George Washington University School of Medicine Class of 2009!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday, and GWU was my first choice, so I'll see all of you in August.

Do people know when they're planning to move? I live in Nevada, and it's the first time I've moved cross-country, so my fiancee and I are wondering how early we should move and when we should look for apartments (i.e., separate trip, or drive out and stay with a friend and look once we're there). Any advice from people who've done this before would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be coming to GW as well, I was just accepted this morning,
I am really excited to meet everyone!!! :):)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am from around the DC area (maryland side) so feel free to ask me questions about the area

I am really excited.. :):):)

any advice on looking for housing, near GW preferably?

Members don't see this ad :)
WaitCommiserate said:
any advice on looking for housing, near GW preferably?

aah so much to do. where to live..when to move...can't wait to meet ya'll.

Our class is expanding YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

A HEARTFELT WELCOME you all! Lets plan to have a party in DC....WHO'S IN???

gdubb said:

YAY GDUBB! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! BEST WISHES. HAVE A GREAT CELEBRATORY WEEKEND! YOU DESERVE IT!

gdubb said:

I'm in too!! Definitely going here, no question!! Dropped all my other waitlist spots weeks ago, and can't wait to tear it up in the Fall!! :D :D :D :D :

Is anyone else as glad as I am that this process is OVER?!

did i hear party? im there.

HPSP came through, so I am starting GW this fall! I have been in the Air Force a LONG time, so if anyone has questions- I am happy to offer my perspective. Congrats to all that have been accepted off the waitlist... I look forward to meeting everyone!
~M

gm4 said:
YAY GDUBB! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! BEST WISHES. HAVE A GREAT CELEBRATORY WEEKEND! YOU DESERVE IT!

thanks gm4!!! i definitely told EVERYONE in the bar that i had just gotten into medical school and was going to gw.
NOTE: this is a very good way to get free drinks. :thumbup:

whoooooohooooooooooo ready to party in foggy bottom with my (and I can say this now) CLASSMATES!!! :hardy: :hardy: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! i'll be joining you in the fall as well. sooooo excited! i'm actually from northern virginia...so i'm just going to commute from home. after being away at college, it's nice to be back near dc. this place rocks!!! can't wait to meet you guys!!! DEFINITELY got to have that party!

Does anybody know if GW has any recommendations for buying a laptop. My computer just died after four years, so I guess I'm in the market for a new one. I would really like to get a Mac G4 powerbook. What do you guys think, good idea or bad idea?

Pura Vida said:
Does anybody know if GW has any recommendations for buying a laptop. My computer just died after four years, so I guess I'm in the market for a new one. I would really like to get a Mac G4 powerbook. What do you guys think, good idea or bad idea?

There's no specific recommendation. Students have all kinds of computers and laptops. I'm actually in the market for one myself so if you see any good deals, feel free to post'em :)

Make sure to get one that you can watch videos on (although I'm not talking high quality DVD here... just basic video), so nothing super duper slow. There is also wireless internet available on all floors of Himmelfarb and for you guys next year, rm 117 and rm 201... your main lecture halls. With that said, there's a bzillion computers in the library and hardly anyone types up their notes while in lecture (although a few tech saavy people do), and it is kind of annoying to hear click click click while in lecture anyways.

Keep an eye out for the first orientation mailing. I know it went out last week. Also, your class web site should be up pretty soon with lots of information!

I hope you're all excited. If you have any questions feel free to post questions here and I'll try to answer them (and the advantage is I don't BS... if I don't know the answer I'll ask). The reason I say this is because I've seen some fiction on this board already so just be VERY careful what you read from people who haven't been attending GWmed.

Thanks for all the advice Fred!!!

