Geisinger MBS 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insouciant12

Reaction score
Hi! Has anyone who completed the Geisinger Master of Biomedical Sciences shine some light on the program? Wondering what some of the cons of the program are, how manageable the online format is, and if people who completed the program were successful in attending medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got admitted to this program. Would love to hear feedback.

Hi! Has anyone who completed the Geisinger Master of Biomedical Sciences shine some light on the program? Wondering what some of the cons of the program are, how manageable the online format is, and if people who completed the program were successful in attending medical school?
An average medical students review, on why some of the current Post-Bacc/SMPs maybe a 35-75K mistake.
I wrote a post that pretty much describes Geisinger, Duke, GWU, etc.. Class load is doable depends on you as a student (sucks as an answer I know but hey), cons are the hours (classes at night, homework due in the middle of the weekend, etc), the price for what you get, and the MCAT prep if you need to retake. Its a cookie cutter program. Some students have strong ECs and yet are required to spend 3-5 hours a week on ECs is a waste of time. From my cohort I still keep in touch with couple of people. All three of us got into medical school, all three of us were interviewing during the program, and one of us dropped after the first semester since the school that accepted him said they didn't care about him completing the degree (this is also in fall/winter 2020 lol a wild application cycle). If there's anything that you have questions about after reading that post feel free to ask away, I'm gearing up for finals but will reply whenever I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and got the "A" in about 5 days. I have decided NOT to move forward with this program. You will be eligible for II only after completion of the program. That means you have to SKIP the upcoming cycle. This would lead to a GAP year and am hearing they will push you to do a one-year M.S program during this period. What are your stats? MCAT/GPA.

Please make sure that the Postbaac program you are applying to has a good MCAT preparation program. Some of them have Princeton REview or equivalent program available as part of the Postbaac program. If not, Stay away from them. You also should make sure the program is easy and help you build GPA not wreck it and end your med school dreams. Are you URM?

Focus on MCAT and try to get close to 498-500. Your GPA is ok. Do you really want to shell out another $50-$60K on Postbaac? Enroll in a good MCAT prep program, improve your MCAT score in the next couple of months, and apply in the upcoming cycle.

Hey, has anyone applied to the fall 2022 MBS program? Have you gottten accepted yet? How long did it take? I just sent in my application waiting for a response

Also has anyone started over the summer? If so, how has the experience online been so far? How’s the workload? Can I work FT while doing the program? Are you enjoying it overall?

I did excellent in the program and my MCAT is slightly higher than their matriculated MCAT score.
I was advised by GCSOM to consider other schools when I asked if I should apply to the medical program here -- "have you considered DO" (indirect ageism), "have you considered your in-state schools"?
The admission to their MD program is sketchy at best. I've seen people with lower stats and MCAT getting in from the MBS cohort while people with better stats did not.
Also, the quality of instruction and the content coverage here is not on par with other more reputable programs. I've compared the syllabus and even had confirmation from professors from another more reputable school that the content is lesser than the amount they teach in the better program. The instruction quality is also worse than what I've seen at my in-state school.
How about considering more reputable programs that may be offered in your state school? they may not cost more than what you'll be paying for this GCSOM program.
I seriously wonder how much can you leverage GCSOM's reputation given it's not even ranked?

Reactions: 1 user
I did excellent in the program and my MCAT is slightly higher than their matriculated MCAT score.
I was advised by GCSOM to consider other schools when I asked if I should apply to the medical program here -- "have you considered DO" (indirect ageism), "have you considered your in-state schools"?
The admission to their MD program is sketchy at best. I've seen people with lower stats and MCAT getting in from the MBS cohort while people with better stats did not.
Also, the quality of instruction and the content coverage here is not on par with other more reputable programs. I've compared the syllabus and even had confirmation from professors from another more reputable school that the content is lesser than the amount they teach in the better program. The instruction quality is also worse than what I've seen at my in-state school.
How about considering more reputable programs that may be offered in your state school? they may not cost more than what you'll be paying for this GCSOM program.
I seriously wonder how much can you leverage GCSOM's reputation given it's not even ranked?
do you mind sharing what your ending stats were and where you ended up going to medical school? I just got accepted into the program and although I was super excited when I got the acceptance, SDN is making me rethink my excitement lol.

