Georgetown SMP 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckFMP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All - I don't see a thread for the 2010-2011 applicants/class, so I'm starting one.

Submitted my app in December. My status shows that everything but my MCAT scores have been received. I emailed and they said that MCAT scores haven't been entered yet. Has anyone else made it further? Also, please share your stories. Here's a quick rundown on me.

I'm a 37 y/o non-trad with a mixed bag of undergrad grades. Finished with a 2.9 (a little low for this program). I have an MBA from a top program with good grades so hopefully that will help. My resume's pretty strong, and I have solid LORs and ECs. Took the MCAT in April '08 and got a 30L. Still pissed about that stupid 'L'. Breakdown was 10-11-9.

In all, I consider myself a marginal candidate for the program, but not out. We'll see. Also, I've applied and been accepted to the Drexel IMS program, so I know I'm doing something next year. I'm just not certain what and where it will be.

I look forward to hearing from others.

Buck

Members don't see this ad.

I just sent in my application packet as well, so we'll see what happens. I'm waitlisted , with interviews upcoming, but am just being cautious... though the thought of more time off is nauseating me.

So far, I have applied to Tufts and Cincinnati as well. I think Georgetown's program would be best, but it's also the most expensive. We'll see though...

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in as well. I sent my application on December 10th, and everything is finalized except for my MCAT scores as well. I think the gtown app says incomplete for my mcat. I've taken my mcat before (27R) and I told them I'd update them with a new score after I take the Jan 30th exam.

Goodluck to everyone out there!

I also applied to Cincinnati and EVMS

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also applied to Tufts, BU, and VCU. Did either of you look at Drexel IMS? Also, what about D.O.?

Good luck all!

Finished and submitted app in December. Emailed 1/4 saying complete and forwarded for review and response can take up to 4 weeks, so, could potentially hear later this month/early Feb. Had 3.0 and 33R. Hopefully it works out well bc who doesn't want to attend class in a building that looks like Hogwartz? (Healy). Good fortune to us all.

Finished and submitted app in December. Emailed 1/4 saying complete and forwarded for review and response can take up to 4 weeks, so, could potentially hear later this month/early Feb. Had 3.0 and 33R. Hopefully it works out well bc who doesn't want to attend class in a building that looks like Hogwartz? (Healy). Good fortune to us all.

Thats so funny, every day when we would drive over the bridge my wife would call it Hogwarts as well, lol Unfortunately as an SMP student, you won't have any classes in that building... I was bummed too.

Honestly, I have no idea about your or even my real competitive position. I can tell you that your GPA is better than mine, and if I recall correctly, it seems to be in line with some people who were accepted in past years. It seems to me that the MCAT score is important to them too, so until you have that, it remains even harder to guess. Also, since the MCAT's required for the program, I wouldn't worry too much about everything else until you have your score or at least have taken the test. You can take the month b/w the test and getting your score to make sure all your ducks are in a row.

When reading about some other SMPs, e.g., Drexel IMS, I have seen posts where people were admitted quite late in the cycle, and a lot of the programs take apps until July. If you perform solidly on the MCAT, then you should be a strong SMP candidate. The important thing is to not miss deadlines.

So, if you're bent on starting an SMP in August, you might consider doing all your homework on them now (during MCAT study breaks of course ; ). If they need an app before you get your scores in May, then you have no choice but to apply now. If they can wait until after May, then save your $$ and apply after you have your score. Having your score will allow you to better scope the programs that fit you.

That's my two bits. Hope it's a little helpful.

Good luck to you.

- Buck

i applied as well. BUT i submitted my app on october 24th! i've been hoping to get in for a while now... and i'm not complete yet! i had to resend 3 transcripts and all my LORs because i guess they never made it. I'm a little upset/frustrated that i submitted everything so early and i called to make sure everything was good, and still something went wrong =(

my stats are: 3.2 from Berkeley, 1500 GRE, research experience at Stanford and UCSF, 2 publications. I'm taking the MCAT in April though, so I really hope Georgetown will evaluate me asapppp. i only applied to this one school so i could save money. if i don't hear from them by mid feb, i might apply to other schools

what do you guys think? am i ok for the SMP or am i really dumb for not applying elsewhere?

Looks to me like you have a great chance. 3.2 is right around what they hope to see in terms of GPA. They have no problem looking at your app with just the GRE. As I recall they like to see above a 1200 to be competitive. Obviously you have that as well. Research experience, definite positive. If you have some volunteer time that would be great too.

So without details its hard to know, but it definitely looks good to me. If they aren't sure, they may defer until they see your MCAT score, but just keep up the hard work and you'll probably hear either way soon. Once you get the "app complete" e-mail you'll probably hear within a couple weeks.

Good luck!