Pura Vida said:
Thanks for all the advice Fred!!!
Fred as always great advice.
Pura Vida, I am now an MS-2 at GW and I have a PowerBook G4. I love my laptop, however, there are some programs that may not work on your laptop. Right now with the new Tiger OS, the VPN that is used by Himmelfarb library is not compatible. I was running the Jaguar OS so that wasn't a problem until I upgraded last month. In the first semester, there are some anatomy programs like Netters that did not work and I also bought a Mac version of HistoTime (very valuable for looking at histo slides) You can view the online anatomy websites that GW recommends no problem.
I loved my laptop for viewing powerpoint slides for histo, physiology, immunology. But again you don't have to get a Mac to see powerpoint slides. But I love my Mac (and I have a PC at home) so I can live with some of the incompatibilities. I know that Apple gives educational discounts to students, so if you are still interested in buying a PowerBook, wait until you enroll and get the student discount.

Adrian

thanks fred and idpharm :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

still looking for advice...

what do ya'll think about cell phones? Should we get cell phones with DC area codes?

my parents want to buy a condo or townhouse in foggy bottom, anyone know some good resources?

I would get a DC area code phone if i get off the waitlist. I think 4 years is long enough to change it. And a condo or townhouse in Foggy Bottom would be awesome. A great place for you to live, and probably a good investment for your parents.

I was trying to figure out the whole cell phone thing. My parents don't want me to change it because I can call home for free and I'm still on their plan (why I don't want to change it because I don't pay for it..haha). I think I have to find a new bank. Lots to do..aaahhh.....and I just heard we had to get shots :eek: :eek:
oh and we have to plan our party... :D let's not forget the important things! :hardy:

WaitCommiserate said:
Hi everyone,

still looking for advice...

what do ya'll think about cell phones? Should we get cell phones with DC area codes?

my parents want to buy a condo or townhouse in foggy bottom, anyone know some good resources?

If you have a national plan or roam free plan I wouldn't change your cell phone. The drawback is that DC people will have to call long distance. If you travel the Metro(subway) and want to talk while on the Metro, you need to get Verizon b/c they are the exclusive Metro carrier in the tunnels.

Can't help you with condo in DC, I live in Alexandria, VA...sorry.

thats good news, because i have verizon. i had a state-wide plan, and i went to the store to ask them what i should do, and they informed me that now they only have national plans, so i upgraded (which actually now costs me less), and kept my same number. i figured this was easier, and most everyone uses a cell phone anyways these days, so most people wont even think twice about calling a diff. area code.

soooooooooo. when is everybody movin on up to dc?
anybody already there?
i was thinking first of august. we need to start plannin our foggy bottom party!

computers, cell phones, apartments, oh my! :p

hmm, looks like verizon isn't that good in the library...maybe that is a good thing.....so what is everyone getting?

WaitCommiserate said:
hmm, looks like verizon isn't that good in the library...maybe that is a good thing.....so what is everyone getting?

haha i'm too busy checking out houses to worry about cell phones just yet..

thanks fred!!!

The Class of 2009 Orientation Committee would like to congratulate you on your acceptance to the GWU School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Please note that the Class of 2009 website is now operational. You can access the site at the following address:

http://www.gwu.edu/~med09/

The website provides information on the upcoming orientation, scheduled to begin on Thursday, August 18, 2005. You will also find weekly housing newsletters that contain available housing and roommate postings. If you would like to submit a posting, please refer to the Housing page on the website for instructions.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding orientation, please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected]. Enjoy your summer!

we've been moved to allo :eek:

i went to GW the last 2 years and if anyone is looking for housing the best place is call the jefferson house condos, its literally across teh street from the classroom. it was super handy the first 2 years and i am so glad i lived there esp. if you are a class person, or before tests you can get up abotu 5 misn before class. its a bit more pricey but well worth it.

