Georgia, Australia, or Arizona?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunsetskies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So it's getting down to that point where I should be taking the MCAT and giving serious consideration to medical schools, and I'd really love some advice!
First, some stats-
cGPA- 3.5
I've gotten C's in Freshman Chem I lab and calc-based physics. Otherwise, they've been A's and B's. I have not yet taken the second half of calc-based physics or Ochem.
I've worked at an anesthesiologist's office for four years (off and on since I've been in college, but before I was doing about 10-15 hours a week when I was in school, 40 when I was out of school).
I currently volunteer at a small clinic while I'm in college, I've done that for three hours a week this semester. It will, however, jump up to at least 6 hours a week next semester.
I'm also involved in social psychology research- I do that 6-8 hours a week as well.
On top of that, I work 30 hours a week.
Sometimes, I sleep.

I haven't taken the MCATs yet, but I'm projected to take those next summer, after I take the dreaded Ochem.

Now, based on that info, what are my chances of getting into....
University of Queensland
Arizona College of Medicine
MCG

I'm interested in UQ Queensland because of their program with Oschner clinical school- you do your first 2 years in Queensland and clinicals at Oschner. I've been talking to a recruiter and it seems like a pretty solid school.
MCG of course, because I live in Georgia and it's also a good, solid med school.
Arizona because I was told you should do your med school stuff in the area you want to practice.

Now, based on that info, does anyone happen to have thoughts/advice they might be willing to share? I think I'll have to go back and retake that chem lab along with physics..any opinions are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So it's getting down to that point where I should be taking the MCAT and giving serious consideration to medical schools, and I'd really love some advice!
First, some stats-
cGPA- 3.5
I've gotten C's in Freshman Chem I lab and calc-based physics. Otherwise, they've been A's and B's. I have not yet taken the second half of calc-based physics or Ochem.
I've worked at an anesthesiologist's office for four years (off and on since I've been in college, but before I was doing about 10-15 hours a week when I was in school, 40 when I was out of school).
I currently volunteer at a small clinic while I'm in college, I've done that for three hours a week this semester. It will, however, jump up to at least 6 hours a week next semester.
I'm also involved in social psychology research- I do that 6-8 hours a week as well.
On top of that, I work 30 hours a week.
Sometimes, I sleep.

I haven't taken the MCATs yet, but I'm projected to take those next summer, after I take the dreaded Ochem.

Now, based on that info, what are my chances of getting into....
University of Queensland
Arizona College of Medicine
MCG

I'm interested in UQ Queensland because of their program with Oschner clinical school- you do your first 2 years in Queensland and clinicals at Oschner. I've been talking to a recruiter and it seems like a pretty solid school.
MCG of course, because I live in Georgia and it's also a good, solid med school.
Arizona because I was told you should do your med school stuff in the area you want to practice.

Now, based on that info, does anyone happen to have thoughts/advice they might be willing to share? I think I'll have to go back and retake that chem lab along with physics..any opinions are appreciated!

While I have heard good things about the Oschner program (we have an alumna who is in the program), I wouldn't have it as plan B. So much of your app now focuses on your MCAT and whether you can avoid any more grades less than a B+/A-. You have almost a full year to study for the MCAT. Do well on it (11 or higher in each section) will likely compensate a bit for your subpar GPA. Try that, apply to at least 15-20 MD and ~5 DO schools before you look into programs abroad. Yes, they prep you for USMLE, you rotate in the states, but you will still be labelled as a FMG. I would suggest avoiding that if you can help it.

Also, O-chem is time consuming, try to take a lighter course load when you do take it. Good news is, o-chem is a very small part of the MCAT and it isn't 1/10th as difficult as the class. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I have heard good things about the Oschner program (we have an alumna who is in the program), I wouldn't have it as plan B. So much of your app now focuses on your MCAT and whether you can avoid any more grades less than a B+/A-. You have almost a full year to study for the MCAT. Do well on it (11 or higher in each section) will likely compensate a bit for your subpar GPA. Try that, apply to at least 15-20 MD and ~5 DO schools before you look into programs abroad. Yes, they prep you for USMLE, you rotate in the states, but you will still be labelled as a FMG. I would suggest avoiding that if you can help it.

I actually had the Oschner program as a first choice. What is bad about being labeled an FMG? Will I be treated differently than US med school students?

Should I retake my chem classes and my physics course, to show I've improved since taking those classes? They were huge classes, and I've found that when I take science courses at a smaller school, I do significantly better because of the more hands-on teaching style. Your thoughts?

Also, O-chem is time consuming, try to take a lighter course load when you do take it. Good news is, o-chem is a very small part of the MCAT and it isn't 1/10th as difficult as the class. Hang in there.

You. Are my hero. I've been BEYOND TERRIFIED of taking the MCAT specifically because of the Ochem section. Ohthankgoodness. :)

I actually had the Oschner program as a first choice. What is bad about being labeled an FMG? Will I be treated differently than US med school students?

Should I retake my chem classes and my physics course, to show I've improved since taking those classes? They were huge classes, and I've found that when I take science courses at a smaller school, I do significantly better because of the more hands-on teaching style. Your thoughts?

You yourself stated you should do your schooling near where you want to practice. Yet you have an Australian program as your first choice :confused:

Yes, very differently. It is much more difficult to get a US residency as an FMG and you have only a tiny chance at competitive residencies. Especially now, with a lot of new US med schools opening but no more residency spots opening up, getting into a US MD/DO program is crucial if you want to practice in the US.

Sorry, I didn't check back after I posted.
I don't know about you, but my chem/physics are my weakest subjects. To retake o-chem II would be extra stress and I couldn't be sure I could get an A. Also, did you do poorly both semesters or just one? If you think you can get at least an A- on them and you have time, then sure, retake them. AACOMAS will replace the grades, so that will definitely give your gpa a boost.

PM me if you have any other questions. :)