Georgetown GEMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has everyone heard from GEMS yet that interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got rejected :/

Congrats to those that were accepted

Last edited:
Nope. Wasn't it supposed to be sent yesterday?
I was told I would receive an email a day later (i.e. May 31st) but I have not received anything yet. Need to decide between this and one other asap, so if anyone receives an email anytime soon, let me know!

A few more weeks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Man apartments in georgetown are like $1.5k minimum, i guess this is why you room with someone.

I found a townhouse (5 bedrooms/3 bathroom) that is like 12 mins (by walk) away from School of Medicine and it costs around $1050 each (excluding utilities). I am in need of 4 more housemates. Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone who was accepted to GEMS!!!
I'm interested in sharing a house walking distance to Georgetown U.

Riverman, I will text you tomorrow to find out more details about the house you have found. Thanks!

Found a townhouse on R st. 6 bed, 2.5 bed, $5900 per month. I timed it and its about an 8 minute walk to school. It's being fixed up/ renovated and has three beds upstairs and three beds downstairs. Really looking to stay at this place, but would need 5 more people...

really would like to apply next year. I'm just inquiring so I will be well prepared

Hello potential GEMS, I completed the GEMS program in 2014 and did not get fully accepted into the MD program. I feel compelled to share my experience and offer my insight. I'm sure you all have talked to current GEMS and former GEMS who are at Georgetown and beyond. But, I want to provide you with an opportunity to hear from someone who completed the program and is no longer under the shadow of Georgetown. I wish I had this opportunity summer of 2013. If anyone has specific questions about the program please feel free to ask me on here. I will try my best to answer. If anyone is not comfortable asking questions on here but has burning questions or is seriously contemplating going through with the program, you can speak to me personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello potential GEMS, I completed the GEMS program in 2014 and did not get fully accepted into the MD program. I feel compelled to share my experience and offer my insight. I'm sure you all have talked to current GEMS and former GEMS who are at Georgetown and beyond. But, I want to provide you with an opportunity to hear from someone who completed the program and is no longer under the shadow of Georgetown. I wish I had this opportunity summer of 2013. If anyone has specific questions about the program please feel free to ask me on here. I will try my best to answer. If anyone is not comfortable asking questions on here but has burning questions or is seriously contemplating going through with the program, you can speak to me personally.
Why didn't you get into Georgetown? What do you mean by "fully accepted?" Did you go to another medical school? What do you do now? Why did you until 11 days before we start to post this ominous cautionary tale sounding message?!

Hey Guys,

So, I've been responding to some direct messages with similar questions. Below are some answers I’ve provided

General Advice?
Make sure that while you are in the program you don't compromise or sacrifice anything that you will regret after the program. The program is very demanding. It's not like normal school. It can be stressful and feel unnatural. So make sure you remember that your health is more important than any career. I say this because there were a few people who fell ill during my year. The program kind of has a way of making you feel like the acceptance into the MD program is the only thing that matters in life and they Will hold it over your head All year. It’s easy to develop unhealthy habits diet, exercise, stress, etc. Also general advice; make sure you need the program because it’s a big investment of both time and money.

Living?
You might want to live by yourself. There is often conflict and tension between members of the group. People who lived together frequently had problems that inevitably spilled over to the classroom and to Dean Taylor and everyone else. It’s a very high stress, high tension, and high pressure year.

Pros/Cons?
Pro: The friends you make, the knowledge you leave/stay with.
Cons: The cost, the uncertainty, It’s like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Why I didn't get in?
It was not because of my academic performance, I did well. I don’t want to get into detail, but I think there were 27 of us at first and maybe, maybe 15 or 16 are still there, 2 repeated the following year. Not getting in is a real possibility. The end of the year can be hard for this reason.

What I do now?
I work in a related field. I am no longer perusing medical school.

Why didn't you get into Georgetown? What do you mean by "fully accepted?" Did you go to another medical school? What do you do now? Why did you until 11 days before we start to post this ominous cautionary tale sounding message?!
Jearb1234- Wish I would of though about it earlier.

Hi everyone, I know I am a bit late but, I am a current M1 at Georgetown and I actually got admitted through the GEMS program. I just wanted to let you all know that I am available to answer any questions you may have about the program, Georgetown, or DC in general.
do u mind sharing your stats

Hey Guys,

So, I've been responding to some direct messages with similar questions. Below are some answers I’ve provided

General Advice?
Make sure that while you are in the program you don't compromise or sacrifice anything that you will regret after the program. The program is very demanding. It's not like normal school. It can be stressful and feel unnatural. So make sure you remember that your health is more important than any career. I say this because there were a few people who fell ill during my year. The program kind of has a way of making you feel like the acceptance into the MD program is the only thing that matters in life and they Will hold it over your head All year. It’s easy to develop unhealthy habits diet, exercise, stress, etc. Also general advice; make sure you need the program because it’s a big investment of both time and money.

Living?
You might want to live by yourself. There is often conflict and tension between members of the group. People who lived together frequently had problems that inevitably spilled over to the classroom and to Dean Taylor and everyone else. It’s a very high stress, high tension, and high pressure year.

