Georgetown SMP 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That helps but I'm still a little confused. You apply to SMP programs through AMCAS?

Ohhhhhh next SMP Cycle....hahaha I thought you wanted to know about the amcas cycle...

Very simple answer: December of 2010 the app opens. Submit all your stuff in Dec and then it'll be reviewed in Jan of 2011 to start fall of 2011 as well

Lol:rolleyes: and no, you don't apply to gtown's smp through amcas. They have an in house grad app

Members don't see this ad.

Ohhhhhh next SMP Cycle....hahaha I thought you wanted to know about the amcas cycle...

Very simple answer: December of 2010 the app opens. Submit all your stuff in Dec and then it'll be reviewed in Jan of 2011 to start fall of 2011 as well

Lol:rolleyes: and no, you don't apply to gtown's smp through amcas. They have an in house grad app

Thank you! I probably should have been more clear the first time haha.

when is the earliest date to apply for the new cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, So if i fill out all the info. rite now does the info. erase? or stay?

sorry, So if i fill out all the info. rite now does the info. erase? or stay?

I think the best time to fill it out would be December 1 or 2 (when it officially opens). What you can do now is start creating your supplemental application. If you don't have an AMCAS to print out, you create your own supplemental document with your experiences, essays, MCAT scores, etc...

Honestly what I would do, if you want to start the SMP in 2011, is collect LOR from your professors. Also, you could start your personal statement and have that ready to go as well.

Got it! :thumbup: I'm planning on putting about 5 hours a day weekdays and about 6 hours a day on weekends. Of course, when tests come, I'll ramp it up more. Also, this is pure study time (no sdn, digg.com nytimes.com etc...)

Question Haplo: About when did you get an acceptance? Midway, towards the end? Beginning?
Thanks!

Make sure you stay amiable to changing your habits too. You might plan this study strat at first, but plan for changing/adjusting every test (as well as hours). Additionally, you cannot study for all stuff the same way..but you probably already know this. I know literally every course I was still changing things around in how/what I studied; it's an iterative process unique to every individual.

The most common study strat that I and many others used is: re-listen lecture audio within a day, go over that day's lectures within a day, repeat passes over all material, keep it organized with tables showing what you've studied. ALL material is fair game, even the stuff they tell you not to study, study it anyways (i.e. maintain a critical distrust to what profs consider testable). For anatomy, READ YOUR GRAY'S and know it, or you will do horribly.

To reply to your question about accept, not sure if asking about smp or med school. For smp, applied in Feb 09, email accept mid-to-late March 09, official letter about a month later. For med, amcas in Jul09, no interview invite until Feb10, interview end March10, waitlist April10, accept June10. Received GT interview mid March10, interview end March10, reject early May10 (GT made decisions before May 15 date this yr!). Most GT waitlisted (~1/2) accepted within next 2 weeks. These numbers will surely change by the time they greet you at orientation.

Last edited:
Make sure you stay amiable to changing your habits too. You might plan this study strat at first, but plan for changing/adjusting every test (as well as hours). Additionally, you cannot study for all stuff the same way..but you probably already know this. I know literally every course I was still changing things around in how/what I studied; it's an iterative process unique to every individual.

The most common study strat that I and many others used is: re-listen lecture audio within a day, go over that day's lectures within a day, repeat passes over all material, keep it organized with tables showing what you've studied. ALL material is fair game, even the stuff they tell you not to study, study it anyways (i.e. maintain a critical distrust to what profs consider testable). For anatomy, READ YOUR GRAY'S and know it, or you will do horribly.

To reply to your question about accept, not sure if asking about smp or med school. For smp, applied in Feb 09, email accept mid-to-late March 09, official letter about a month later. For med, amcas in Jul09, no interview invite until Feb10, interview end March10, waitlist April10, accept June10. Received GT interview mid March10, interview end March10, reject early May10 (GT made decisions before May 15 date this yr!). Most GT waitlisted (~1/2) accepted within next 2 weeks. These numbers will surely change by the time they greet you at orientation.

Thanks for the info haplo!

So about half of all the SMP students who were interviewed, gained an acceptance? That's not too bad actually. I am assuming they expect at least a 3.5 for an interview? about a 3.7 for an acceptance?

Well, I guess it's time to hit those books again!

accepted yesterday, withdrew, good luck

Just got on the wait list today! I don't know what that means in terms of my chances at this point, but at least it wasn't a flat-out rejection.

I still plan to attend if accepted, although it's going to make it really tricky figuring out what to do for housing next year since I'll either be here or in Southern California. Last-minute housing searches can be difficult.

If anyone on the GU SMP adcom is reading this, please know that I definitely plan to attend if accepted, but please let me know the decision either way as soon as possible!

P.S. Does anyone know how many people are on the wait list, how many accepted students have not yet responded, and when their response deadline is, if any?

Last edited:
Got it! :thumbup: I'm planning on putting about 5 hours a day weekdays and about 6 hours a day on weekends. Of course, when tests come, I'll ramp it up more. Also, this is pure study time (no sdn, digg.com nytimes.com etc...)

Question Haplo: About when did you get an acceptance? Midway, towards the end? Beginning?
Thanks!

Digg? Yuck. Please reddit.com.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted into this program. I just got my acceptance on Friday so I am looking for housing like everyone else. I'm a 26 year old male from Southern California looking to kick some major #$$ in this program. At the same time, I love going out and having drinks and just socializing in general when/if school allows. If anyone has a room available or is looking for a roommate send me a PM and we'll chat. Regardless, I look forward to meeting all of you and making some new friends!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reddit??! Digg's website looks nicer ! Hahaha :D

Design has nothing to do with it...... your personality will kind of determine whether you are a digg or reddit person. IMO people on reddit take themselves way too seriously. D:

Design has nothing to do with it...... your personality will kind of determine whether you are a digg or reddit person. IMO people on reddit take themselves way too seriously. D:

well now that everyone has mentioned reddit, I gotta take a look into it :)

Of'course I gotta do this before the gtown program begins in a few weeks !

Hi guys,

I just got off the waitlist for the SMP program and got accepted today (so excited! I know this is super late but I was wondering if anybody is still looking for suitemates/roommates, as I'm still looking for a place to live down there. Please PM me if interested. Thanks and good luck guys!

OK, so I've been reading this thread and think there are lots of people here who can give me some advise...(GuJuDoc, comes to mind)
About me: I have a PhD already, took the MCAT in 2007 but score was low

MCAT 2007: 24P
Grad GPA 3.6

I had previously taken the MCAT prior to going to Grad school
MCAT 2001 20Q
Undergrad GPA 2.8

As far as GPA, I have an upward trend, but it seems med schools don't count it much being that is grad school because, for one thing you are compared to other applicants based on undergrad gpa, and for the other I've read and heard that they consider grad school grades as "inflated", personally I don't agree but since I'm not ADCOM...my opinion does not count :p
My MCAT scores obviously need major improvement.

It may seem silly that after having a PhD I am considering an SMP but lets face it..is all about improving my chances of getting into med school which is my ultimate goal.
So please give me some concrete helpful advise, I appreciate it!!

OK, so I've been reading this thread and think there are lots of people here who can give me some advise...(GuJuDoc, comes to mind)
About me: I have a PhD already, took the MCAT in 2007 but score was low

MCAT 2007: 24P
Grad GPA 3.6

I had previously taken the MCAT prior to going to Grad school
MCAT 2001 20Q
Undergrad GPA 2.8

As far as GPA, I have an upward trend, but it seems med schools don't count it much being that is grad school because, for one thing you are compared to other applicants based on undergrad gpa, and for the other I've read and heard that they consider grad school grades as "inflated", personally I don't agree but since I'm not ADCOM...my opinion does not count :p
My MCAT scores obviously need major improvement.

It may seem silly that after having a PhD I am considering an SMP but lets face it..is all about improving my chances of getting into med school which is my ultimate goal.
So please give me some concrete helpful advise, I appreciate it!!

Its great that you got your PhD, however, I dont see it helping a great deal unless its related in some way to medicine/science. It certainly doesnt hurt though. Particularly when it's contrasted to your MCAT and uGPA.

