Getting worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frankthetank

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions:
1)I am at a top 10 school, but there are about 10 of us applying to derm this year. Does this effect my chances?
2)How many transitional programs does one apply to in this derm scenario?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but there are like 10 applying @ my school too.

Frankthetank said:
I have two questions:
1)I am at a top 10 school, but there are about 10 of us applying to derm this year. Does this effect my chances?
2)How many transitional programs does one apply to in this derm scenario?
Thanks

1) doesn't change anything other than the fact that you should have a good grasp of how competitive you are as an applicant and what kind of shot you have at staying at your home program. sometimes it nice to know which ass kissers are going to land spots at your home school so that you and your faculty mentor can start concentrating/politicking elsewhere. by the way, get a better faculty mentor than all the other applicants .... that's key.

2) depends on your backup plan, ie. what you are planning to do if you don't match derm. assuming you are an average self-selected derm applicant, you shouldn't have to interview at more than 3 tranny programs to land a intern spot if you match derm. tranny programs should only be associated with a derm match - it's otherwise useless. for the case of not matching derm, it would benefit you to interview at a smattering of prelim med academic programs. that way you have two options: 1) do the prelim year, switch to categorical, and finish a medicine residency (the thought makes me cringe) with hopes of landing a competitive fellowship. 2) apply during the prelim med year, perhaps while working with reputable derm faculty. for re-application: academic med prelim at columbia/ucsf/yale/etc. >>>> community hospital tranny year.

peace.