gen surg vs. ob

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsfer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who decided between gen surg and OB, what made you finally choose one of the two? Are you happy with your choice?

Members don't see this ad.

ucsfer said:
For those of you who decided between gen surg and OB, what made you finally choose one of the two? Are you happy with your choice?

patients are usually younger and healthy so they get better quicker, get to deliver babies which is a happy event, get to still do surgery but they are usually shorter, ob/gyn surgeons are nicer (less mean :) ) then gen surg, residency is one year less.

Switched to surgery because:

-I prefer to operate on the abdomen
-More time in the OR
-I didn't like the L&D pacing/schedule
-Very bad experience on OB clerkship
-I like delivering babies but I don't love it enough
-I just feel happier doing surgery than doing OB

Members don't see this ad :)
- Healthier patients
- Continuity of Care
- Primary care combined with surgical intervention
- Generally happy time for everyone at delivery
- Could not stand the attitude among many general surgeons (no offense rubyness)

However, suffice it to say that both fields are challenging, fun, and exciting and whichever you pick ultimately will undoubtedly make you happy.

Didn't want to do hernias and gallbladders all day. Sucks. Csxn is a much more fun surgery. Plus, OB has the edge on surgery in this country. Both of the top 2 surgeries in this country are performed by OB's.

dudeob said:
Didn't want to do hernias and gallbladders all day. Sucks. Csxn is a much more fun surgery. Plus, OB has the edge on surgery in this country. Both of the top 2 surgeries in this country are performed by OB's.

What are those?

judd

I can see that crash csections will continue to be exciting because of the sheer adrenaline flowing through you when you're trying to save the baby! but what about the rest. Since OB/GYN has many fewer different surgeries performed than general surgery, it seems like those could get boring much faster than in gen surg.

Also, is normal OB varied enough patient to patient that it stays interesting for medical (not personal) reasons? Everyone always mentions that it is great to be part of that moment in someone's life, and I can easily see that, but what about the medical aspects of the 9 months and delivery? ? Gen surg has so many cool diseases that they see and have to manage and it seems like that depth is just not there in OB. Is that a problem for any of you OBs?

Another quick question - how do the residencies of surgery and ob compare? I know ob is 4 yrs and surgery 5-7 (depending on research time), but what about call schedules, etc? Which is harder lifestyle wise?

rubyness, can you describe what you didn't like about L&D pacing/schedule? Thanks!