Pros/Cons?
Pro: The friends you make, the knowledge you leave/stay with.
Cons: The cost, the uncertainty, It’s like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Why I didn't get in?
It was not because of my academic performance, I did well. I don’t want to get into detail, but I think there were 27 of us at first and maybe, maybe 15 or 16 are still there, 2 repeated the following year. Not getting in is a real possibility. The end of the year can be hard for this reason.

What I do now?
I work in a related field. I am no longer perusing medical school.

I'm currently interested. Did you just not apply at all to med school?

Hey everyone, current M3 and former GEMS class of 2015. I'm here to answer any questions about the program as well.
Just to get some info out about myself, I didnt have th greatest stats to get into med school to begin with. (24 on the MCAT then with 3.26 Sci GPA). I do agree with what was said before that this is a rigorous program and you have to take it serious if you plan on applying. It's definitely not like regular med school. It has a more strict time commitment. As far as holding admission into an MD program over your head, I like to call that a reminder of why you applied in the first place. Most of us have a goal of becoming a physician when we apply to GEMS and at times when the program can seem overwhelming it's nice to be reminded of why you chose to do this in the first place. However, life is dynamic and maybe there is a possibility that you may not want to continue the path to becoming a physician and consider other options.

In my experience, the program is top notch. It builds your confidence as a student, enhances studying and test taking skills, and you do build lasting friendships. What I appreciated the most was you are not a number and you are not alone in this program. You have mentorship, the help of the dean and colloboration among classmates if you need it.

As far as wellness, I would consider that to be a necessity if you plan to be successful. However, my recommendation is not to go overboard and do everything that you consider to be apart of wellness. Pick one and continue it through out the program. You really won't have time to have your Pre-GEMS life during the program. Think of it as a temporary sacrafice. After the program you can dial it up if you like.

Lastly, you won't feel like the same person who came into the program when you finish. You will be a maturer, confident student, who will be able to handle th rigor of medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, current M3 and former GEMS class of 2015. I'm here to answer any questions about the program as well.
Just to get some info out about myself, I didnt have th greatest stats to get into med school to begin with. (24 on the MCAT then with 3.26 Sci GPA). I do agree with what was said before that this is a rigorous program and you have to take it serious if you plan on applying. It's definitely not like regular med school. It has a more strict time commitment. As far as holding admission into an MD program over your head, I like to call that a reminder of why you applied in the first place. Most of us have a goal of becoming a physician when we apply to GEMS and at times when the program can seem overwhelming it's nice to be reminded of why you chose to do this in the first place. However, life is dynamic and maybe there is a possibility that you may not want to continue the path to becoming a physician and consider other options.

In my experience, the program is top notch. It builds your confidence as a student, enhances studying and test taking skills, and you do build lasting friendships. What I appreciated the most was you are not a number and you are not alone in this program. You have mentorship, the help of the dean and colloboration among classmates if you need it.

As far as wellness, I would consider that to be a necessity if you plan to be successful. However, my recommendation is not to go overboard and do everything that you consider to be apart of wellness. Pick one and continue it through out the program. You really won't have time to have your Pre-GEMS life during the program. Think of it as a temporary sacrafice. After the program you can dial it up if you like.

Lastly, you won't feel like the same person who came into the program when you finish. You will be a maturer, confident student, who will be able to handle th rigor of medical school.

In order to apply to the GEMS program, you have to go through the AAMCs, correct? Wouldn't that classify you as a applying to medical school and ultimately hurt your chances of applying to medical school after you complete your GEMS program (because you will be considered as applying to medical school twice)? I am just really confused as to why Georgetown would have you apply through AAMC website

In order to apply to the GEMS program, you have to go through the AAMCs, correct? Wouldn't that classify you as a applying to medical school and ultimately hurt your chances of applying to medical school after you complete your GEMS program (because you will be considered as applying to medical school twice)? I am just really confused as to why Georgetown would have you apply through AAMC website

To apply to the GEMS program you need to have applied through the AAMC to at least one medical school. From an admission stand point that is one of the ways they gauge whether or not you actually need the assistance of the program.

Multiple applications and chances of getting into medical school. it doesn't hurt you unless you haven't made an improvement or you worsen your preformance.

Reactions: 1 user
To apply to the GEMS program you need to have applied through the AAMC to at least one medical school. From an admission stand point that is one of the ways they gauge whether or not you actually need the assistance of the program.

Multiple applications and chances of getting into medical school. it doesn't hurt you unless you haven't made an improvement or you worsen your preformance.

Hi, so I know you mentioned that you are from Miami. Did you participate in any of UM's diversity summer programs, such as the Motivation or MCAT program? I am asking because I just completed the MCAT program there.

Hi, so I know you mentioned that you are from Miami. Did you participate in any of UM's diversity summer programs, such as the Motivation or MCAT program? I am asking because I just completed the MCAT program there.
I did not. GEMS and a prep course were my preparations for MCAT and it has largely changed since I last took it 4 years ago.

Hi, do you guys think I can get in this program with a 3.53 cGPA, MCAT 495, a little over 100 hrs of volunteering and 40 hrs of shadowing (+ double bachelor degree in biology and psychology)? Btw I am an immigrant and have only been here for 7 years - trying to & failing at justifying less ECs lol. I have applied to both MD & DO schools, but with these stats I don't know if I should even wait to hear from them or apply to GEMs? I really want to get into med school..