GI 2011 - LOR from PD - Is this absolutely necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HRM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr.Don,Skiplesion and other members,
Do I need to absolutely have a LOR from PD of residency program? I have graduated from a community program couple of years back, and been doing some research at big center. I am planning to send all LOR's from my research place. Will programs reject my application if I do not have a LOR from Residency program PD?? I really appreacite any response.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I need to absolutely have a LOR from PD of residency program? I have graduated from a community program couple of years back, and been doing some research at big center. I am planning to send all LOR's from my research place. Will programs reject my application if I do not have a LOR from Residency program PD?? I really appreacite any response.

Many people here have not been in your position, so we cannot say for sure if it is ABSOLUTELY, 100% necessary that you need a PD LOR. However, I do recall that when you check programs' websites many (all?) of them state exactly that, 3-4 LOR including PD's or Chairman's. My PD last year also remarked that she writes LOR for applicants years out of residency, and how these are difficult letters to write but still needed to be done. I think the general rule of thumb is, if it is stated on the program website, you follow it to the letter.

The thing is, for such a competitive subspecialty, any misstep counts. Most programs have way more applicants than they know what to do with. There is no reason not to adhere to everything a fellowship program asks for.

Hey HRM, I agree with Nexus 5, you don't want to give the programs any reason to reject you. I have researched every GI program in the nation and I'm applying to 74 programs to be exact and every single one of them either asked for a PD or Chairman letter along with 2-4 additional letters.

If you don't mind me asking, did you apply during residency and did not get accepted or is this your first time applying? Reason being is that I also come from a community based program (with a University affiliation) and I heard it's really difficult for us to land a GI spot. I do have clinical research though with multiple abstracts and poster presentations at DDW and ACG and my case report was recently accepted by the Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology journal....so hoping that will strengthen my application. Good luck to you, it's going to be a long process.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Don, this is the first time I am applying. I did not apply during residency, as I had no chance for any research. Right now, I have few posters in DDW and ACG, but no publications yet, they are still in submission status. But reading the forums and fellow profiles at program websites is making me depressed, as it seems programs only take people from univ. programs with extensive research. Anyways, only thing I can do is keep trying.

Dr. Don, this is the first time I am applying. I did not apply during residency, as I had no chance for any research. Right now, I have few posters in DDW and ACG, but no publications yet, they are still in submission status. But reading the forums and fellow profiles at program websites is making me depressed, as it seems programs only take people from univ. programs with extensive research. Anyways, only thing I can do is keep trying.

Hey, don't get discouraged but I would SURELY send a letter from your PD. The fact that they explicitly ask for it means they want it. You can use your other LOR slots for your more recent mentors