Your MCAT is extremely low for MD schools. If you are an underrepresented minority (URM) you may be able get an interview with a score in the upper 20s. If you are an URM, you need to consider programs like Georgetown's GEM, where students have averaged a 23 MCAT in 2009.

Otherewise you absolutely must address your MCAT score. There is a high correlation between MCAT scores and success in medical school, i.e. Step 1 pass rates. Therefore its very important to at least fall in the average range, especially that special 10,10,10 score.

You could benefit from a Kaplan or Princeton Review prep course.

There are many other academic variables in your application as well:
Did you take your premed classes in undergrad? What were your grades in those? Is it worth retaking those classes? (most likely not) When you said your grades had an upward trend, does that apply to your undergrad years? I mean a significant upward trend per semester like...2.0 to 3.0 to 3.6...

I can confidently say the Georgetown SMP is not the program for you. The SMP wants students who are already qualified applicants but just need that little nudge to get them noticed. That MCAT/uGPA combo currently doesnt fulfill that "requirement". If you can raise your MCAT score and perhaps take upper level science courses to address your uGPA, then MAYBE the SMP might be the right program. But your $42,000 tuition is definitely better spent now improving your science grades and MCAT score.

But please remember, you're not the only one with low scores or a bad uGPA. Many of us, including myself, are dealing with the same problems. The solution requires commitment, time, and money.

hi everyone,

i am interested in applying to the georgetown SMP program for fall 2011. my app isnt strong enough for med school so i was hoping i could get into the SMP program and maybe afterwards have a better chance at med school.

my stats are 3.15 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA from UC Irvine. i also just got my first mcat score back and it was a 28S (10 bio, 10 verbal, 8 PS).

what are my chances of getting into georgetown SMP based off those stats alone? my ECs include:

-starting a health/volunteer organization (iMed at UCI for anyone familiar)
-for iMed, acted as director my founding year and then co-chair the year after (2 years total)
-volunteering 250+ hours at a hospital doing actual stuff involving patient care
-started a non-medical business my 2nd year in college and it's still running to this day, and profitable
-mulitple volunteering trips to orphanages as well as a free clinic in ayacucho peru.

thanks for any advice/tips.. hope this is enough. i'm very pressed for time and would like to avoid taking the mcat again but if i need to i think i can muster a 35+. i studied for only 4 weeks to get that 28 and i had to relearn all the physical sciences and some orgo :(

Does anyone have a link to the google group? Thusfar I have been unable to locate it. Thanks and see you in a couple days.

Its great that you got your PhD, however, I dont see it helping a great deal unless its related in some way to medicine/science. It certainly doesnt hurt though. Particularly when it's contrasted to your MCAT and uGPA.

Your MCAT is extremely low for MD schools. If you are an underrepresented minority (URM) you may be able get an interview with a score in the upper 20s. If you are an URM, you need to consider programs like Georgetown's GEM, where students have averaged a 23 MCAT in 2009.

Otherewise you absolutely must address your MCAT score. There is a high correlation between MCAT scores and success in medical school, i.e. Step 1 pass rates. Therefore its very important to at least fall in the average range, especially that special 10,10,10 score.

You could benefit from a Kaplan or Princeton Review prep course.

There are many other academic variables in your application as well:
Did you take your premed classes in undergrad? What were your grades in those? Is it worth retaking those classes? (most likely not) When you said your grades had an upward trend, does that apply to your undergrad years? I mean a significant upward trend per semester like...2.0 to 3.0 to 3.6...

I can confidently say the Georgetown SMP is not the program for you. The SMP wants students who are already qualified applicants but just need that little nudge to get them noticed. That MCAT/uGPA combo currently doesnt fulfill that "requirement". If you can raise your MCAT score and perhaps take upper level science courses to address your uGPA, then MAYBE the SMP might be the right program. But your $42,000 tuition is definitely better spent now improving your science grades and MCAT score.

But please remember, you're not the only one with low scores or a bad uGPA. Many of us, including myself, are dealing with the same problems. The solution requires commitment, time, and money.

