Can I spend my 2 year J1 home requirement doing a fellowship in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacktoastintolerant

canadian, eh?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying for IM as a non-US IMG (Canadian with UK med degree). If I do 3 years IM residency + 1 year chief + US cardiology fellowship, can I do a sub-specialty specialization fellowship in Canada and come back and work in that sub-specialty?

Or is it possible to do 3 years IM residency + 1 year chief, leave the country to do a Canadian cardiology fellowship?

Has anyone done anything similar or know of anyone who has had to face the same choice?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes either of those scenarios are possible. For the latter, US residency followed by Canadian fellowships are relatively well-tread paths for Canadian IMGs. I personally know of two Canadian non-US IMGs who went off to Canadian cards fellowships through MSM after US residencies. You can check out the Canadian forum on SDN. As for the superfellowship, as far as I know, there is also nothing holding you back in doing this.

Yes either of those scenarios are possible. For the latter, US residency followed by Canadian fellowships are relatively well-tread paths for Canadian IMGs. I personally know of two Canadian non-US IMGs who went off to Canadian cards fellowships through MSM after US residencies. You can check out the Canadian forum on SDN. As for the superfellowship, as far as I know, there is also nothing holding you back in doing this.
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll check the other forum out. c: