GI application to multiple tracks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevenblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anybody applied to multiple GI felloship tracks in same program.. ie clinical scholar track, clinical investigator track, research track ?? is that alright or does that make the pd think we are not sure abt career plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Well i did apply to multiple tracts. Some of the people on this website previously also did that. I think it is ok to do it! Hopefully!!

yeah i have heard it is okay to apply to multiple tracks..however i think one must be sure they are okay with either option..for example the research tracks are usually different (more than 3 years, different rotations, different expectations, etc.)..if you get an invite from a program that offers research track, i think you should go into the interview expecting to be an academic scientist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is extremely program dependent. Some programs are fine with you applying to multiple tracks, but then only extend an interview invitation for a specific track (ie. you cannot interview for other tracks by that point). Others invite you for interview, then only ask you to identify a track after you have matched. Then there are those that ask you to pick a track up front at the time of application.