George Washington University School of Medicine Class of 2009!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GW2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me next year? I am so excited!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

GW2009 said:
Who will be joining me next year? I am so excited!! :D[/QUOTE

hmmm...where is everyone else?
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I will keep my fingers crossed for ya! Good luck!

I'll be there!

I'll be there!!! Can't wait to meet my new classmates :) Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!!!

bqj when did you interview and when did you hear from GW

tell 'em to let me off the waitlist and i'm there. congratulations to those already accepted. save me a seat! ;)

I will be there in August. Anybody doing anything exciting before starting?

Im another waitlister that would definitely be there if accepted. Was really thinking maybe UNC, being in state, but after having that blow up in my face last week I am full speed ahead for GW. Its not a tough place to get excited about in my opinion. I work with some people that went to Gtown and GW and all swear that there is no better place than DC to go to school. Now if these cream of the crop multi acceptance holders would only make up their minds after the months they've had to think it over, many of us could start making some real plans. I am sure others feel the same way.

Mac

mac11cron said:
Im another waitlister that would definitely be there if accepted. Was really thinking maybe UNC, being in state, but after having that blow up in my face last week I am full speed ahead for GW. Its not a tough place to get excited about in my opinion. I work with some people that went to Gtown and GW and all swear that there is no better place than DC to go to school. Now if these cream of the crop multi acceptance holders would only make up their minds after the months they've had to think it over, many of us could start making some real plans. I am sure others feel the same way.

Mac

that's funny you were thinking unc. yeah i was too-i'm also instate. called them last week and they told me i was waitlisted and then sent me a rejection letter 3 days later. no :love: from my undergrad institution i guess. i'm really excited about gwu and dc. absolutely loved it during my interview. pleasseeeee let me in. good luck ya'll :luck:

easye said:
bqj when did you interview and when did you hear from GW

I interviewed Oct 21 and heard back Dec 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be there! ... either this year or next. I am waiting to see if I get picked up for an AF scholarship. If so, I will start this fall; if not, I will ask to defer a year- I will find out in two or three weeks (the scholarship board meets tomorrow). GW was definitely my first choice and I am very excited to know where I will be going to school (if not when). Good luck to everyone on the waitlists :luck:

I will be there in August. Where is everyone planning on living next year?

I hate waiting! I should know in less than 2 weeks. My husband and I bought a 1 br condo between Dupont and GW... pricey, but we hope to get our money out of it in 4 years. Fortunately my husband is working while I am in school. I love the idea of walking to class!!!

GW is one of my top choices. I was wondering what you all liked about it and where else you applied if you don't mind sharing.

Well after lots of deliberation I finally withdrew my other acceptances, so it looks like you can add me to the list of people who will be going to GW next year.

What do you guys think you'll do for housing, live with a roomate or live alone? I think living somewhere within DC proper would be ideal, but my budget may force me to live in Northern Virginia.

Also, have any of you started to look for a place to live? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for buildings to look at. It could be really nice to live in a building where other GW med students live.

Hey you all,

Just wanted to revive this post..good to see this going! I will also be joining the class this august..can't wait!

chika

Hi Guys and Gals,
I just wanted to say a warm welcome from the class of 2008! We look forward to your arrival in August and you'll have a blast at orientation.
Best of luck to those on the waitlist! Feel free to email if you have questions.
Fred

I'm in!
Save me a seat at the party!

eralza said:
I'm in!
Save me a seat at the party!

congrats eralza! :thumbup:
was it a phone call or a letter?
details please... :D

gdubb said:
congrats eralza! :thumbup:
was it a phone call or a letter?
details please... :D
It was a scary, cryptic email that had me a bit scared at first. I think it simply said, "...please call Ms. Palladino...." No indication of whether it was a rejection, and acceptance, or an extension of the limbo of the waitlist. I think next week will be very good for many.
Best of luck! :thumbup:

eralza said:
It was a scary, cryptic email that had me a bit scared at first. I think it simply said, "...please call Ms. Palladino...." No indication of whether it was a rejection, and acceptance, or an extension of the limbo of the waitlist. I think next week will be very good for many.

thanks for the info eralza!! :)
so i guess i'll be obsessively checking my email for the next few weeks.
like i don't do that already
gw....show me some :love:

eralza said:

Hey Eralza, Congrats!!! When did you get that e-mail?

Just got my acceptance call today...cant wait! :D

Hey everyone! Just got my acceptance call today as well. Very excited to be joining you all at GW in August.

Not sure where i'm gonna live yet. My fiancee and I are looking at apartments. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm just happy to finally know where I'll be headed for the next 4 years.

Alan

alrobmac said:
Hey everyone! Just got my acceptance call today as well. Very excited to be joining you all at GW in August.

Not sure where i'm gonna live yet. My fiancee and I are looking at apartments. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm just happy to finally know where I'll be headed for the next 4 years.

Alan

:clap: congrats alan!!! :clap:

Hey Alan, CONGRATS AND WELCOME!!!

Eralza, good to see you..i think you didn't get a call since they didn't wanna call you in Germany!!! :laugh:

ruchika

what time in the day did GW call you guys for your acceptance?

Thanks guys! Same to you! Looking forward to meeting you in August.

Wait: Someone from admissions called me around 1pm EST on Monday. Hope that helps. Good luck!

So has anyone received their financial aid packet yet? I submitted my info a while back and still haven't heard anything from them.

I mailed them all the stuff a few weeks ago and i havent heard anything as well. i think i may call them tommorow.

