Getting a pet dog in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a pet in my life since my parents weren't for it. I'm interested in getting a pet during residency, but I am applying to internal medicine which is work intensive.

What kind of dog breeds require less maintenance? Are there any dogs that can be potty trained or do not need daily walks in case I am on call? Also, I know that puppies are hard work, is there a right age where you can get a dog that has already been trained well but still can bond well with its new owner? Why do people not want to get shelter dogs?

Additionally, if owning a dog during residency will be too work intensive, would getting something less intensive like a hamster be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dogs are great. They're also time-intensive and have both social and physical needs. Get one after your residency.

During residency, get a cat. Lower maintenance, and you get a purring lap-warmer that doesn't mind being left alone all day and won't poop on your carpet when you're on call.

(My wife and I have two cats, one dog, and four kids. We're hopelessly outnumbered.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Residency is not the time to be figuring out first time dog ownership. You have a lot of homework to do based on your questions.

Start watching Caesar Milan the Dog Whisperer (the vets might say he is the devil) but one thing he has right and will teach you, is how much a dog needs daily exercise, companionship, leadership, and food. All of which are really hard for a resident to provide for themselves, let alone another living being outside the hospital. The dog might die. The show is a good start to learning about dogs IMHO.

Reactions: 3 users
It depends on your residency schedule, experience, and the dog.

We just got our second border collie.

It is doable for us. If I was single or lived alone, I wouldn't be able to pull off even one.

I've never owned a pet in my life since my parents weren't for it. I'm interested in getting a pet during residency, but I am applying to internal medicine which is work intensive.

What kind of dog breeds require less maintenance? Are there any dogs that can be potty trained or do not need daily walks in case I am on call? Also, I know that puppies are hard work, is there a right age where you can get a dog that has already been trained well but still can bond well with its new owner? Why do people not want to get shelter dogs?

Additionally, if owning a dog during residency will be too work intensive, would getting something less intensive like a hamster be better?
It sounds like it would a crappy life to be your dog. Don’t get a dog until you can properly care for it

Reactions: 2 users

I’d you are single don’t. Dogs needs human companionship and suffer if let alone. When I was doing internship and was gone for prolonged hours and my husband was also gone our poor dog was lonely and sad and barked all day and drive the neighbors nuts. Now we know better, and my husband works from home and my dogs hang out w hubs in his office. Dogs also make a mess if left alone for long periods of time. You can of course get a dog sitter but that adds up. Maybe when you are in later years of residency and do mostly outpatient stuff and can come home to them.get a cat or a fish.

I always say that the cat is the ideal healthcare professional pet.

Get 2 as kittens and they'll likely keep each other entertained as friends later on, as mine have. 2 kittens are actually less destructive than 1, as they are more likely to play with each other than eat your power cords (they still might).

Then you really don't have as much guilt when you do long call and come home to them curled up together.

If you get enough cat boxes, you only have to scoop a couple times a week (more if the smell is an issue). Usually you can free feed and put out enough food for several days. Besides that, and fresh water every day, you only have to spend <30 min a week on the cat box caring for them. You could even pay someone to do the cat box for the most part, and it would still be cheaper than whatever dog care you can hire.

You can take a laser pointer to exercise them or drain energy, for a few minutes a day. Otherwise they are usually happy to sit with you while you watch TV or read.

When I went to a shelter that fosters the cats to private homes, I asked for the 2 most cuddly lap cats they had.

When they were kittens, I stayed home as much as I could while they were growing, to bond. Cats mostly bond to whoever feeds and pets them.

You should keep them strictly indoors. Seriously. Mine are, and between each other, toys, and a good window view, they are content with that. They don't have fleas this way, don't kill endangered birds they can't tell from common ones, and don't die young in terrible ways.

It's also much easier to go away for a few days, the weekend, or even weeks if needed. All you need is a neighbor who can look in one them every couple days, with a few lengthier petting visits.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone who is single/ lives alone have a dog? How much does dog-sitting/ dog-walking cost you?

Why don't you start with volunteering at a shelter? You could get lots of doggy love without the need to be the constantly present person for one dog (which is awesome, but not something you can do as a single person while working full time).

