Geriatrics Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBP12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For an IM doc who has worked both in a clinic outpatient setting, done nursing home work, and also as a hospitalist, is doing a geratric fellowship worth it in terms of salary and lifestyle? Basically will you see much of an increase in salary or much of a difference in work/life balance and workload?

While where I live in WI, you can make great money both in primary care clinic setting and also as a hospitalist, the workload and burnout is insane, especially as a hospitalist, and then also in primary care when considering the paperwork.

With a geriatric fellowship would my salary change much versus clinic or hospitalist work and will the intensity of the workload decrease?

Members don't see this ad.

For an IM doc who has worked both in a clinic outpatient setting, done nursing home work, and also as a hospitalist, is doing a geratric fellowship worth it in terms of salary and lifestyle? Basically will you see much of an increase in salary or much of a difference in work/life balance and workload?

While where I live in WI, you can make great money both in primary care clinic setting and also as a hospitalist, the workload and burnout is insane, especially as a hospitalist, and then also in primary care when considering the paperwork.

With a geriatric fellowship would my salary change much versus clinic or hospitalist work and will the intensity of the workload decrease?
Probably not in regards to income...it’s more about enjoying the subject matter and what you do for work.
Do geriatrics if it’s the aspect of IM that you like and want to focus on it.

I would have to agree with the other post. Geriatric fellowship probably offers a structured curriculum but other than that not much in terms of benefits to your salary. I knew a few Geriatricians who did not even advertise their training since they were already overbooked with patients by word of mouth. If it interests you just see more geriatric aged patients.