Getting into Dermatology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzanna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Since I do not know anyone personally who matched into dermatology I though I would look for some answers here.
I am a MS II DO student (this is not new school). My grades are so so, but there is still room for improvement in order to do well in the 3rd year! Soon I will be taking COMLEX/USMLE 1.
Here is what I would like to know from those of you who successfully matched recently or know anything on this subject:
-how to get a dermatology residency?
Can someone please write to me what are the requirements or anything needed to look competitive and to have a shot at getting ACGME residency? Can it be done in the 3rd and 4th year?? Is there enough time to still make it?
might seem silly to some but I really do not know much on this subject I would appreciate help from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

(for the record, I am also interested in ophthalmology, that's why I will be posting into ophthalmology forum as well)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

Since I do not know anyone personally who matched into dermatology I though I would look for some answers here.
I am a MS II DO student (this is not new school). My grades are so so, but there is still room for improvement in order to do well in the 3rd year! Soon I will be taking COMLEX/USMLE 1.
Here is what I would like to know from those of you who successfully matched recently or know anything on this subject:
-how to get a dermatology residency?
Can someone please write to me what are the requirements or anything needed to look competitive and to have a shot at getting ACGME residency? Can it be done in the 3rd and 4th year?? Is there enough time to still make it?
might seem silly to some but I really do not know much on this subject I would appreciate help from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

(for the record, I am also interested in ophthalmology, that's why I will be posting into ophthalmology forum as well)

DermMatch's Guide to Applying to Dermatology

@asmallchild Thank you for the reply. However, this is from 2009...do all the rules still apply? Moreover, do you think being a DO limits/decreases my chances for ACGME residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
@asmallchild Thank you for the reply. However, this is from 2009...do all the rules still apply? Moreover, do you think being a DO limits/decreases my chances for ACGME residency?

I don't think anything in that post is outdated, everything posted there is still applicable. Regarding being at a disadvantage because you are a DO, you would have to ask people at your school since my understanding is that MD / DO residency programs are merging under the umbrella of the ACGME.

Back when they were separate, yes, DOs are typically at a disadvantage when applying for an ACGME residency in dermatology.

Coming from someone who matched recently, the link asmallchild posted is still very relevant. I would read all of it as I found it very helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Sleeping with the department chair can't hurt, either.

Or you can have step score in the 99th percentile, all honors in your rotations, finish at the top of your class and still not match. Brutal and unfair, but it happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Or you can have step score in the 99th percentile, all honors in your rotations, finish at the top of your class and still not match. Brutal and unfair, but it happens.

Yeah, no. I refuse to believe that this happens. If you truly had all those stats plus some research, applied broadly, and were not a total weirdo at you're interviews, I don't think you would go unmatched. The match rate is one of the lowest, but it's still 70+ %. You'll get in somewhere if you check all these boxes.

Maybe you're not likeable?

Reactions: 1 user
Dermmom, have you carefully considered and cultivated your likability? Do you receive an adequate number of daily likes? Never forget, in order to have others like you, you must first like yourself. Like, seriously.

Yeah, no. I refuse to believe that this happens. If you truly had all those stats plus some research, applied broadly, and were not a total weirdo at you're interviews, I don't think you would go unmatched. The match rate is one of the lowest, but it's still 70+ %. You'll get in somewhere if you check all these boxes.

Therein lies the rub.

Likeability is not the issue. But thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Likeability is not the issue. But thanks for the suggestion. ;)

What was the issue, praytell?

A little insight and self reflection is key if you're looking to pick yourself up and dust yourself off.

I've heard plenty about step 1 being used for cut offs for interviews. Are %clinical honors or number of publications (or other) ever used for cutoffs alone or in conjunction with step 1 to determine interviews?

I've heard plenty about step 1 being used for cut offs for interviews. Are %clinical honors or number of publications (or other) ever used for cutoffs alone or in conjunction with step 1 to determine interviews?

I'm not aware of any specific program that does this but it wouldn't surprise me either if more competitive programs have something like that in place. % of clinical honors can be a more subjective marker than Step 1 score as that can vary from school to school.

Given the importance of research, I'm trying to add a few case reports.
Which journals are good to submit to for cases?
Does the official journal JAAD accept cases or do you have to submit to the separate JAAD Case report?

Given the importance of research, I'm trying to add a few case reports.
Which journals are good to submit to for cases?
Does the official journal JAAD accept cases or do you have to submit to the separate JAAD Case report?

JAAD, JAMA Dermatology, JID are among the higher impact factor journals in dermatology.