Georgetown GEMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OmoNaijj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
This space is to keep track of the application timeline! Please feel free to post if you're applying for GEMS this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to a couple masters programs at Tulane, the GCATS program and I think I might apply to the HSI program at Hopkins. How about you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I'm applying to Drexel's DPMS and OSU's MEDPATH

Also applying! Keeping fingers crossed it works out -- I unfortunately do not have too many options left :/

Don't get discouraged. I know you're not the only person that feels that! Good luck :)

Also applying! Keeping fingers crossed it works out -- I unfortunately do not have too many options left :/
Hey, You're not alone. What other programs are you applying to?

Has anyone submitted their application yet?

Tell me about it! But idk what's worse...working on the essays or anxiously waiting to hear back

This forum is so quiet! Anybody out there get an interview invite? The website says they started calling people on 3/4

Members don't see this ad :)
Still working on my application. I just realized they don't accept committee letters so I have to get my professor to send it directly. Its been like 3 years *sigh*

So do we need to send in transcripts since we did the AMCAS? And good luck to everyone!

So do we need to send in transcripts since we did the AMCAS? And good luck to everyone!

I think you only need a transcript if you took classes after your AMCAS was verified. Good luck to you too!

Hey! does anyone have a contact number for the GEMS office?

Hey! does anyone have a contact number for the GEMS office?

Nope sorry! I looked for one too but based on previous forums I think they removed their number to prevent people from calling to ask about their applications

This forum is so quiet! Anybody out there get an interview invite? The website says they started calling people on 3/4

I do not think they have started sending out interview invite since it is not rolling admission and the deadline is march 31. I turned my app in late January, also applied to Hopkins and Cornell

I do not think they have started sending out interview invite since it is not rolling admission and the deadline is march 31. I turned my app in late January, also applied to Hopkins and Cornell

did you receive a complete email?

Yea that's what I was thinking too. Then I emailed them to clarify if they were going to give out interview invites before the application closed and they basically said yes because the first interview is scheduled for April 4th. So I'm kinda confused! I submitted my app at the end of February

Also applied. GL everyone. BTW, did anyone get interview invites yet?

Nothing here! When did you submit your app?

February 25th, I believe. The website said earliest interview date is April 4th, so I was wondering if anyone received any updates. I'm assuming they don't actually start reviewing apps until the March 30th deadline

February 25th, I believe. The website said earliest interview date is April 4th, so I was wondering if anyone received any updates. I'm assuming they don't actually start reviewing apps until the March 30th deadline

I was wondering the same thing. I submitted everything but I got an email yesterday saying that I should double check with my recommenders that they submitted their letters. Did you get an email like that?

I was wondering the same thing. I submitted everything but I got an email yesterday saying that I should double check with my recommenders that they submitted their letters. Did you get an email like that?

I got that email.
Did you guys send in your official transcripts?

I got that email.
Got that email as well. But my recommenders already submitted their letters and my app says "complete" so I wouldn't worry. And no, I did not send in official transcript because everything was uploaded via AMCAS.

I got that email.

Yea I did send transcripts since I finished Biochem after my AMCAS was submitted. But I verified with them a couple weeks ago that my transcripts were received so I'm assuming they just send that email to everyone applying

I haven't heard back from the school i interviewed at a while ago... kind of nervous. the app is closing soon and I want to put together this application. any thoughts? suggestions?

I haven't heard back from the school i interviewed at a while ago... kind of nervous. the app is closing soon and I want to put together this application. any thoughts? suggestions?
Hey Medgal,
You can definitely do it. Just start working on the application ASAP, a lot of the responses would be elaborations from your personal statements and secondaries.
One thing to know is that recommendation letters (maximum of 2) MUST come directly from a professor (no one else) from a .edu address and a school letterhead.
I found out the hard way because I thought I could use my school committee letter.
Keep us updated.
Good luck!

I agree with Omonaijj. You can definitely get it done before the deadline! There are a bunch of essays but they are probably similar to other applications you've done if you applied to other programs/schools. I would look at the average GPA and MCAT scores from previous years. After looking at threads from previous years it doesn't look like they tend to accept people with stats too high above those averages. Good luck!

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from other programs/med schools?

I agree with Omonaijj. You can definitely get it done before the deadline! There are a bunch of essays but they are probably similar to other applications you've done if you applied to other programs/schools. I would look at the average GPA and MCAT scores from previous years. After looking at threads from previous years it doesn't look like they tend to accept people with stats too high above those averages. Good luck!

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from other programs/med schools?

I have kind of given up on the medical schools I was waiting to hear back from. Lol. I applied to a couple othe postbaccs/masters though! How about you?

I have kind of given up on the medical schools I was waiting to hear back from. Lol. I applied to a couple othe postbaccs/masters though! How about you?

I applied to 3 other post-baccs but GEMS is the only program I'm still waiting to hear from! And it's my top choice so that makes the waiting period feel that much longer lol

Hey guys I'm joining this thread as well! I just found out about this and I have about 5 days left, how do we send in letters of rec if we can't use interfolio? do we ask our teachers again? Thanks!

Hey guys I'm joining this thread as well! I just found out about this and I have about 5 days left, how do we send in letters of rec if we can't use interfolio? do we ask our teachers again? Thanks!
You write down your professors' email address on the recommender section (must be from .edu and who taught you in a science lecture based course) and they will automatically send a rec letter request to your professor. Then your professor submits his/her letter according to the instruction given by the app.

