Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine MBS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the link! Ah sorry, I meant that if you choose to start in October and classes finish in September than your application consideration could be delayed and in light of that consideration, wondered if that was why you chose July as your start-date (so that your classes are done in June, suggesting you were trying to apply the summer of graduation). Also studying for the MCAT (and can't leave work until August...). Didn't think about possibly squeezing it in December though - that's a good idea, especially if you get most of content review done now!
Ohh, my bad. I see what you mean. Yes, that is why I chose July. Let us know how you if you end up changing to July!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I still apply to this program? I don't see any deadlines on the website and summer classes seem to start late July.
Also anyone know how many people from this program are able to matriculate into Geisinger SOM?

Can I still apply to this program? I don't see any deadlines on the website and summer classes seem to start late July.
Also anyone know how many people from this program are able to matriculate into Geisinger SOM?
You can still apply for it, but I'm not sure if you can start in July. Email [email protected] and they should be able to tell you. Let us know if you apply! :) For matriculation, they interview the top 20% of performers in the MBS program and I've been told by a former student that they typically take most of them. I don't have any actual stats though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can still apply for it, but I'm not sure if you can start in July. Email [email protected] and they should be able to tell you. Let us know if you apply! :) For matriculation, they interview the top 20% of performers in the MBS program and I've been told by a former student that they typically take most of them. I don't have any actual stats though.
Thanks for the input. I just opened the app, and the Summer option is still available so I'll give it a shot.

Just applied a few days ago for October 2020. Hopefully, I'll hear good news back from them. If not you guys we'll be seeing me apply for the next semester. Have heard nothing but good things.

For those of you that have already been accepted. How long did it take to hear from them once all of your information has been accepted? Also, did they call you or let you know through email?

For those of you that have already been accepted. How long did it take to hear from them once all of your information has been accepted? Also, did they call you or let you know through email?
Hi! I submitted my application application on May 5th, 2020. I don't think my entire application was considered complete though until May 14th, 2020 as I was waiting for transcripts and other submissions. I got my acceptance letter to GCSoM'S MBS program on June 8th, 2020! :)

Let us know if you have anymore questions! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Got in! I'll be starting in October. Do any of you know if there is a group on here, discord or Facebook to join? With it being mainly online I feel like having some communication between all of us would be cool.

LMK

Got in! I'll be starting in October. Do any of you know if there is a group on here, discord or Facebook to join? With it being mainly online I feel like having some communication between all of us would be cool.
LMK
Wow, that was FAST! I haven't heard back yet and I applied about a week before you. Fingers crossed for good news soon!

Wow, that was FAST! I haven't heard back yet and I applied about a week before you. Fingers crossed for good news soon!

You've got this! I had everything submitted pretty quickly since I see my recommenders daily. I also just attended their virtual open house. Happy with my choice to attend. They do CV editing, mock interviews, and offer a lot of one on one time with students on everything that they need to strengthen their app.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the online classes from Monday to Friday? What time of the day are the class?

Are the online classes from Monday to Friday? What time of the day are the class?
Hi there! Our classes are at 7pm EST. I'm not sure if there will be any changes for future cohorts. My cohort's classes run Monday-Friday for just 1 hour ish!

Classes are prerecorded so you can take them whenever you want throughout the day. There are cohort meetings and office hours that are live through Zoom. I know most classes have office hours at least once a week at night

Reviving an old thread but just wanted to celebrate with y’all :) I ended up with some Life Stuff (tm) and ended up pushing my app to the winter 2021 cycle. My app was completed on 12/2 and they offered me an acceptance on 12/4 😂 I accepted and am super excited to start in a month! My undergrad GPA is a 2.8 so I was just crossing fingers and hoping but I guess they liked what they saw! 😊

Hi friends, hope one of you can answer my question, i know this is an old thread! I started my mbs application, I know i can forward my amcas as part of my application, but I was wondering if I can do the same for the LORs?

Hi friends, hope one of you can answer my question, i know this is an old thread! I started my mbs application, I know i can forward my amcas as part of my application, but I was wondering if I can do the same for the LORs?
How are your LORs stored? I had mine in Interfolio so I just sent them that way. All my LORs were written for medical school but they accepted them.