Otherwise, if you still want a pet at home then yes, get a cat. If you got a dog while single and working long hours the dog could end up bonding with the dog walker more than with you.

As the happy owner of a former rescue dog, I too don't know why more people don't have shelter dogs. Puppies are a lot of hard work for a long time, and the main reason people seem to cite for not wanting shelter dogs (you don't know what you are getting) I think actually applies to puppies even more - at 8 weeks, when a lot of puppies go to their new owners, you have very little idea of personality. A good shelter will take time to work with you and its dogs to get the right personality fit for you, and if you want a specific breed there are rescues dedicated to most breeds. An adult dog will bond with you: it will take a few weeks for the bond to form and after that it will just deepen over time. But I had to wait until (early) retirement to get my dog. Unless you acquire a stay at home significant other, so should you.

This is just my opinion, but I would advise against getting a dog. The explosion in single people owning dogs is kind of a pet peeve for me. I feel bad for both the dogs and the owners. One of my residency classmates, who was single and lived alone, had a dog, and that was always her excuse as to why she could never come to happy hour or whatever--"I have to go home and walk my dog!" As someone who is still single, I'm finding the same phenomenon impedes dating; so many women can't be spontaneous (meet for a drink after work, go somewhere for the weekend, etc.) because they always have to take care of that dog. As has been mentioned upthread, dogs are social animals and need companionship. My downstairs neighbor(s) have a dog who barks up a storm at random hours, presumably because they're not even home. IMHO, single people living alone in apartments have no business owning dogs. I love dogs, but would never get one unless and until I had a house, yard, and family.

Does anyone who is single/ lives alone have a dog? How much does dog-sitting/ dog-walking cost you?

Have 2. 15/per walk. Both senior rescues. Insurance/food/meds/vet visit/grooming costs: 4-500/month. Dont do it unless you have the time and finances. Not fair to the doggie or to you.

I would discourage a dog at this time. I'm an attending (FM) and don't have the time for a dog given leaving in the AM for the gym before work and having night hours 2 days/week. I'd start with a cat (or fish).

Dogs are great. They're also time-intensive and have both social and physical needs. Get one after your residency.

During residency, get a cat. Lower maintenance, and you get a purring lap-warmer that doesn't mind being left alone all day and won't poop on your carpet when you're on call.

(My wife and I have two cats, one dog, and four kids. We're hopelessly outnumbered.)

But... but..

Thanks everyone, this makes sense to me, I will probably go for a different animal like a cat if I do go for one or just wait until I have the time and the resources.

Yes, good idea.

I was going to do the same thing, and decided...to get fish. You should see the algae ridden who knows what the pH of the water 10 gallon tank I have, where only decorative catfish are hearty enough to live in!

Now w/ the end of residency looming, it's time to revisit my dog idea.

It costs me about $150 per week to have the dog sitter come over twice a day while I'm at work. There's also the cost for the trainer which is important for me and this breed, although if you have the time, consistency and interest you may not need a trainer.

Now that mine is old enough and has had all her shots, she can go to doggie day care; most places here run about $30 per day for a full day.

You can easily google dog sitters in your area and see what the charge; it will vary with length of visit, whether they come to your home or the dog stays with them etc.

As others have said, I would highly discourage anyone living by themselves getting a dog without a flexible schedule and the income to support a dog sitter. I had a cat (or two) all through training and it was nice, much easier, cheaper.

I'm single with two dogs and formerly a nice house with a huge fenced yard. I did this while working full-time on nights and commuting for grad school. Given my experience, I absolutely wouldn't recommend a single person get a dog during residency. I have a lot of guilt for not spending enough time with them during all of that.

My first dog is awesome and generally healthy, but racked up almost $1200 in vet bills the first year which was a bit unexpected and a challenge to deal with schedule wise as well. Been fairly normal cost wise after that except I have to buy expensive as heck special GI diet for him. That's something people don't always account for and the estimates online aren't always accurate. It only takes a few issues to really blow the budget.

I did both doggy daycare and a specialty walker at various points in time. This is in a midwest town pop around 100k. Doggy daycare varied from $12/day/dog to $22/day/dog. Luckiliy for me I prefered the crew at the smaller cheaper place and my dogs loved it as well.

