Gems 2011-12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am unclear on whether matriculation into Georgetown proceeding successful completion of GEMS means you will start as M2 or will you still be a first year medical student just taking fewer classes?

Thanks~

Did they sent you a confirmation when they've received ALL of your materials?

They normally send out some communication(mail or e-mail) to confirm that your application is complete or to notify you of unacceptable materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
lourdes

goodtobetrue

xinax

xdeucexx

Rose Croix (me)

tima

Sho

Glyco85

Coolski

Babo

DreamHope

Vickyl

Aldokid1

Futuredoctor 09

Falore

Dr. Flagators

Rainbwbuterflys

AriM

1913BabyDoc

19 applying from this forum, so far. Good luck to us all!!!

I am unclear on whether matriculation into Georgetown proceeding successful completion of GEMS means you will start as M2 or will you still be a first year medical student just taking fewer classes?

Thanks~

Hey, here is the answer to your question. I got this from the GEMS FAQS page.

"If admitted, a GEMS student can re-take all medical courses taken during the GEMS year and the remaining first year courses. Most former GEMS students seek and are granted exemption from the medical courses completed during the GEMS year."

Hey i guess i make 20.

I have some questions about the structure of the program:

How many classes do the gems take per semester? Are they taken with gtown m1s or do gems have their own sections?
Are classes monday through friday? 9-5?

thanks

Here is the answer to the last part of your question. Maybe some of the current or former GEMS can elaborate on the first two parts of your question. I pulled this from the GEMS FAQS page.
"GEMS students begin their day at 8:00 a.m. and participate in facilitated small group learning sessions, or monitored independent study, quiz sessions and lectures. GEMS is a full-time experience and students rarely finish scheduled activities before 5 p.m."

Here is the answer to the last part of your question. Maybe some of the current or former GEMS can elaborate on the first two parts of your question. I pulled this from the GEMS FAQS page.
"GEMS students begin their day at 8:00 a.m. and participate in facilitated small group learning sessions, or monitored independent study, quiz sessions and lectures. GEMS is a full-time experience and students rarely finish scheduled activities before 5 p.m."

After getting into the school of medicine; you can opt out of the classes that you have taken (3 modules). You are still an M1 but are given the option to not re-take. Although, you still have to take an anatomy final for each module even though you were successful in completing the course.

GEMS take certain classes as a group but the medical modules are taken with M1s and SMPs. Biochemistry is taken with graduate students and Pathophysiology is taken with the SMPs.

They normally send out some communication(mail or e-mail) to confirm that your application is complete or to notify you of unacceptable materials.

Yes. I submitted 2/29/11 and recieved a confirmation email 3/2/11 stating:
This is to inform you that your application for the Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies program is complete and has been forwarded to the GEMS Admissions Committee for review.
You will be notified via telephone or U.S. mail of a decision as soon as it is released. Thank you for your patience.
Please remember to keep your preferred e-mail address updated in the application system.
We appreciate your interest in the GEMS Program.
Sincerely,
GEMS Staff

Hope that helps.

Yes. I submitted 2/29/11 and recieved a confirmation email 3/2/11 stating:
This is to inform you that your application for the Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies program is complete and has been forwarded to the GEMS Admissions Committee for review.
You will be notified via telephone or U.S. mail of a decision as soon as it is released. Thank you for your patience.
Please remember to keep your preferred e-mail address updated in the application system.
We appreciate your interest in the GEMS Program.
Sincerely,
GEMS Staff

Hope that helps.

Nice!!

You can cut/paste or upload the essays, but it will automatically reduce the characters to the given limits. Did you double check the essay after uploading it? I would go back and check it to make sure that the last few characters( # of characters over limit) did not get deleted.

I did check it, it looks like everything is there...

Just trying to collect more data. Feel free to add your state, or just your region if that makes you more comfortable.

[AL]

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone tell us how the current GEMS are doing, has anyone been accepted somewhere? Has anyone dropped out? etc.

oh also, I am from dc, so big shout out to all my DMV folks!

Can someone tell us how the current GEMS are doing, has anyone been accepted somewhere? Has anyone dropped out? etc.