Hate to be such a pisser, but how are you all paying for the ginormous tuition? And which lenders did you guys file your MPN with? I'm trying to figure out which is the best, but so far, going nowhere. Am confused by all the terminology, and going to the FinAid forum leads to more confusion?

supersnuffles said:
Hate to be such a pisser, but how are you all paying for the ginormous tuition? And which lenders did you guys file your MPN with? I'm trying to figure out which is the best, but so far, going nowhere. Am confused by all the terminology, and going to the FinAid forum leads to more confusion?
Good question! I've been pondering it a bit as well. From what I can decipher from the FinAid maze, I'm going with the $38,500 in subsidized and unsubsidized gov loans. More options are T.H.E., the military HPSP scholarship, Public Health Service, and various other scholarships (that don't require a contract). I remember seeing that 37% of GW students received GW Aid last year, so that route has potential. Selling a kidney really doesn't bring in enough cash to justify the suffering, so I've ruled that out. Any other ideas?

I think if you don't have any other scholarships (which I don't), the T.H.E in private loans is the best option. The 2...% interest rate is one of the lower ones and it has this bonus program that i am unsure about. Just seems like the best option compared to all the others that GW fin aid office has posted (AAMC loan, studentloans).

I also think fin aid is really backed up..it says on their website that people will not hear from our class at least until April 27th..(I guess they are at least a month behind). But it would be nice to know how much money we need to come up with b4 school starts.

Also, have any of you been able to find affordable housing in the foggy bottom area? I have been trying to find some solution to this 13,500 per year living expenses budget when the average rents are around 1200 per month!

chika

Dude, I never thought about selling a kidney... they should add that to the financial aid site! :)

In reality, if you're heart is set on primary care sorts of endeavors, then the NHSC is the way to go. It's super competitive so good luck to those who apply. I know a couple of HPSP people in my class. They seem to be pretty satisfied with the program so far but don't do it if you don't plan on being career military. It's not worth it unless your heart is in the right place.

If you have high need, there is GW aid available. There are also a ton of scholarship opportunities that become available once you matriculate. You receive a bzillion emails from financial aid with applications to fill out... (and totally not to be sexest or racist), especially if you're a woman or a URM (under represented minority).

With that said, many of us are on full loans, but my advice is don't be afraid. It's an investment just like buying a house would be. If you're gonna spend a bundle of money on something, it might as well be on fulfilling a dream, right?
T.H.E. loans is the company that GW recommends. So far they've been good to me with awesome customer service and supposedly the best rates and bonsuses you can get.

I'm sure most of you have seen this but, MD2 (monetary decisions for medical doctors is a great site).

Also, www.northstar.org has an excel file that is a great budget organizer thinga-ma-bob.

eralza said:
Good question! I've been pondering it a bit as well. From what I can decipher from the FinAid maze, I'm going with the $38,500 in subsidized and unsubsidized gov loans. More options are T.H.E., the military HPSP scholarship, Public Health Service, and various other scholarships (that don't require a contract). I remember seeing that 37% of GW students received GW Aid last year, so that route has potential. Selling a kidney really doesn't bring in enough cash to justify the suffering, so I've ruled that out. Any other ideas?

I tried to get all the financial aid stuff in early and I already got my award offer last week. I did the private loan through T.H.E. program and got some GW assistance too. I'm glad GW takes care of it.

bqj said:
I tried to get all the financial aid stuff in early and I already got my award offer last week. I did the private loan through T.H.E. program and got some GW assistance too. I'm glad GW takes care of it.
About how long did it take for them to process everything and get it back to you?

eralza said:
About how long did it take for them to process everything and get it back to you?

I filled out everything during the middle of April and heard back May 9th.

bqj said:
I filled out everything during the middle of April and heard back May 9th.

Oh wow, so the same rule of applying early applies here too!

I submitted all my financial aid info around the end of April and haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully it's coming soon.

The financial aid office might kill me for saying this, but I suggest you call if you've filled out the online application and if you think they have had all of your documents for a week. I received my financial aid package today and I only sent in my documents about 2 wks ago. I called and spoke with someone yesterday to confirm that they had everything and they emailed me today saying that my package was ready to be reviewed. So, there might be nothing holding you up and a phone call will remind them that you're waiting. I think they're busy and handling a lot of people, but they were friendly and I felt like I was a priority.

Hi everyone,
I was accepted in the spring and it's nice to now have new classmates. Has anyone received any info on orientation? All I received was a save the date letter for orientation and the white coat ceremony.

Hey so I called today (after a few days of calling and no one answering the phone), and the result was they were missing a copy of my parents tax return. SO thats why i have heard nothing, even though i didnt even know i had to send that in (i thought putting that info on the FAFSA was enough). Anyways, those of you that have also not heard back may be missing something like that. On the subject of rent, finding a roomate may reduce your rent a little bit, also living in arlington will help (tho i hear it is slightly unadvisable), either way, I still dont see how you can meet that 13,500 a year living expense. those ******. bring on the loans (on a brighter note, when i was interviewing at miami the gguy said when he went to med school his loans had a 17% interest rate)

I was looking at some of the areas outside of D.C. (Silver Spring, Falls Church, etc.). If there is a metro line nearby, the commute is still only about 30 minutes. Considering the hellish commutes that most make in the D.C. area, I figure that anything under 45 mins isn't too bad. Besides, if it is on the metro, it's a good time to read, listen to music, and just chill out.

Hi guys,

Is anyone looking for a roomate? I am extremely clean, am obviously going to study the majority of my time, and am looking for a roomate who is also clean yet pretty chill? Somewhere near GW!

i can play now!!! i'll see ya'll in august!