of who is writing the LORs are important. Having big names write letters is obviously important...

BUT...have a little dilemma here...would you rather have an average LOR from a big whig or a strong LOR from no name person?? :confused::confused:

Your input is appreciated!

When choosing letters, keep in mind the GI world is small, and it seemed to me when I interviewed that most everyone knew eachother (at least with the more academic programs). So, I always assumed any letter writer that is "well known" is likely a phone call or email away. Aside, remember this, because you don't want to get caught embellishing things during the interview; be positive/confident, but don't lie (duh).

With that said, names do carry weight. So, an ideal letter would be a strong letter from a well known GI. But, if you are worried that your "big whig" may have submitted a suspect letter (ultimately unless you read it, you'll never know), you may want to supplement this with other stronger letters from these "no name" people. You do have (usually) 4 letters that you can submit, so if you're lucky enough to have options, I would say it's probably worth submitting the "big whig" average letter PLUS your strongest "no name letter" to compliment. But go with your instinct.

Also, you probably are already doing this, but make sure to talk to the GI people at your program (especially current fellows, your medicine program director, and even the GI program director if you know them) about your options for advice as well. They'll probably know more about this, even perhaps inside info about your letter writers (such as the "big whig" always writes great letters regardless, etc...)

Good luck!

Dear Nexus and other members,
I am finalizing my ERAS application. I submitted few abstracts to DDW - 2011. Whre do I put them in the application? Under a)"Manuscripts/abstracts other than published" or b) under research experience.
I don't know if the submitted stuff makes a big impact, but the results for abstracts wil be out ony in February.
Apprecaite any thoughts.
Thanks.