I actually got in and out my deposit and was advised by many that with my stats ( MCAT 51* mid teens) and GPA (3.7+) I should t be doing this or any other postbac program . I have gotten decent response in thei cycle and would be withdrawing my acceptance soon.
Answer for you is it depends upon your stats. If you already have decent stats you should be applying in this cycle. You can PM me your stats if you want

Graduated a few years ago. This school's admin and faculty actively try to criminalize their students. It felt like we were fighting for basic student rights most of the time. I would not recommend this program to anyone, and I say this as someone who graduated in the top 5% of their class. Geisinger has absolutely no contacts/connections with other med schools and the Dean of Admissions at GCSOM plays favorites big time.

0 leverage. Geisinger is literally trash, I graduated from the program too and regret it. They burn their bridges hard at that school

0 leverage. Geisinger is literally trash, I graduated from the program too and regret it. They burn their bridges hard at that school
How were the exams? Do you think it was super difficult to do well? I'm just looking to enhance my graduate gpa with more coursework. I'm hoping to go DO anyways, so I don't really care about their linkage

Members don't see this ad :)
How were the exams? Do you think it was super difficult to do well? I'm just looking to enhance my graduate gpa with more coursework. I'm hoping to go DO anyways, so I don't really care about their linkage
You're to have to going to battle for those grades. Profs often won't give points back on questions that are marked incorrectly. Everything is super subjective - including filing for regrades (which professors themselves will outright say are a lost causes). You'd be better off going to any other school or doing a DIY post bac to up your grades.

You're to have to going to battle for those grades. Profs often won't give points back on questions that are marked incorrectly. Everything is super subjective - including filing for regrades (which professors themselves will outright say are a lost causes). You'd be better off going to any other school or doing a DIY post bac to up your grades.
Thanks for sharing! Do you happen to know what the class averages on the exams were? Did you do well in the program? I just want to know more before I give them my money

Thanks for sharing! Do you happen to know what the class averages on the exams were? Did you do well in the program? I just want to know more before I give them my money
Averages were all in the 70s-80s. No curves ever, hardly points given back even when questions were proved incorrect.
I finished in the top 10% of the class. I reaped all that I could (gpa boost, extracurrics, LORs) from this program and it still wasn't worth it imo. I would highly recommend another program. Geisinger is not known outside of PA and they have absolutely no linkage guarantees even within their own school. The med school admissions is run by a tyrant with no checks or balances. Unless you're an attractive, white male who can flirt your way into the dean of admissions' heart, I'd look elsewhere

Geisinger MBS graduate here who got accepted to their med school. Im going say what I think and move on later to the med school threads to advise people there. My impression is mixed but more positive - obviously I got in. Program has strong and bad points. Some people do get into med school from here – we exist. Some classes are good - I learned a lot. On the negative side theres a lot of variation among faculty and classes and some are difficult and others too easy. The school is bit intimidating Im sure they don’t like students talking and complaining about their programs so I need to be careful how much I say here. I don’t want them to know who I am given Im accepted as a med student here now.

About other comments

“This school's admin and faculty actively try to criminalize their students. It felt like we were fighting for basic student rights most of the time.”

Not sure what that means. I know students in my class were cheating. If you read past years threads here it happened before and some people got caught. I didn’t cheat or antagonize anyone and no one took away my rights or any of the other people I did group work with.

“The med school admissions is run by a tyrant with no checks or balances. Unless you're an attractive, white male who can flirt your way into the dean of admissions' heart, I'd look elsewhere”

That’s funny - I laughed, I don’t know about the tyrant thing but whether “an attractive, white male who can flirt your way into the dean of admissions' heart” is true or not I don’t know the fact is like it or not that Geisinger like every other medical school has admission that favors URM students.

Honestly I think people who graduate and get into med school will be happy and those who do not wont be. Geisinger is not better or worse than similar programs. If the program appeals to you and you are interested in Geisinger for med school then do the MBS there, if not dont.

Last edited:
Geisinger MBS graduate here who got accepted to their med school. Im going say what I think and move on later to the med school threads to advise people there. My impression is mixed but more positive - obviously I got in. Program has strong and bad points. Some people do get into med school from here – we exist. Some classes are good - I learned a lot. On the negative side theres a lot of variation among faculty and classes and some are difficult and others too easy. The school is bit intimidating Im sure they don’t like students talking and complaining about their programs so I need to be careful how much I say here. I don’t want them to know who I am given Im accepted as a med student here now.

