What email to use for research paper from old lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DefNotaGOAT

Reaction score
Hi all, M1 here. My former research lab from before med school is submitting our papers to journals and I wanted to ask which email is more suitable to use in the submission. My undergrad email (which I can keep forever due to alumni privileges) or my current med school email? Since I left the lab, the institution that the lab is in took away my institutional email address. Of course, any future research I publish in med school would use my current school email, but I'm not sure about this situation. I've never published a paper before and would like advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would just use your current email. I can’t really think of a situation where it would matter what email you use here.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an author on a few papers from before med school. Never really been contacted.

I'd advise using a professional gmail account you know you won't lose, just in-case. This means don't use your school email.

Reactions: 1 users
I changed institutions for med school, residency, and fellowship. All my papers are published (from residency and fellowship) with my med school email because it's permanent--I don't have access to my residency email anymore, and would lose my fellowship/faculty email if I changed institutions.

You can always make a professional gmail account and use that email for everything.

Reactions: 1 user