How are your LORs stored? I had mine in Interfolio so I just sent them that way. All my LORs were written for medical school but they accepted them.
Oh sweet, that's what I was wondering if I can do! I have them on interfolio too :)

Hi!
I am currently enrolled in Geisinger's MBS program, graduating this June. If you have any questions about the program I would be willing to answer them. Currently, our classes are online, so I can also speak on how the institution has handled our program regarding the Coronavirus thus far.

Also, if you are planning to live in Scranton for I am looking for an MBS student to sublet my apartment. $675 per month, furniture included.
Hi,
I just have a quick question. In terms of completing the program this June and if you are offered an interview and accepted. Would you begin medical school once you graduate in the Fall of September or would you have another gap year? Could you also share your experience and if it's worth going to? Thank you

Hi,
I just have a quick question. In terms of completing the program this June and if you are offered an interview and accepted. Would you begin medical school once you graduate in the Fall of September or would you have another gap year? Could you also share your experience and if it's worth going to? Thank you
I'm in the middle of applying to this program, but I believe you would have to take an additional gap year before starting medical school if you are offered an interview

Hi!
I am currently enrolled in Geisinger's MBS program, graduating this June. If you have any questions about the program I would be willing to answer them. Currently, our classes are online, so I can also speak on how the institution has handled our program regarding the Coronavirus thus far.

Also, if you are planning to live in Scranton for I am looking for an MBS student to sublet my apartment. $675 per month, furniture included.
hey i was wondering if you ever got into their medical school?

Hi!

hey did you ever end up getting into the medical school?

Reviving an old thread but just wanted to celebrate with y’all :) I ended up with some Life Stuff (tm) and ended up pushing my app to the winter 2021 cycle. My app was completed on 12/2 and they offered me an acceptance on 12/4 😂 I accepted and am super excited to start in a month! My undergrad GPA is a 2.8 so I was just crossing fingers and hoping but I guess they liked what they saw! 😊
Heyy!! My GPA is similar to yours and I’m currently in the process of applying, did you take the MCAT or GRE? I was thinking of taking the GRE to strengthen my app but I’m afraid of getting a low score & it backfiring.

Heyy!! My GPA is similar to yours and I’m currently in the process of applying, did you take the MCAT or GRE? I was thinking of taking the GRE to strengthen my app but I’m afraid of getting a low score & it backfiring.
I had GRE scores still valid from a few years ago when I applied to PhD programs. My score was quite high (169 V 165 Q 5.5 AW) so who knows, it may have played a part in me getting in. I hadn't taken the MCAT yet when I applied. Compared to the MCAT, the GRE is ridiculously easy lol.

I had GRE scores still valid from a few years ago when I applied to PhD programs. My score was quite high (169 V 165 Q 5.5 AW) so who knows, it may have played a part in me getting in. I hadn't taken the MCAT yet when I applied. Compared to the MCAT, the GRE is ridiculously easy lol.
Oh wow! That’s amazing! Sorry to bombard you with questions but what did you use to study? I graduated with a BS in psych but the curriculum for my specific program was the same as pre-med.

Last edited:
Oh wow! That’s amazing! Sorry to bombard you with questions but what did you use to study? I graduated with a BS in psych but the curriculum for my specific program was the same as pre-med.
This is not the answer you're looking for, but I didn't study........... and I don't mean the premed humblebrag of "I actually studied for a couple weeks but pretend that I didn't", but I literally didn't crack open a book. I had taken the GRE in 2012 and scored well with no studying, so when I retook it in 2018 I figured I'd get a similar score with no studying haha.

I do tutor for the GRE, and I use the ETS official guide + the Manhattan 5 lb practice problem book for my students :)

This is not the answer you're looking for, but I didn't study........... and I don't mean the premed humblebrag of "I actually studied for a couple weeks but pretend that I didn't", but I literally didn't crack open a book. I had taken the GRE in 2012 and scored well with no studying, so when I retook it in 2018 I figured I'd get a similar score with no studying haha.

I do tutor for the GRE, and I use the ETS official guide + the Manhattan 5 lb practice problem book for my students :)
How long do you recommend to study for using the Manhattan prep? And please, any tips that you have about anything (MBS, GRE, etc) lol please let me know!! If you have the time, of course haha

How long do you recommend to study for using the Manhattan prep? And please, any tips that you have about anything (MBS, GRE, etc) lol please let me know!! If you have the time, of course haha
PM me! I don't want to clutter this thread too much.