Sorry last question, are the transcripts taken from your AMCAS application? thanks in advance!

Sorry last question, are the transcripts taken from your AMCAS application? thanks in advance!

Yup they use your AMCAS for your grades...unless you completed a class after your AMCAS was submitted.

Hi everyone, I know I am a bit late but, I am a current M1 at Georgetown and I actually got admitted through the GEMS program. I just wanted to let you all know that I am available to answer any questions you may have about the program, Georgetown, or DC in general.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I know I am a bit late but, I am a current M1 at Georgetown and I actually got admitted through the GEMS program. I just wanted to let you all know that I am available to answer any questions you may have about the program, Georgetown, or DC in general.

Thanks for making yourself available for questions! You're living the dream lol. What did you think about the GEMS program? What was your experience like?

I was also wondering with the first interview date being next Monday do you think we can expect to hear anything before then?

Thanks for making yourself available for questions! You're living the dream lol. What did you think about the GEMS program? What was your experience like?

I was also wondering with the first interview date being next Monday do you think we can expect to hear anything before then?
Not a problem I definitely remember being in your shoes and checking SDN religiously lol. I thought the GEMS program was phenomenal. It helped me learn who I was as a student and gave me the time to figure out what academic adjustments I needed to make in order to be successful. What I specifically mean is I learned that I was not a very good test taker. I learned strategies which I could apply to exams. I also learned what my study style was. Auditory, visual or both and group study versus independently studying. I'm also going to be very honest, the program is tough. You will be taking medical school classes and they are rigorously paced but if you figure out what works for you early on you will be successful. Also the program builds your confidence as a student so when you leave the program you will fill confident that you can handle a medical school curriculum. Also I'm not too sure about when I heard for interviews. Are you local or out of the area?

Reactions: 1 user
Not a problem I definitely remember being in your shoes and checking SDN religiously lol. I thought the GEMS program was phenomenal. It helped me learn who I was as a student and gave me the time to figure out what academic adjustments I needed to make in order to be successful. What I specifically mean is I learned that I was not a very good test taker. I learned strategies which I could apply to exams. I also learned what my study style was. Auditory, visual or both and group study versus independently studying. I'm also going to be very honest, the program is tough. You will be taking medical school classes and they are rigorously paced but if you figure out what works for you early on you will be successful. Also the program builds your confidence as a student so when you leave the program you will fill confident that you can handle a medical school curriculum. Also I'm not too sure about when I heard for interviews. Are you local or out of the area?

That's awesome! Basically everything you said is why I think this program would be a really great opportunity. But I know it won't be easy! I live in Louisiana. Thanks again for your insight :)

That's awesome! Basically everything you said is why I think this program would be a really great opportunity. But I know it won't be easy! I live in Louisiana. Thanks again for your insight :)

No Problem. I am wondering, if the interview day is really next monday. The application hasn't closed yet and they still need to review all applications and because they get some many applications they need that time to review them all because they don't do rolling admissions. In short, you still have time.

Hi! Thank you for coming into SDN to give us insights. Are there students who did GEMS and matriculate into Georgetown SOM who don't have to take the first year classes that they already took? I'm curious how many students actually get "permission" to not repeat those classes, and what is like the required grade you have to get? And up to how many classes are they exempted from? So is it possible for GEMS students who do well actually start as second year medical students? Thanks and congratulations!

Hi! Thank you for coming into SDN to give us insights. Are there students who did GEMS and matriculate into Georgetown SOM who don't have to take the first year classes that they already took? I'm curious how many students actually get "permission" to not repeat those classes, and what is like the required grade you have to get? And up to how many classes are they exempted from? So is it possible for GEMS students who do well actually start as second year medical students? Thanks and congratulations!
Yes you can get exempted from taking the classes that were taken in the GEMS year. Most students do. I'm not sure of the required grade but I assume if it was good enough for you to matriculate in the medical school it has to be good enough for an exemption. There 3 course that you can be exempted from. What do you mean by "start second year"?

Yes you can get exempted from taking the classes that were taken in the GEMS year. Most students do. I'm not sure of the required grade but I assume if it was good enough for you to matriculate in the medical school it has to be good enough for an exemption. There 3 course that you can be exempted from. What do you mean by "start second year"?
Well I guess I'm just ignorant bc I'm not in med school yet, so I assumed that if you get exempted of your first year med school classes, you "move up" a year. haha. I guess if you get exemption of up to 3 classes, you have to either fill them up with electives, or you just have less burden in your first year than your peers?

Well I guess I'm just ignorant bc I'm not in med school yet, so I assumed that if you get exempted of your first year med school classes, you "move up" a year. haha. I guess if you get exemption of up to 3 classes, you have to either fill them up with electives, or you just have less burden in your first year than your peers?
I wasn't sure what you were asking. Now I do lol. You have less of a burden in your first year when you are exempted. For instance, I used that time to shadow.

No Problem. I am wondering, if the interview day is really next monday. The application hasn't closed yet and they still need to review all applications and because they get some many applications they need that time to review them all because they don't do rolling admissions. In short, you still have time.

It looks like you were right! I just went to their website and it looks like they took away the April 4th interview date.