Thank you LetGo of TheEgo you give great advise.
Regarding my trend in undergrad grades I started freshman year with a 2.2 and graduated with a 2.8. For my graduate courses, all upper level science my GPA is 3.6. I did take all the premed courses >10 years ago and there are schools that have a time limit. Retaking some courses? I have heard advise on both sides, one admin told me to take all of them again because my low MCAT scores were probably a reflection of my undergrad grades; another former admin told me that was not necessary given my Ph.D. Given all this information, I definitely think you are right on, I think what I will do is retake some courses that I think will help me in the MCAT, Orgo and Physics are my weakness and focus on retaking and increasing the MCAT score, I am definitely all about commitment and time....the money part, well...:cool: we all have to deal with that and I am willing to do what it takes as well. I am an URM so I will try to go for the GEMS program.

Thanks for the advise.
lovetolearn

hi everyone,

i am interested in applying to the georgetown SMP program for fall 2011. my app isnt strong enough for med school so i was hoping i could get into the SMP program and maybe afterwards have a better chance at med school.

my stats are 3.15 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA from UC Irvine. i also just got my first mcat score back and it was a 28S (10 bio, 10 verbal, 8 PS).

what are my chances of getting into georgetown SMP based off those stats alone? my ECs include:

-starting a health/volunteer organization (iMed at UCI for anyone familiar)
-for iMed, acted as director my founding year and then co-chair the year after (2 years total)
-volunteering 250+ hours at a hospital doing actual stuff involving patient care
-started a non-medical business my 2nd year in college and it's still running to this day, and profitable
-mulitple volunteering trips to orphanages as well as a free clinic in ayacucho peru.

thanks for any advice/tips.. hope this is enough. i'm very pressed for time and would like to avoid taking the mcat again but if i need to i think i can muster a 35+. i studied for only 4 weeks to get that 28 and i had to relearn all the physical sciences and some orgo :(
In my opinion improving your MCAT would be the best way. I had similar stats but amuch better MCAT

In my opinion improving your MCAT would be the best way. I had similar stats but amuch better MCAT

darn, i was really hoping my stats would be good enough... i'm gonna be starting a 12hr/day job in 4-5 weeks and might not have enough time to study for the mcats adequately. hrm...

Yeah, I had a slightly better GPA at UCSD and much better MCAT with extensive extracurriculars and feel like I barely got in. Most of my friends here have already had interviews before coming to the program so it's definitely a competitive class. If you want this program, I would say you need a 31 or above with 10's in each subsection, chances are slim with a 28, sorry, but it's true.

Yeah, I had a slightly better GPA at UCSD and much better MCAT with extensive extracurriculars and feel like I barely got in. Most of my friends here have already had interviews before coming to the program so it's definitely a competitive class. If you want this program, I would say you need a 31 or above with 10's in each subsection, chances are slim with a 28, sorry, but it's true.

thank you for your honesty, that's all i'm after anyway.

do you think if i applied with these current stats and inform them that i will be attempting to retake in april, they will keep that in mind? or would they disregard that, view my app the way it is, and just toss/waitlist me as necessary? i guess if i really need to then i will forgo my new job and improve my MCAT.

thank you for your honesty, that's all i'm after anyway.

do you think if i applied with these current stats and inform them that i will be attempting to retake in april, they will keep that in mind? or would they disregard that, view my app the way it is, and just toss/waitlist me as necessary? i guess if i really need to then i will forgo my new job and improve my MCAT.

Your goal is to get into med school, not the smp. Do not take the MCAT for a few points just to try to get into this thing. If you take the MCAT again, prepare well enough, and get a high enough score to make you competitive for med school admission.

If you are set on Gtown smp, I would app with your current profile and make some contact with any of the directors. This is because the best bet for getting into med school would be re-taking the MCAT after the smp year; thus, you should see if you have any shot to get in with your current app.

With good EC's, letters, etc. you may have a shot at the smp. I knew plenty of people last year with MCAT scores in the 28-30 range. The avg MCAT may be 32ish, but the SD is probably 3. If you show some interest, I doubt they'll reject you. And they are always accepting off the waitlist up until orientation, and will consider new MCATs if you decide to take that route.

The bottom line: act like you are applying to med school, not an smp (the mcat should only be taken once, stop half-a55ing it).