WAMC for my school list? Georgia resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricardoleake21

Reaction score
I’m in the process of completing and submitting secondary applications, but I’m worried that my application might suffer because of my amount clinical hours (40). I spent the first two years of undergrad at a Big Ten university where I played collegiate baseball. It wasn’t uncommon for me to spend over 30 hours a week at baseball, and we were “strongly encouraged” to play in summer leagues too. After 2 years, I had to retire due to injuries. I spent one semester focusing on shadowing and setting up research. I was able to get about 2 months of clinical volunteering in before COVID shut it down. I started delivering meals to the elderly and volunteering at a crisis hotline, but that’s not really clinical. I’m worried that my lower clinical hours might hurt my chances for this cycle.

What do you think? Are there schools I should consider instead of the ones listed?

Thanks!

GPA: 3.85 (3.75 science)

MCAT: 514 (130/127/127/130)

Here are some of my extracurriculars:

-2 year baseball letter winner

-125 shadowing hours (would have had more without the pandemic)

-primary author of a psychology research paper that is in the process of being published

-Since September 2019, I have been an undergraduate research assistant in a psychology lab (served mostly as a confederate) —> 200 hours

-worked as a volunteer in the ER for 2 months (only 40 hours - limited by both COVID and my baseball participation)

-have been delivering meals to the elderly since April through Meals on Wheels —> 100 hours so far

-was a member of a leadership group within my university’s athletic department and helped organize a holiday toy drive last November

-was a volunteer note taker all last school year for students with disabilities

-worked as a baseball camp counselor and instructor for 2 years

-volunteer at the Crisis Text Line for the last several months (~150 hours so far)

-Certified contact tracer

I’m a Georgia resident and a 4th year undergrad. I’m thinking of applying to:

• University of Nebraska
  • Tufts
  • Emory
  • Wake
  • Kaiser
  • UCLA
  • Colorado (Denver)
  • Georgetown
  • Michigan
  • Medical College of Georgia
  • Rush
  • Albert Einstein
  • Drexel
  • UAB
  • Sidney Kimmel (Thomas Jefferson)
  • Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When are you planning to apply ?

I’m applying this cycle. I have an interview with Nebraska coming up. I was also thinking of working full-time as a scribe for a couple months this winter. Would adcoms really even see that though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush is looking for applicants with far more clinical exposure hours and non clinical volunteering hours than you have. UAB accepts few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest adding more schools this week and consider these:
Mercer (only accepts Georgia residents)
Miami
TCU-UNT
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Temple
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Rochester
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin

Reactions: 1 user
Rush is looking for applicants with far more clinical exposure hours and non clinical volunteering hours than you have. UAB accepts few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest adding more schools this week and consider these:
Mercer (only accepts Georgia residents)
Miami
TCU-UNT
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Temple
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Rochester
Cincinnati
Ohio State