Hi GWers. I found this and thought people might enjoy. When I went for my interview I looked in the bookstore for some GW Med clothes, but they didn't have anything good. This looks more promising, and I think it gets updated often. :thumbup: http://www.cafeshops.com/gwmed007

GDubMD2B said:
Hi GWers. I found this and thought people might enjoy. When I went for my interview I looked in the bookstore for some GW Med clothes, but they didn't have anything good. This looks more promising, and I think it gets updated often. :thumbup: http://www.cafeshops.com/gwmed007

did ya'll see the thongs? md2b. p=md and study this. that is too funny

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gdubb said:
did ya'll see the thongs? md2b. p=md and study this. that is too funny

Yeah, what's up with that?! They are only offered in the women's section! Such discrimination!

has anyone found housing yet? Geez, I am still waiting for my financial aid package to figure out what my budget is....... Foggy bottom ,arlington, any ideas????

eralza said:
Yeah, what's up with that?! They are only offered in the women's section! Such discrimination!

eralza you should write up a formal complaint.

waitc--no housing, still waiting on finaid

I haven't found a place to live yet, but I'm sure that I will be living in Foggy Bottom next year once I can find a place. I have spoken to a number of current med students at GW and they have all told me that the extra price you pay to live in that area is offset by the fact that you can walk to school. That's a huge consideration for me

Also something to consider is that even if you save a $100 in rent by living further out, you will lose that money by paying to ride the metro everyday. This is just my opinion, but I for one will be living in Foggy Bottom.

Pura Vida said:
I haven't found a place to live yet, but I'm sure that I will be living in Foggy Bottom next year once I can find a place. I have spoken to a number of current med students at GW and they have all told me that the extra price you pay to live in that area is offset by the fact that you can walk to school. That's a huge consideration for me

Also something to consider is that even if you save a $100 in rent by living further out, you will lose that money by paying to ride the metro everyday. This is just my opinion, but I for one will be living in Foggy Bottom.

i agree. i'm planning on staying in foggy bottom close to the school. during my interview the students said it was so nice to have a 5 min walk to school and they even had time to walk home for lunch. now...if i can just find a place in foggy bottom.

bump!! Housing sux arse.......has anyone received their financial aid package? Just curious, if our parents don't make low enough to get free money, are there enough loans to cover an 11-1200 a month apt in foggy bottom? sheeshkabob......so much to worry about... :D :D

WaitCommiserate said:

I know this is an old post- but I also wanted to mention that verizon works in the subway!

Hey you posers -

We have a room for rent - I think I posted this already so sorry to be redundant - $800 for your own bed/bath in Arlington - we walk to the metro stop every day and it's 7 minutes from our house - sometimes my roommate even drives so we'll take you along with us - if you're good.
Seriously, we're 2 second years at GW and want another med student to fill our empty lives, I mean, bedroom. We're the funnest people you'll ever meet, really. Ask Freddy. And we're neat.
:)

hey fellow GW'ers ... i have been following this thread for a little while, and wanted to say whats up ... I am from the DC area and am really excited and feel fortunate to be heading to GW in August....

lets go colonials!

... does anyone know if there are student passes for metro? or do u just have to buy the regular fare cards? thanks.

They're the greatest ever! ever ever? ever ever!!!
Fred
PS. should check http://gwu.thefacebook.com/
So we can get familiar with who you are. It's a good way of meeting some people before you get to school.

Brickhouse said:
Hey you posers -

We have a room for rent - I think I posted this already so sorry to be redundant - $800 for your own bed/bath in Arlington - we walk to the metro stop every day and it's 7 minutes from our house - sometimes my roommate even drives so we'll take you along with us - if you're good.
Seriously, we're 2 second years at GW and want another med student to fill our empty lives, I mean, bedroom. We're the funnest people you'll ever meet, really. Ask Freddy. And we're neat.
:)

welcome dr. 20037 :D

sooo, has anyone found housing yet? i just made reservations for july 5th to go up and look
only two more months til our foggy bottom party..wooohooo :hardy:

hello...anybody home? :p

Hi Guys and Gals of 09,

I just want to take an unofficial survey. Members of the class of 08 in the Integrative Medicine Interest Group are putting on a Seminar/Experiential Series for topics in complementary and alternative medicine.

2 questions for ya... 1) What topics would you be interested in learning about? 2) Would anyone be interested in taking on a leadership role in helping plan one of the topics?

I hope you're all enjoying your summer!