Geriatrics requirement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandy616

Reaction score
Is it a mandatory rotation for internal medicine residents per ACGME ? If so, how long ?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no minimum length. It used to be 4 weeks, but in the current requirements it's undefined:

1686795591825.png

The rules do state that whomever is supervising your Geri experience must be board certified in Geri, either via IM or FP. It can be inpatient or outpatient, and does not need to be a standalone rotation (i.e. may be integrated into other blocks). Many programs create a rotation to ensure compliance. Just "we take care of old patients" isn't going to be acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I saw the rotation requirement on their website. Could you explain " it does not need to be a standalone rotation (i.e. may be integrated into other blocks). thanks

The document is here: https://www.acgme.org/globalassets/pfassets/programrequirements/140_internalmedicine_2022v4.pdf (although I think you found it already)

The rule is that programs need to deliver a clinical experience in Geriatrics. It could be a rotation, and there's no specific length. If your program has an X+Y schedule, then having a 1 or 1/2 day session on the Y blocks would also meet this. So it's possible it's a block, or some other required experience built into the schedule.

But, in the end it's your program's call. If they have a required rotation, you can't say "the ACGME rules say I don't need to have one". The program can assign a 2 or 4 week rotation as a requirement if they want.

OK, I saw the rotation requirement on their website. Could you explain " it does not need to be a standalone rotation (i.e. may be integrated into other blocks). thanks
Why does it matter? Are you going to go to your PD and argue with them about doing a geriatrics rotation or something?

I need a site changed after 2 weeks because of a medical reason and need to know what is the minimum requirement so I do not get in trouble.

I need a site changed after 2 weeks because of a medical reason and need to know what is the minimum requirement so I do not get in trouble.
Well, according to what @NotAProgDirector posted, you're in the clear. You had a "geriatrics clinical experience". You're good.

The ACGME sets standards for the program at large. They won't care about a single resident experience. When IM PGY-3's get the reisdent survey, they will be asked about their educational experience and one of those (many) questions will be whether your Geri experience was adequate. Again, the ACGME won't care about your individual answer, just the overall score for the program.

All that said, the program can set any requirements they deem fit.