Getting a Dog a PGY1 Dermatology resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPF100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've finally been fortunate to match to Dermatology (Canada), incoming PGY1 this summer - I wanted to get a dog for the longest time but with other commitments just didn't see myself having the right time or living situation.

Now, I'll be living in my own place and wanted to ask for advice from fellow residents/students/MDs what kind of dog they recommend for a single very active male resident (runner, hiker etc) outdoorsy type.

I have been eyeing Goldendoodles/Labradoodles for a while and their personality seems like welcomed friendly companionship?

Any recommendations/advice/pearls of wisdom?

Members don't see this ad.

I adopted a dog not a puppy (18 months old) at the end of my first year which made things much easier as he was potty trained. Plus with an older dog you have a better idea of their personality going into the adoption. I know you probably want to get a dog asap now that you could, but I would give yourself several months to get in to the swing of residency.

If you live alone you will also need to find and budget for reliable dog walkers for any 24 hr calls. I don't imagine there are a ton in dermatology.... but maybe for off service rotations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk, edited because I lost track of my train of thought half way through and thought I was replying to a medical student since I got my dog as a medical student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OP is a resident, FWIW.

However general advice from above poster still applies. OP, I would wait until you have a better handle of your schedule (and how much time you won't be at home) before you commit to a dog. If you find at 1, or 3 months (or whatever timeframe you're comfortable with) that you have time for a dog, I would look into one then.

In regards to the type of dog, I have no experience with it so can't comment further.

Waiting a little longer will also give you time to meet some of your co-residents and see if you can find any who seem game to help feed and walk your pup on those call nights or night float (I'm assuming you'll be doing a medicine first year as I think Derm does here in the US, or at least will have overnight obligations at some point in your training) - if you have co-residents who also have dogs, and can work out a way to help each other out, so much the better.

Reactions: 1 user
"Getting a Dog a PGY1 Dermatology resident?" I would love to give my dog a PG1 dermatology resident, but I don't think I could afford it.

Haha, what? I don't follow.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated