Gen Surg blocks as part of any OB/Gyn program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cholinergic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would ask this here before I search FRIEDA. Are there any OB/Gyn programs that include any Gen Surg blocks? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I would ask this here before I search FRIEDA. Are there any OB/Gyn programs that include any Gen Surg blocks? Thanks.

Haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean that there are not any. I have seen programs with an ICU and/or anesthesia block.

Yeah, I've seen some places have Family Medicine or Gen Med blocks as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Is there a specific reason that you would want a GS block? If the concern is attaining surgical skills/competency etc. there are quite a few OBGYN programs that can give you that.

Riverside Methodist (Columbus, OH)- contains a gen. surg block
Stonybrook - contains a urology block

I remember one program in CA having a gen surg block, but I can't remember which one right now.

Is there a specific reason that you would want a GS block? If the concern is attaining surgical skills/competency etc. there are quite a few OBGYN programs that can give you that.

I guess I was thinking it would be nice to learn how to manage surgical complications (ie nicking the bladder or bowel) that might occur during procedures.

I guess I was thinking it would be nice to learn how to manage surgical complications (ie nicking the bladder or bowel) that might occur during procedures.

You'll learn this on your ob/gyn rotations.

Some programs offer rotations with the breast service, usually in the 3rd or 4th year though. We had a SICU rotation at UCI during intern year.

Gyn Onc will teach you this - my gyn onc attendings do more crazy surgical procedures than some of the general surgeons. Bowel resections, Ureteral reimplantations, extenterations...

To the point that two weeks ago, during a case with a general gyn attending, we decided to do an appy - it was involved in the mass that we resected and it looked like we might have burnt the tip of the appendix during the dissection. He said "do you know how to do them?" and I said "sure, we do them on onc all the time." And he proceeded to let me do the appy. Myself. :)

BIDMC in Boston has a general surgery block during intern year.

Akron General (Ohio) ob/gyn does a month of breast. Akron General has a breast fellowship for general surgery grads. We spend a month with them.

Gyn Onc will teach you this - my gyn onc attendings do more crazy surgical procedures than some of the general surgeons. Bowel resections, Ureteral reimplantations, extenterations...

To the point that two weeks ago, during a case with a general gyn attending, we decided to do an appy - it was involved in the mass that we resected and it looked like we might have burnt the tip of the appendix during the dissection. He said "do you know how to do them?" and I said "sure, we do them on onc all the time." And he proceeded to let me do the appy. Myself. :)

The surgeries in Gyn Onc are pretty amazing. :thumbup:

And thanks for the programs everyone.