Thank you for the link! Ah sorry, I meant that if you choose to start in October and classes finish in September than your application consideration could be delayed and in light of that consideration, wondered if that was why you chose July as your start-date (so that your classes are done in June, suggesting you were trying to apply the summer of graduation). Also studying for the MCAT (and can't leave work until August...). Didn't think about possibly squeezing it in December though - that's a good idea, especially if you get most of content review done now!
Just wondering, did you end up pushing back the MCAT? I'm starting the MBS program next month and wanted to do the mcat next month too. Would you say it's possible to do so, given the rigor of the 1st quarter

Can someone go in depth in terms of how much coursework, assignments, projects, exams are given each quarter? Is this program realistic for someone with a full time job?

Can someone go in depth in terms of how much coursework, assignments, projects, exams are given each quarter? Is this program realistic for someone with a full time job?
When I was in the program, it was very intensive. I've heard the med students say they felt sorry for us at some points with the work we were doing.

I would spend around 60 hours a week, sometimes more studying and attending classes.

I also did very well, placed in the top 20%, and got into Geisinger's MD program.

There were students who were known to party, not put in their due diligence, and did not treat the program seriously. I have not seen many of those students get into a US med school.

If you want to do well in the program, I would highly recommend not working at all and treating it as a serious program. Couldn't imagine juggling it and a job (and doing well).

Maybe someone else could chime in, but that was my experience.

Thank you so much for your insight and information. I am excited to start this program! Were you guys graded against the medical students?
No, our classes and grading was separate from the medical students. The same professors who taught the med students taught us however.

As far as content, it was said that the masters program dove deep into subjects while the medical students took a shallower dive in a much, much larger pool.

That is very exciting to hear. Aside from the diving, nervous but excited. If you don't mind me asking: , what was your experience like on this program? How are the classes? What is some advice you would give a prospective student! I'd appreciate any information regarding this program from a former student. Thanks!

Work hard, be respectful and professional. Make good connections with the faculty and other students as best you can.

Treat the entire experience as an ongoing interview for the MD school. Professors will be watching students and know who trouble makers are and who are the ones working hard.

My experience was great. I made a lot of life long friends and connections with faculty. It really is a good program.

The classes are masters level. They are not pulling punches. You will need to study to do well. Do what works best for you to succeed.

Hi if you start a group let me know! I would like to join. Ill be starting in october as well
+1, I'll also be starting in October. Let me know if you guys find or start a group!

Hey, can someone who attended this program speak on their experience and while online? I am thinking of doing the program but want more information on difficulty and how doable it is to do well if you put in the time and effort.

Hey, can someone who attended this program speak on their experience and while online? I am thinking of doing the program but want more information on difficulty and how doable it is to do well if you put in the time and effort.
It's pretty difficult. Don't believe the promises that if you do well you will be granted admission or even an interview. They value professional and ECs more than anything else but still expect you to have all As in the first semester to be granted an early interview, even if professors are only reading off of the slides. The MCAT prep that they offer isn't enough to increase your score. If you interview during the program you basically don't "have the geisinger look." A friend and I crushed the first semester and already had decent MCAT scores and didn't get looked at. Not saying that didn't leave a sour taste cause it did, but both of us were granted early graduation since we just started this week at different medical schools. Which is nice of the school since they don't always do that. Either way GL! You'll learn a lot and you'll meet great people. If you don't want to move to PA its not worth the 35-42K that it cost.

It's pretty difficult. Don't believe the promises that if you do well you will be granted admission or even an interview. They value professional and ECs more than anything else but still expect you to have all As in the first semester to be granted an early interview, even if professors are only reading off of the slides. The MCAT prep that they offer isn't enough to increase your score. If you interview during the program you basically don't "have the geisinger look." A friend and I crushed the first semester and already had decent MCAT scores and didn't get looked at. Not saying that didn't leave a sour taste cause it did, but both of us were granted early graduation since we just started this week at different medical schools. Which is nice of the school since they don't always do that. Either way GL! You'll learn a lot and you'll meet great people. If you don't want to move to PA its not worth the 35-42K that it cost.
I’m not concerned with the linkage part. As I have other schools in mind I plan to apply to. I just want to get an idea if it’s doable and what it was like I.e how many hours did you put in, did you still have a life, was the material not very hard to digest, exam difficulty. I am thinking of doing it online.

When I was in the program, it was very intensive. I've heard the med students say they felt sorry for us at some points with the work we were doing.