The walker had a neat thing where they'd come by for either 20 or 40 minute exercise breaks for the dogs and activities ranged from running, to biking, to rollerblading. I liked it at first cuz it was good exercise for the dogs, but as they expanded it was many different people coming into my house each week. I wasn't comfortable with that. As a single female I liked the sense of security my dogs provided so I didn't want my dogs to get used to strangers that I hadn't introduced them to coming in and out and have them think every stranger was coming to play. Ultimately, I wound up supplementing doggy daycare by hiring some friends who loved dogs for some off hours stuff.

They got a good amount of attention and social doggy time, but it wasn't always enough time with me and I definitely could tell.

Final issue is that I had a nice house with a huge yard there and it was awesome for two large dogs. Lots of wildlife around, fun smells, plenty of room to run. Then I had to move and it's been hard to find suitable living for the dogs here. I'm not going to buy since I'm here temporarily and even if money wasn't an issue not all cities have good rental options for dogs.

Those are all things to keep in mind and I'd suggest waiting until you're done with residency and a bit settled as far as location and routine.

I wouldn't trade my dogs for anything, but readily admit getting them wasn't my smartest moment.

If people can have kids during residency, why can't the OP have a dog? Seriously, the attitude people have towards pets is getting ridiculous. Even if the dog ends up lonely a few hours during the day, it's still heaps better than languishing at a shelter; or even worse being put to sleep(a fate that many dogs, cats, rabbits, what-have-you face daily).

I understand that there are terrible pet owners and people who abuse animals for which shelters need to screen potential adopters. However, going by my experiences so far at shelters in my area, it's like their ideal pet owner is someone who is unemployed(or maybe independently wealthy) so that he/she can devote all hours to spending time with the animal at home. They expect you to have tons of references, inquire into your work and housing situation, and want you to live in a 3 bedroom house(studios or 1 bedrooms won't suffice for the health of the cat or dog....but apparently living in the shelter or on the streets will???lol). Honestly, why does it need to be more complicated than being a caring individual who can provide adequate(not necessarily luxury) food, housing, vet visits, and other husbandry requirements?

If people can have kids during residency, why can't the OP have a dog? Seriously, the attitude people have towards pets is getting ridiculous. Even if the dog ends up lonely a few hours during the day, it's still heaps better than languishing at a shelter; or even worse being put to sleep(a fate that many dogs, cats, rabbits, what-have-you face daily).

I understand that there are terrible pet owners and people who abuse animals for which shelters need to screen potential adopters. However, going by my experiences so far at shelters in my area, it's like their ideal pet owner is someone who is unemployed(or maybe independently wealthy) so that he/she can devote all hours to spending time with the animal at home. They expect you to have tons of references, inquire into your work and housing situation, and want you to live in a 3 bedroom house(studios or 1 bedrooms won't suffice for the health of the cat or dog....but apparently living in the shelter or on the streets will???lol). Honestly, why does it need to be more complicated than being a caring individual who can provide adequate(not necessarily luxury) food, housing, vet visits, and other husbandry requirements?
Are you serious with this? I mean this honestly: do you understand how raising children works?

People that have kids either a) have a spouse that stays home with the kids (since you can't leave a baby at home alone) or b) pay for full time day care. What you don't see is people having kids and leaving the kids at home alone all day. Because, you know, you'd go to jail for child neglect.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you serious with this? I mean this honestly: do you understand how raising children works?

People that have kids either a) have a spouse that stays home with the kids (since you can't leave a baby at home alone) or b) pay for full time day care. What you don't see is people having kids and leaving the kids at home alone all day. Because, you know, you'd go to jail for child neglect.

but i get his point in that people equate dog = child...and as you point out, that is not the case.

i overall agree that its not fair to either the person or the dog in general, but he does bring up a valid point of which would be better for the animal...being warm and a bit bored in a house vs a shelter or being euthanatized?

I think smaller dogs or maybe an older dog (not a puppy)may be better options for those in residency ...i know as our dogs aged they had less energy and were just happy to sleep on the couch!