About other comments

“This school's admin and faculty actively try to criminalize their students. It felt like we were fighting for basic student rights most of the time.”

Not sure what that means. I know students in my class were cheating. If you read past years threads here it happened before and some people got caught. I didn’t cheat or antagonize anyone and no one took away my rights or any of the other people I did group work with.

“The med school admissions is run by a tyrant with no checks or balances. Unless you're an attractive, white male who can flirt your way into the dean of admissions' heart, I'd look elsewhere”

That’s funny - I laughed, I don’t know about the tyrant thing but whether “an attractive, white male who can flirt your way into the dean of admissions' heart” is true or not I don’t know the fact is like it or not that Geisinger like every other medical school has admission that favors URM students.

Honestly I think people who graduate and get into med school will be happy and those who do not wont be. Geisinger is not better or worse than similar programs. If the program appeals to you and you are interested in Geisinger for med school then do the MBS there, if not dont.
How doable were the classes? Is it possible to get straight A's (given you put in the work of course)? How fair were the exams? I plan on studying for an MCAT retake since I got a 502 the first time. Only shooting for DO schools anyways, but I liked how I could do this program from home since it's online

About other comments

Also how much of your time does this program take up? I understand it will most likely be 30+ hours per week, but is it doable to study for the MCAT alongside this program

Hello
Before I answer your questions I note that I have heard rumors that the program is being changed - dont know if its true or not, you should contact Geisinger about that. I can only comment about the program I took.
In my case, I had a high GPA with mostly As. I would say the classes are doable and with study you can get As, maybe not in every single class. Fair exams? Matter of opinion, but if the exams were really unfair then students would not be able to get As in the classes.
The program did take a lot of time. 30+ hours per week is minimum. The problem is I know some people in my class were working full time. There were always problems setting up group work because of that. I think you can do the program (at least the program I took) and study for MCAT if you are a full time student. Maybe not if you are working. Maybe some people can do that but why take the chance? On the other hand, if you are going to leave a job for this program you had better be sure that you really want med school and that you are confident that you can do well if you study full time. Otherwise, not good.

Also how much of your time does this program take up? I understand it will most likely be 30+ hours per week, but is it doable to study for the MCAT alongside this program
Hi Cat, I just got accepted to the program. Are you doing online or in person courses? My friend did this program and she is now a 3rd year med student at Geisinger. She told me that this program is rigorous and that she studied 60+ hours a week to land an interview and eventually got accepted.

Hi Cat, I just got accepted to the program. Are you doing online or in person courses? My friend did this program and she is now a 3rd year med student at Geisinger. She told me that this program is rigorous and that she studied 60+ hours a week to land an interview and eventually got accepted.
Oh wow, I hope it goes well for us. I'm an online student

Hello
Before I answer your questions I note that I have heard rumors that the program is being changed - dont know if its true or not, you should contact Geisinger about that. I can only comment about the program I took.
In my case, I had a high GPA with mostly As. I would say the classes are doable and with study you can get As, maybe not in every single class. Fair exams? Matter of opinion, but if the exams were really unfair then students would not be able to get As in the classes.
The program did take a lot of time. 30+ hours per week is minimum. The problem is I know some people in my class were working full time. There were always problems setting up group work because of that. I think you can do the program (at least the program I took) and study for MCAT if you are a full time student. Maybe not if you are working. Maybe some people can do that but why take the chance? On the other hand, if you are going to leave a job for this program you had better be sure that you really want med school and that you are confident that you can do well if you study full time. Otherwise, not good.
Yes I will be studying full time! Good to know, thanks for answering

New students who completed the orientation - whats the new curriculum like? How are the classes run now? Still have lots of electives?

New students who completed the orientation - whats the new curriculum like? How are the classes run now? Still have lots of electives?
They have not changed the curriculum yet. They are switching to synchronized learning after the Fall 2023 semester. The classes will run in real time and you will be required to log in and participate at specific times each week. Summer 2023 and Fall 2023 will remain asynchronized. As far as I know, they haven’t given many choices for electives. And the cost of tuition is about $37,000 right now. No assistance….they offer no $ to master students just loans. The tuition will probably change when they convert to asynchronized learning.

Given "Summer 2023 and Fall 2023 will remain asynchronized" and "they haven’t given many choices for electives" it seems like significant changes have been made. We had synchronized sessions in the main classes and there was a variety of electives.

Anyway, good luck with the program. Im getting ready for med.