I would spend around 60 hours a week, sometimes more studying and attending classes.

I also did very well, placed in the top 20%, and got into Geisinger's MD program.

There were students who were known to party, not put in their due diligence, and did not treat the program seriously. I have not seen many of those students get into a US med school.

If you want to do well in the program, I would highly recommend not working at all and treating it as a serious program. Couldn't imagine juggling it and a job (and doing well).

Maybe someone else could chime in, but that was my experience.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your answer. Def have to work. 60+ hours for the school and 40+ hours for work. Damn, I'm nervous now. I can't find info on coursework. As far as number of assignments per week, papers, quizzes, exams, projects, research, etc. Can you elaborate?

I’m not concerned with the linkage part. As I have other schools in mind I plan to apply to. I just want to get an idea if it’s doable and what it was like I.e how many hours did you put in, did you still have a life, was the material not very hard to digest, exam difficulty. I am thinking of doing it online.
Between classes, studying, and doing MCAT prep that went along with the material I spent around 60-80 hours a week. Quizzes and Exams on weekends is what makes the hours longer since you pretty much don't have an off when exams or quizzes drop on both Saturday and Sunday. I was also out of college for a bit so that could be the reason why some weeks I was closer to 80.

Between classes, studying, and doing MCAT prep that went along with the material I spent around 60-80 hours a week. Quizzes and Exams on weekends is what makes the hours longer since you pretty much don't have an off when exams or quizzes drop on both Saturday and Sunday. I was also out of college for a bit so that could be the reason why some weeks I was closer to 80.
When did you take your mcat and apply for med schools? Even being out of school for awhile, did you feel it wasn’t very hard to digest the material and then be tested on it based upon the way it was presented/taught to you? I just really want to know if it’s worth the investment of having an official program rather than doing diy post bacc/grad courses in terms of helping with application and preparing you for medical school

When did you take your mcat and apply for med schools? Even being out of school for awhile, did you feel it wasn’t very hard to digest the material and then be tested on it based upon the way it was presented/taught to you? I just really want to know if it’s worth the investment of having an official program rather than doing diy post bacc/grad courses in terms of helping with application and preparing you for medical school
I took the MCAT back in 2014 when it was in the old format, and then again in early 2020 in the middle of all the BS. I was complete with apps by late July and by October had my first interview. I was interviewing while in the program and still managed to do well, what I learned the most from the program was how to study and handle the class load. Nothing is hard to digest, even in medical school now nothing is hard. What is hard is the amount of material and doing everything else. The MBS classes aren't hard, what makes it hard is the group projects, the BS meetings about being professional, mandatory volunteering, and going to school visits/showcases to show face/meet admins. Idk what your stats are or your goals but if I were to go back I wouldn't do it again. Are you under a 3.5? Hell under a 3.3? Under a 505? Research? ECs? They'll tell you what your weak areas are and pretty much have everyone do the same things do be a generally good applicant if you can meet the expectations. If you're over a 3.5, solid ECs but have a low MCAT a prep course may be better with a solid Anki Deck and then applying all over. 3.3 or under with a low MCAT? Do a SMP/ post-bacc but find a cheap one. All you should care about is finding one from a good school that will raise your GPA and show that you can handle grad level material.

Do they provide MCAT prep? Or was that on your own? (I.e AAMC Q banks) or what is their MCAT prep about?
Thank you!

The full princeton review online course (including the 11 book set) is included along with all the AAMC practice tests and stuff. (at least for the class of 2020 it was)

Ohh interesting. Did you get that at the beginning of the program?
Do you mind if I PM you with questions?
You can PM me, sometimes I'm slow to respond. The course was at the end of the program and required for anyone who scored less than a 502 or 503 on the MCAT (or haven't taken it yet)

Hi!

Hi, can you comment on the matriculation rate from people in the MBS program to their medical school? Only the top 20 percent are offered an interview, right? So how many of those are typically accepted?

Can you do it at your own pace?

What is the typical class size and how difficult is it to be in that top 20%?

Is the class size pool a mix of online and in-person?

I would most likely do the program online, but does it provide me a disadvantage that I am from out of state? Meaning if I performed well and had a successful interview, would my state residency stop me from being accepted into the medical school?

How can I obtain letters of rec if it is purely online? How would they be able to get to know me on that level to write me a letter?