How a single class in a single year does shouldn't be the focus as there are variabilities every year. However, statistics that you should take note of is that on average 70% of GEMS students are accepted each year into the medical school but that each year a couple will be sent home for not living up to academic expectations. Without going into a lot of details, in the end it boils down to one major factor: you do your work and you get it done, you'll get your chance.

As of this morning my application is complete and was sent for review :)))) ( live in Salt Lake City, Utah)

How a single class in a single year does shouldn't be the focus as there are variabilities every year. However, statistics that you should take note of is that on average 70% of GEMS students are accepted each year into the medical school but that each year a couple will be sent home for not living up to academic expectations. Without going into a lot of details, in the end it boils down to one major factor: you do your work and you get it done, you'll get your chance.

So basically if you get the GEMS opportunity and your a hard worker you're golden? :D

I hope they pick me. I also hope they pick everyone else on this forum. :xf:

On a related note once you're in GEMS, do you have to worry about "gunners"? Or is it stick together kind of thing.

My application is complete as well. I got "the e-mail" and now we wait for " the call".
I'm also from the New England area. Good luck to us all !!! I hope that everyone has submitted their application, if not, get cracking. :)

lourdes

goodtobetrue - Complete (New England area)

xinax - Complete (Utah)

xdeucexx

Rose Croix - (status) (AL)

tima

Sho

Glyco85

Coolski

Babo - Complete ( )

Still 19 from this forum and counting....... Good luck!

DreamHope

Vickyl - (status) D.C area

Aldokid1

Futuredoctor 09

Falore

Dr. Flagators

Rainbwbuterflys

AriM

1913BabyDoc

So basically if you get the GEMS opportunity and your a hard worker you're golden? :D

I hope they pick me. I also hope they pick everyone else on this forum. :xf:

On a related note once you're in GEMS, do you have to worry about "gunners"? Or is it stick together kind of thing.

We do not compete against each other in the GEMS program. We are competing against the medical means. Your goal will be to do your best to help your fellow classmates (GEMS). With that being said, you will HAVE to do well in all of your courses to be considered for an acceptance at the end of the year. If everyone does well then everyone will be fine, plus we are evaluated on an individual basis. So the GEMS students, collectively, are known to be really intense students, this is the only shot for many of us. Please be prepared to come in and work your butt off!! I will not say too much more but if you are blessed to be granted an interview, you will get a gist of what I mean by the end of the day. Good Luck guys and gals!

PS You will enjoy this year and it will be well worth it.

Last edited:
My application is complete as well. I got "the e-mail" and now we wait for " the call".
I'm also from the New England area. Good luck to us all !!! I hope that everyone has submitted their application, if not, get cracking. :)

I'm one of the late ones.. About to submit but where do I put the info to send my application fee? I didn't see it a place to input my credit card number.. Do we HAVE to send a check?

I'm one of the late ones.. About to submit but where do I put the info to send my application fee? I didn't see it a place to input my credit card number.. Do we HAVE to send a check?

Just go through all those tabs (on the left) in order, and it should prompt you to pay (I think after you certify your application).

Hi Lourdes1975,
Log into your application and forward thru to the last screen. Once satisfied with all of your entries, click the submit button (top right link). Follow the prompts and you should reach a screen for paying by credit or mailing in a check. Good luck !!

Thanks folks! I just hit the submit button-- talk about cutting it close! I live in California so I wasn't sure if they're talking EST or PST for that 3/15 cut off. Ha ha! It's all in their hands now-- good luck everyone!

On another note, as I've noted, I'm living in California at the moment. I'm curious to know what the background is of the folks applying this cycle. I'm currently working as a respiratory therapist as well as a student (taking a few extra classes). I may be the oldest one in our applicant group!

Hi Lourdes1975,
Log into your application and forward thru to the last screen. Once satisfied with all of your entries, click the submit button (top right link). Follow the prompts and you should reach a screen for paying by credit or mailing in a check. Good luck !!

Just call me Lourdes! It's my name :)

Do you guys think they'll hold it against us for going over the character limit? (in my case, by a lot since I accidentally uploaded the wrong version of my essay. It's all there.. Just long)

Do you guys think they'll hold it against us for going over the character limit? (in my case, by a lot since I accidentally uploaded the wrong version of my essay. It's all there.. Just long)

Hopefully they don't hold it against you. Maybe they will notice the length if they are all stickers for following direction, on the other hand, they may overlook that detail (wait and see what happens :xf:). Good luck, Lourdes !!