Looks to me like you have a great chance. 3.2 is right around what they hope to see in terms of GPA. They have no problem looking at your app with just the GRE. As I recall they like to see above a 1200 to be competitive. Obviously you have that as well. Research experience, definite positive. If you have some volunteer time that would be great too.

So without details its hard to know, but it definitely looks good to me. If they aren't sure, they may defer until they see your MCAT score, but just keep up the hard work and you'll probably hear either way soon. Once you get the "app complete" e-mail you'll probably hear within a couple weeks.

Good luck!

Dr JD...I received an App Complete email last week, but in my app I placed that I will retake my MCAT on Jan 30 2010, and update them with a score on March 3rd when it is released. My old MCAT was a 27 and my cGPA is a 3.34. What do you think they will do, and do you think I'll get in?

I applied in early December of '09, with plenty of volunteer and research experience. My practice MCAT is throwing me with a 31-34 range, so we'll see....:scared:

Dr JD...I received an App Complete email last week, but in my app I placed that I will retake my MCAT on Jan 30 2010, and update them with a score on March 3rd when it is released. My old MCAT was a 27 and my cGPA is a 3.34. What do you think they will do, and do you think I'll get in?

I applied in early December of '09, with plenty of volunteer and research experience. My practice MCAT is throwing me with a 31-34 range, so we'll see....:scared:

They won't let you in yet, because as I understand it they are being more strict with the cut offs. So that 27 is going to hurt you. They will likely wait until your new score to review you. As long as that is around 30 it seems like you'd have a decent chance. Your GPA is what they like to see!

If for some reason they send you a rejection because of the MCAT, make sure you recontact them with your new MCAT score assuming it is higher. Keep up the hard work on the MCAT that will really pay off for you if you can get above 30!

They won't let you in yet, because as I understand it they are being more strict with the cut offs. So that 27 is going to hurt you. They will likely wait until your new score to review you. As long as that is around 30 it seems like you'd have a decent chance. Your GPA is what they like to see!

If for some reason they send you a rejection because of the MCAT, make sure you recontact them with your new MCAT score assuming it is higher. Keep up the hard work on the MCAT that will really pay off for you if you can get above 30!

Thanks DrJD! Also, I hear the class starts filling around Spring. From what I remembered off the class of 2010 Gtown SMP thread, the school has about 185 seats, and about 20-30 of those seats are filled by the end of Feb (judging from the number of people in the Yahoo group). Was this info true?

BTW: Thank you for the Blog!! I read it incessantly while you were posting :D

Hey DrJD, I just wanted to let you know that I read your blog (in the entirety) the other day and I think you offered some great insight into Gtown's SMP... Keep up the great work!

Also, do you know how they view differences in BCPM and cum (I have a 2.9 BCPM and a 3.2 cum)? I also have a 30 on the MCAT (I'm considering retaking this spring to bring up my PS from an 8). Do you think I have a shot at their program?

i also applied, complete 12/2. 3.2 gpa, 32Q MCAT; still no word yet.

so, how does one finance such a program? can you take out loans for living expenses as well as tuition?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
2 posts above: my understanding is they create a budget for the year including all assumed expenses including tuition and housing which is around $64,000 or so, meaning that you are only able to take out in loans up to that amount from the various lenders like Gradplus or whatever, they will not give you more than GTown says it costs to attend. This is only if you need to borrow to finance the year.

1 post above: In the 'complete' email you should receive very soon they tell you to wait at least 4 weeks for a reply, but it could come sooner as I think last year people heard back anywhere from 2-4 weeks of being complete. So begins the mini waiting game.

How long do they take on average to decide and let us know?

it seems to be highly variable. i was browsing previous years' threads and some got a reply in one (ONE!) week.. whereas others had to wait 4-5. last year people started hearing back around the end of this week/next week if they were complete at the beginning of the month (when the committee began reviewing after the break) so for you i would predict mid-february.. but who the heck really knows..

Officially under review today... submitted my application on January 9, 2010 with letters and transcripts arriving later.

I'm having issues with the recommendation stuff. I have all my letters in an electronic letter service with my school and it's done as a composite so they'll be sent in all at once. How am I suppose to fill in the recommendation form when it asks for people's names and emails?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

I'm having issues with the recommendation stuff. I have all my letters in an electronic letter service with my school and it's done as a composite so they'll be sent in all at once. How am I suppose to fill in the recommendation form when it asks for people's names and emails?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

My letters were in Interfolio. I sent a message and below is the response I received. Sounds like you should follow the same process making a small change where I put in 'Interfolio'.

Good luck!

