getting a plastics residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearpaw

celebrated member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. do you have any advice for someone who wants to do plastic surgery? I'm going to be an M1 next year and I want to make sure i do whatever is right to get into an integrated plastics residency. However, if that doesn't work out, i'd be glad to do the whole general surgery followed by plastics thing.

Do you guys have any idea what it takes? Is this as hard to get as other surgical residencies or what? Do i need to kill my boards and get amazing grades?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Integrated plastics residencies are pretty tough to get. I just matched this year and couldn't believe how many highly qualified applicants there were. Best advice is to honor as much as you can, kill the boards, work on getting great letters from well-known plastic surgeons and do as much plastics research as you can fit in. Also make sure to practice your interview skills before going out on the trail, it seems as though a lot was decided in the interviews. I doubt you can even get your foot in the door with a step one score of less than 230, but that's just my opinion based on the people I spoke with this year. Good luck!!

I'm an MS3 that decided recently to do the plastic surgery thing. I am kicking myself because I haven't done any research in med school. Other than that my grades and boards are competitive and I am planning on doing an away rotation. Am I screwed or is there hope for me?