I am trying to keep up with all of the posts (forgive me if this has been mentioned), but can a current or former GEMS student talk about how you manage the AMCAS process again while in the program? or is it really an issue at all?

How long did you wait for the confirmation email?
I submitted my app. last week but haven't gotten an email.

I submitted my app on 2/18 and i didn't get a confirmation until 3/2 :( maybe they were waiting for my transcripts, etc. Beginning of April seems so long to get invites for interviews...
BTW i'm from NJ

it took about a week for me to receive a confirmation email, but I'm sure since the deadline has just passed the office is really busy and confirmation emails will take some time. I did notice that when I signed into my app, the status was "in review". So maybe you can check there. I'm from NJ as well.

Last edited:
How long did you wait for the confirmation email?
I submitted my app. last week but haven't gotten an email.

Maybe they are still awaiting your LOR's. If not, you should get the confirmational e-mail within 2-3 business days.

I know my things were sent in on Thursday of last week. So I'm hoping I'll get a confirmation email this week. Did everyone receive a confirmation email in the AM?

I know my things were sent in on Thursday of last week. So I'm hoping I'll get a confirmation email this week. Did everyone receive a confirmation email in the AM?

I got mine very late in the evening. I think that Adcom is working really late or working from home. lol

lourdes - () California

xinax - Complete (Utah)

xdeucexx - () California

tima

Sho

Glyco85

Coolski

Babo - Complete ( )

DreamHope

Aldokid1

Futuredoctor 09

Falore

Dr. Flagators

Rainbwbuterflys

AriM - (Complete) NJ

1913BabyDoc - (Complete) NJ

19 applying from this forum. We are getting there.... :xf:

I just wanna make sure but you don't have to send in a transcript if your grades have been verified via your AMCAS app or you haven't taken any additional classes that aren't on your AMCAS app right? All my stuff is in and I'm still just waiting for my confirmation too.

Also, I'm from MD.:thumbup:

I just wanna make sure but you don't have to send in a transcript if your grades have been verified via your AMCAS app or you haven't taken any additional classes that aren't on your AMCAS app right? All my stuff is in and I'm still just waiting for my confirmation too.

That would be correct, Coolski! You only have to send transcripts in if you have taken classes (or received grades) AFTER AMCAS has verified your classes.

You shouldn't have to send in your transcripts, but if you've sent in all documents a week or so ago and still haven't gotten the completion e-mail, I would e-mail the GEMS staff @ [email protected] for further assurance. You can also try calling and leaving a message to further verify this. Good luck!

lourdes - () California

xinax - Complete (Utah)

xdeucexx - () California

tima

Sho

Glyco85

Coolski - (status) MD

Babo - Complete ( )

DreamHope

Aldokid1

Futuredoctor 09

Falore

Dr. Flagators

Rainbwbuterflys

AriM - (Complete) NJ

1913BabyDoc - (Complete) NJ

19 applying from this forum...

Hey,

Im a little confused. On the login page it says we have until March 25th to apply. However numerous times in this thread people have said that March 15 is the deadline. Which is it?

The deadline is March 15th. The application is only available until the 15th.
March 25 is when all supplemental documents should reach the adcom.

Hey,

Im a little confused. On the login page it says we have until March 25th to apply. However numerous times in this thread people have said that March 15 is the deadline. Which is it?

Here are the various sources for the deadline info:

GEMS informational letter: "The March 25, 2011 deadline is firm and applies to all application materials including transcripts and letters of recommendation."

GEMS Brochure: "Applications will be available to any interested candi- date for admission between February 15th and March 15th only.The deadline for 2011 applications is March 25, 2011."

As a side note, the GEMS page was updated on March 16th, but the application link is still there. I assumed that it would have been removed by now. Maybe you can still submit your application since it is still available. Again, for more info please contact the GEMS staff, but I'm still under the impression that the deadline was March 15th and the 25th is the last day for supporting documents. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup. Just tried to login and the application is no longer there. Thanks for all the info though.