- Buck

"We accept hard copy letters sent by Interfolio. When filling out your
application, select that you are submitting a committee letter. In the
fields for the first and last name of your contact, put "Interfolio." In
the field asking for a contact email, you may use an alternative email address that you own or a dummy email address.
Disregard the email you will receive that outlines how to upload an electronic letter to
ApplyYourself. Have Interfolio send the letters to the following address:

Office of Biomedical Graduate Education
Attn: M.S. Credentials - SMP
Georgetown University
Box 571411-M
NE303 Medical-Dental Building
3900 Reservoir Road, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20057-1411"

in case anyone is wondering, got an email from them saying this:

"No one receives and email when the application is under review. You will receive notice once a decision has been made on your application."

so.. i guess as long as it says you're complete on the website, you're good.

:)

Last edited:
how do you know if your application is under review??? I submitted on Jan 9, but recommendations/transcripts weren't complete until jan 24...

how do you know if your application is under review??? I submitted on Jan 9, but recommendations/transcripts weren't complete until jan 24...

I received this to let me know I was under review...

Dear 'Me',
Thank you for your interest in the Special Masters Program. Your application is complete and under review. Please allow at least four weeks for a reply.
Sincerely,
Amy Y. Richards
Academic Coordinator - SMP

just recieved acceptance email! woohoo! time to take out massive loans!

(submitted 11/20, complete 12/2)

waitlisted............ FML, totally losing my positive life vibes with this news, wish I could travel back to my freshman year and kick my 'majoring in beer pong' 18 year old self in the balls and tell him to go to the library and study gen chem. I guess I get to keep doing what i've been, wait. Glad patience was a viture I wanted to improve in '10.

I think you will either get waitlisted with hopes that you update with a new mcat score or you will get put to the side til they get your new MCAT score if you inform them that you are retaking to be above the cutoffs and raise your score. Good luck. Your GPA is solid for what the program is looking for. Just a matter of bringing the MCAT up.

Hey guju, you're right. I just got an email today that I am waitlisted and that they are waiting for new MCAT scores to arrive. So I will update them early march with my new scores.

I am strongly considering applying, but I still need to register for the MCAT. The only dates that are available are in May, so does that mean that I'm out of the running for this year?

Also, how competitive is the program? How many students do they generally accept? Is it just if you have a 3.0 GPA and a 28 or better that you are "a good applicant"?

I would also like to tell you all to join the yahoo group for Gtown. There should and usually also is one separate of the question forum for the people who are actually accepted to the program. So do look into that for you guys as I think I remember DrJD stressing that to us last year.

See my sig below for a link to the Yahoo group Guju is talking about. Dr. Myers, who is one of the head honchos there, as well as other admins from the program regularly reply to questions...

hey imrep1972,

i couldn't help but notice you're graduating this year from georgetown's med program (congrats!)--could you comment a little on your experience in the SMP and the path from SMP to georgetown SOM? perhaps you'd even be willing to disclose how well you did in the SMP, and what your study methods were?

hey imrep1972,

i couldn't help but notice you're graduating this year from georgetown's med program (congrats!)--could you comment a little on your experience in the SMP and the path from SMP to georgetown SOM? perhaps you'd even be willing to disclose how well you did in the SMP, and what your study methods were?

Yeah, I'd be happy to do that. Right now, I'm just finishing up interviewing for residency, so I'm a little busy... if you haven't gotten a reply from me in a couple days, pm me and I'll post. I should have a lot more free time coming up...

I thought I'd pop in here as well. I applied to the program back in December, though my application wasn't listed as complete until 1/22. My stats are below - what do you think my chances might be?

Undergrad GPA: 2.85 (BS Biochem)
Graduate GPA: 3.7 (MA Bioethics)
MCATS: 4/05 39P - (15-p, 13-v, 11-b)
8/08 37M - (13-p, 12-v, 12-b)
GRE: 800-q, 690-v, 5.5-a

Solid numbers DRLaut. I'm sure you'll get strong consideration. BTW - I also submitted all of my stuff in December, and I'm still not complete. I've had my MCAT scores released to them twice and they said yesterday that they're still missing. I'm pretty frustrated with them right now. ARGHHH!

Ah... waitlisted... I never knew purgatory had so much room.

Ah... waitlisted... I never knew purgatory had so much room.

...or a sense of humor, I was just waitlisted again, second time in 2 weeks, at first there was a small light of hope they decided to hook it up with an acceptance after a very short wait, but not the case, another waitlist email. I now account for 100% more of the waitlist than the avg waitlist-ee (but I prob need 2 acceptances now...) good luck to those whose futures have not yet been focused to the 'waitlist'.

...or a sense of humor, I was just waitlisted again, second time in 2 weeks, at first there was a small light of hope they decided to hook it up with an acceptance after a very short wait, but not the case, another waitlist email. I now account for 100% more of the waitlist than the avg waitlist-ee (but I prob need 2 acceptances now...) good luck to those whose futures have not yet been focused to the 'waitlist'.

