Turning down derm aways-worried I won't get an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I've made my schedule already but recently got another away. I actually prefer this one, but the one I would exchange it will I've had accepted for over a month now ( but doesn't start till september). On the other hand, I don't want to piss off this new place and not get an interview. Does anyone know what happens if you turn down away rotations? have people not gotten interviews? I am really worried now because I like both programs and don't know how to handle this. I just withdrew the rest of my apps on VSAS and I feel like an idiot for not doing so previously. does even withdrawing apps on VSAS make you look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, I've made my schedule already but recently got another away. I actually prefer this one, but the one I would exchange it will I've had accepted for over a month now ( but doesn't start till september). On the other hand, I don't want to piss off this new place and not get an interview. Does anyone know what happens if you turn down away rotations? have people not gotten interviews? I am really worried now because I like both programs and don't know how to handle this. I just withdrew the rest of my apps on VSAS and I feel like an idiot for not doing so previously. does even withdrawing apps on VSAS make you look bad?

Turning down derm aways is not a problem as long as you do it via the appropriate channels and provide sufficient notice. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I will add that a lot of times the program coordinator is really the only person who wouldn't know this far in advance who you are and that you're signed up to rotate. As long as you cancel in the proper fashion and do so respectfully and courteously, I can't see it being a problem in most situations.

Reactions: 1 user