Well, don't feel too bad. I was waitlisted at University of Cincinnati as well.

complete Jan 24
waitlisted today

(insert frustration here)

i was accepted to the georgetown SMP recently. i was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this SMP as a texas resident. my biggest concern is that texas schools are done interviewing at the end of fall - so they would never really utilize an update of my progress in the SMP. how does this work, texans? also anyone know how texas schools feel about this SMP in particular? thanks.

I see some people received an email saying they were under review. My application and supplements were received and marked complete on the website on 1/27. Am I good, or should I call and see if I am under review because I haven't gotten any email confirmation? Thanks for your help.

Hmm, it seems like we all are getting waitlisted (except for sinkorswim..congrats!!!)

I think if we send them a newer, more sparkling MCAT score, we stand a decent chance. Now, it's just a waiting game :/

If I get my app complete in April, is there still a realistic chance that I could get accepted into the program? or is April way too late?

From the alumni page of where people got in, seems like UT San Antonio and U North Texas seem to be accepting of people in this program as both 2006 and 2007 grads got into these 2 schools. I didn't see the other texas schools listed and Texas Tech is newer so that one doesn't count. But the others I did not see listed.

right, i've seen this alumni list before. honestly that's what sort of sparked my concern - there are 8 med schools in texas, yet only 2 on that list (1 MD, 1 DO). obviously not everyone in the program is a texas resident, but i am still curious how the timing works out with interviews before SMP update.

ok thanks for the advice. i'm looking further into this texas situation, so i'll post if i found out anything interesting or helpful.

BS
Did anyone else experience some turbulence in the application submission process?

So i turned in my app in the last week of November, and contacted all my letter writers the same evening. But for some reason the administration had trouble receieving my third recommendation and my MCAT scores. After a few rounds discussing the issue with them and accidentally being given an incorrect email address to send documents to, I find out my application was not considered complete until February 3rd. Very frustrating indeed. That said, congratulations to those who have been accepted... despite the setbacks I am still positive about the program and hopefully the next round of application reviews comes soon.

I submitted in mid-Dec. I have sent my MCAT scores to them three times and I'm still not complete. It is frustrating. Oh well, whaddya gonna do? Yell at them?

I also was not impressed with the Gtown admissions office either. I applied last year in Dec., and was in a bizarre purgatory status before finally being evaluated in Mar. But, I was then accepted to UC and immediately withdrew, which has certainly been for the better anyways.

Another trainwreck of an admissions office is Loyola, especially for the MAMS program. I didn't apply there but heard horror stories from another classmate here at UC. Yuck.

i was accepted to the georgetown SMP recently. i was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this SMP as a texas resident. my biggest concern is that texas schools are done interviewing at the end of fall - so they would never really utilize an update of my progress in the SMP. how does this work, texans? also anyone know how texas schools feel about this SMP in particular? thanks.

Hey, I'm a current Gtown physio, so I'll try to give you my impression of how this year's SMP class is performing with regards to med school admissions.

I would create 3 general classes of people. (a) Roughly 30-40% have had multiple med interviews and perhaps acceptances, (b) roughly another 30-40% perhaps a singular interview, and then (c) the remainder have had no interviews.

Group (a) typically are those who were already very borderline for MD acceptance, probably were interviewed/waitlisted the previous year, and probably don't even really need an SMP program; they would obtain entry with just a new letter of rec, or something. I'm looking at probably the 3.4gpa/33+MCAT people, with good ECs.

Group (b) typically has similar stats, but maybe not quite as good on the ECs. It also seems to depend on how broadly one applied. Applying to midwest/southern schools seems to be better nowadays than the formerly SMP-friendly schools like Drexel (that now have their own programs).

No discernible difference in group (c), other than being from Cali, which seems to predispose your application to being screwed. My guess is either letters/EC's weren't as good, or this group has a more extreme spread of GPA/MCAT (3.1/36 rather than 3.4/32). Perhaps more from this group will get interviews, but they'd pretty much have to get one within the next month as it's late in the game.

I'm under the impression that anyone Gtown Med interviews will be in April, so we won't find that out until later as well. The basic idea is that, if you're lucky, you get 1-2 interviews very late in the game (spring), then with high probability get wait-listed. After May 15, schools will start moving those lists, and most SMPers that get in during the same cycle seem to follow this route. The other half who eventually matriculate to med school do so in the application cycle.

Since Texas has a very early (i.e. May-November) application cycle, you would really only have success at acceptance during the year if you were in that first group - (a) (mult interview type). Since it sounds like you need the SMP for your numbers, you will most likely need to do what I most probably will do: reapp after completing the SMP. Then, you will get the full benefit of the program.

Summ: If you weren't good enough for an interview pre-SMP, then most likely the program won't help you during the year of the SMP; you'll have to wait until you have your final transcript/letter, etc.

Holla if you want to know more about the actual program, and I can give you the ground-view perspective.

Last edited: