Gamer DO's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish I could still use glider. After that huge lawsuit was finished, they took the glider servers down and I just sorta stopped after that. There are/were plenty of other bots but nothing that looked nearly as easy or as good as glider did. And I agree with you that botting was even more addicting than actually playing the game regularly, which is something to say for WoW. I was always too scared to actually use glider/pather in bg's though. I strictly used it for leveling up to max and then farming for items/gold in remote areas. It was always very tempting to go into bgs though especially once they let you buy the epic gems from honor points.

Yeah I spent countless hours setting up Glider for BG's. It actually played my rogue better than I could, until black Tuesday when everyone got banned after the sneaky Warden update in May 2008. Now I just make hundreds of thousands of gold playing the AH, and doing arena.

Members don't see this ad.

You still use glider? Man, those were the days. Setting up glider and pather to quest and do bg's was more addicting than the game itself. Nothing like waking up in the morning to 3 new levels (or in the middle of the night to a tell alert :eek:).

And to all the bot haters in WoW, who are the one's crying when prices in the AH skyrocket after a ban wave?!

Ok off my soap box.

I play games to enjoy them. Not to POWERGAME...

FWIW this is a pre-med forum board, save your trash talking for the 13 year old's on the WoW forums.

Was never into MMO/RPGs so I couldn't understand half the posts here. :)

Do enjoy the occasional round of MW2 or Black Ops edition. First person shooters were the only PC games that I really enjoyed.

Members don't see this ad :)

FWIW this is a pre-med forum board, save your trash talking for the 13 year old's on the WoW forums.

I should hope you play games to enjoy them. I would recommend not playing them if you dont. I think Drhogfan and myself for that matter play games to enjoy them as well, we just enjoy them in a powergaming sorta way.:cool: As for the trash talking, I think he was referring to a post where someone halfheartedly joked that they thought bots were bad. If you think what he said is trash talking, come play on xbl or any internet based game for that matter, lol.

noonelt said:
Anyone gonna pick up Star Wars: The Old Republic? I quit WoW and all MMOs already cause I know I won't have time to play them in school, but this one game intrigues me. I'm just afraid I'd turn to my undergrad self and play 15-16 hrs a day.

I have been following this game for a really long time. A few years ago they said it was expected to be released December 2010 so I thought I would be able to play it a lot before school started but now it looks like I probably wont:(. It looks like a really fun game though especially to all of us who love everything star wars and who played the mmo star wars galaxies and loved it before they came with their stupid space expansions.

I should hope you play games to enjoy them. I would recommend not playing them if you dont. I think Drhogfan and myself for that matter play games to enjoy them as well, we just enjoy them in a powergaming sorta way.:cool: As for the trash talking, I think he was referring to a post where someone halfheartedly joked that they thought bots were bad. If you think what he said is trash talking, come play on xbl or any internet based game for that matter, lol.

You honestly get enjoyment out of setting an automized program to play a game for you so you can get to a higher level or get more gold? Especially when you know these things aren't allowed?

I guess it is probably along the same lines of people actually like OB/GYN as a specialty...I'll never understand it. But I started my gaming in the 80s, it is probably a generational thing.

Anyone else feel that SWOR is going to flop hard? I just don't have a whole lot of faith in EA to put out anything decent not titled "Madden" or "FIFA"

You honestly get enjoyment out of setting an automized program to play a game for you so you can get to a higher level or get more gold? Especially when you know these things aren't allowed?

I guess it is probably along the same lines of people actually like OB/GYN as a specialty...I'll never understand it. But I started my gaming in the 80s, it is probably a generational thing.

Anyone else feel that SWOR is going to flop hard? I just don't have a whole lot of faith in EA to put out anything decent not titled "Madden" or "FIFA"

Yeah, it must just be a generation gap thing, I didn't start playing games till the mid to later 90s.

As for SWTOR, although EA is the parent company, bioware is the name you have to look at. Given that bioware has made absolutely incredible games in the past 5-10 games such as mass effect, and kotor and since they have a lot of previous experience with mmos (warhammer/ultima/DAC), it looks like it will be a very interesting game. The only fault I can see right now, which is actually pretty big for me, is that the end game might not be on par with WoW. From what I've read there is a huge amount of work being put into the storyline to make it feel a lot like a kotor game. Normally most end game content gets added a few months after release date anyways so it might not be a huge deal anyways. Last I read as well it sounded like they were trying to get away from that trinity core which I'm not sure if I like or not...

If they can make the game play life kotor as well as giving us hard core gamers something to do after the first month, I think it will turn out to be a very fun and profitable game.

Yeah, it must just be a generation gap thing, I didn't start playing games till the mid to later 90s.

As for SWTOR, although EA is the parent company, bioware is the name you have to look at. Given that bioware has made absolutely incredible games in the past 5-10 games such as mass effect, and kotor and since they have a lot of previous experience with mmos (warhammer/ultima/DAC), it looks like it will be a very interesting game. The only fault I can see right now, which is actually pretty big for me, is that the end game might not be on par with WoW. From what I've read there is a huge amount of work being put into the storyline to make it feel a lot like a kotor game. Normally most end game content gets added a few months after release date anyways so it might not be a huge deal anyways. Last I read as well it sounded like they were trying to get away from that trinity core which I'm not sure if I like or not...

If they can make the game play life kotor as well as giving us hard core gamers something to do after the first month, I think it will turn out to be a very fun and profitable game.

I'll try it out, but I have a funny feeling this is going to end up being a more polished star wars galaxies. WoW is the gold standard these days, and it's going to have to improve on that if it want's to attract a significant following.

I'll try it out, but I have a funny feeling this is going to end up being a more polished star wars galaxies. WoW is the gold standard these days, and it's going to have to improve on that if it want's to attract a significant following.

A game will come along that will unseat WoW, just like WoW unseated EQ. It is just a matter of when.

Personally I'd love for it to be SWTOR. Additionally I don't believe BioWare had a hand in Ultima Online when it was most popular, also DAOC was a Mythic thing before BioWare and Mythic merged so I guess it really matters what has happened to the previous Mythic staff.

Anyone gonna pick up Star Wars: The Old Republic? I quit WoW and all MMOs already cause I know I won't have time to play them in school, but this one game intrigues me. I'm just afraid I'd turn to my undergrad self and play 15-16 hrs a day.

That game looks sweet! However, I doubt I'll play it, because the risk of spending too much time on it is too great.

Rift is pretty cool. You all should try it.

I played in some of the open betas. It just felt like a slower moving WoW with better graphics, imo.

I tried it as well, but from what I've seen it's not really all that innovative.

WoWs still more fun, but mainly because of the already established community.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry for the "13 year old"-ish bashing, just something that always tweaked a nerve. I NEVER get on the WoW forums, its just ridiculous. I definitely don't powergame. That was the whole reason for the bots, I didn't have time to sit behind a computer and play 8 hours a day leveling and gearing up toons, especially when my quant prof thought any free time during a day should be spent redoing titrations.

All that said, I don't game much anymore. I have a 3 month old baby girl, and ALL my free time is devoted to her. Yeah, she's already a daddy's girl. Whenever I'm not with her I'm hunting or fishing.

I've lived a long life of mediocre graphics cards that were never able to play next year's games. I will be purchasing a new laptop over the summer for the beginning of school next year. I definitely want a "gaming" laptop but also don't want to spend a fortune on it. I've had my eyes on the Toshiba Qosmio for a while, but again, it's a pretty penny and I don't know if I'll have that kind of money...

Any of you guys have some suggestions for a gaming laptop that's not outrageously expensive? (obviously I'm aware that because they machines designed to perform well, they cost more, I'm just looking for something good, just not the best).

I've lived a long life of mediocre graphics cards that were never able to play next year's games. I will be purchasing a new laptop over the summer for the beginning of school next year. I definitely want a "gaming" laptop but also don't want to spend a fortune on it. I've had my eyes on the Toshiba Qosmio for a while, but again, it's a pretty penny and I don't know if I'll have that kind of money...

Any of you guys have some suggestions for a gaming laptop that's not outrageously expensive? (obviously I'm aware that because they machines designed to perform well, they cost more, I'm just looking for something good, just not the best).

It is hard to find an affordable gaming laptop, I find generic/good deal laptops just don't have enough ventalation and the gfx cards (which are crappy versions of their desktop cousins) tend to overheat really quickly.

If you find a diamond in the rough, lemmie know I've always wanted a decent gaming laptop but am unwilling to pay the exhorbant prices.

Sorry for the "13 year old"-ish bashing, just something that always tweaked a nerve. I NEVER get on the WoW forums, its just ridiculous. I definitely don't powergame. That was the whole reason for the bots, I didn't have time to sit behind a computer and play 8 hours a day leveling and gearing up toons, especially when my quant prof thought any free time during a day should be spent redoing titrations.

All that said, I don't game much anymore. I have a 3 month old baby girl, and ALL my free time is devoted to her. Yeah, she's already a daddy's girl. Whenever I'm not with her I'm hunting or fishing.

Yeah, I just ended up having flashbacks to WoW forums circa 6 years ago. Good job on the manning up, I have an old friend who has 3 daughters ages 2-6 and spends the majority of his time on Halo while being stoned out of his head...so many people can't pry themselves from video games to join the real world.

I play Starcraft II and the occasional game of DOTA. It's nice to see that there are fellow pre-meds who are also avid gamers!

Anyone play DAII yet? I haven't got it, but it seems like a lot of people dislike it...I thought the demo was okay but definitely nowhere close to how good DA:O was (and a reason why I didn't pre-order DAII).

I bought an Asus G series laptop off Newegg August 09 and it plays all new games at full tilt. 4gb RAM NVidia 260m graphics card with dedicated 1gb GPU

Anyone play DAII yet? I haven't got it, but it seems like a lot of people dislike it...I thought the demo was okay but definitely nowhere close to how good DA:O was (and a reason why I didn't pre-order DAII).

PC GAMER gave it a 94, I nearly bought it the other day but I too have heard some negative comments on it.

Rift is pretty cool. You all should try it.

I'm actually starting that game right now. Figured I have a few months before madness starts and I wanted to enjoy it and waste time playing a game. And WoW was out of the question, Rift seemed intriguing, plus it's new, so everyone is starting off close on the same level.

Anyone pick up Homefront today? I'm thinking about picking it up tonight. It looks pretty sweet.

PC GAMER gave it a 94, I nearly bought it the other day but I too have heard some negative comments on it.

Mass effect sans guns?
The BioWare forums have been overwhelmingly negative about it.

However, I caved in and got it. While I agree that it's definitely not as good as DA:O was/is, it's still a pretty fun game IMO. I would actually agree with a lot of BioWare complainers though that DAII is to DA:O like ME2 was to ME: much more simplified (not "streamlined," IMO). Nightmare difficulty is actually ramped up compared to DA:O I feel like. I'm about 17 hrs into the game and still in Act I, so it looks like I'm in for a long and enjoyable ride. :)

can't play league right now because my wrist hurts too bad, but my guildmate won the solomid.net 1v1 tournament yesterday, hooray!

started playing ff6 again. kefka is most certainly the most evilest of evil dudes in all of the final fantasy games.

Any gamers among fellow burgeoning osteopathic physicians?

If so, what are your favorites?

Please, no "I can't believe you game, you're going to be in medical school and you won't have time for that trash" comments. :mad:

World of Warcraft all day.

Grew up on Nintendo (from the NES on), still love the staples: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc...
Played Zork when I was a kid (I'm old), and the old Sierra games (King's Quest, Space Quest, etc). Awesome.

Didn't play Fallout 3 until last year and believe it may be the greatest game ever created. Wish I had more time to play during med school, because it is truly a work of art. New Vegas was good, but not as good.

I will crush you all with Roy. Really.

I was talkin abt the N64 version...:laugh:

Senior year of high school, all we did every day was sit in the senior lounge and play SSB...there was one guy who was absolutely sick with Ness, sooooo annoying. And then one guy who just got his KOs by stealing them with the Kirby d*ck move(you should ALL know what this means).

Ah, the memories.

yeah i agree :( it's worse then before

This is the reason I haven't played any shooter on the PC since CounterStrike unless it's free. Always so many hackers, I satiate my need for a good shooter on the PS3.

So, I've been doing a little bit of research, as I will be purchasing a new laptop this summer. A desktop just is not an option because I have nowhere in my apartment to put a desktop. After reading through numerous top ten review lists, customer reviews, and side by side comparison of specs, I have completely fallen in love with this hottie:

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/X500/X505-Q8104X

qosmio-x505-q8104x-laptop.png

The price tag is pretty steep at $1899, but I was on the phone with a customer service lady last night and sweet-talked her into dropping it to $1730. Considering that I have $600 from my holiday bonus from work that I immediately set aside towards my laptop, it's technically only going to cost me $1130. Price aside, the specs are pretty impressive and I think I'll be quite happy with my new toy. The customer service rep said that this is part of the new line of Qosmios that just came out this week, so I'm pretty psyched for it. I won't be purchasing it until June, and unless a deal comes up in the meantime that blows me away, I'm pretty set on this- it's just so aesthetically pleasing compared to everything else. I will probably be replacing one of the 500 GB HDs with a 80 or 120 GB SSD. Haven't thought of any other modifications I would make. Anyways, I'm rambling. I'll keep y'all posted.

So, I've been doing a little bit of research, as I will be purchasing a new laptop this summer. A desktop just is not an option because I have nowhere in my apartment to put a desktop. After reading through numerous top ten review lists, customer reviews, and side by side comparison of specs, I have completely fallen in love with this hottie:

The price tag is pretty steep at $1899, but I was on the phone with a customer service lady last night and sweet-talked her into dropping it to $1730. Considering that I have $600 from my holiday bonus from work that I immediately set aside towards my laptop, it's technically only going to cost me $1130. Price aside, the specs are pretty impressive and I think I'll be quite happy with my new toy. The customer service rep said that this is part of the new line of Qosmios that just came out this week, so I'm pretty psyched for it. I won't be purchasing it until June, and unless a deal comes up in the meantime that blows me away, I'm pretty set on this- it's just so aesthetically pleasing compared to everything else. I will probably be replacing one of the 500 GB HDs with a 80 or 120 GB SSD. Haven't thought of any other modifications I would make. Anyways, I'm rambling. I'll keep y'all posted.

I'm not sure I would spend that much money on a laptop...... with 1130, I could build something from scratch and make it a total beast. Nothing beats a desktop and the power of replaceable parts.

If you want performance for gaming/graphic design, go with a desktop, hands down. It's definitely the most bang for your buck, and if you're concerned with portability, just pick up any el cheapo laptop that strikes your fancy for classes. Your wallet will thank you for it later.

500-600 will get you a pretty screaming machine.

So, I've been doing a little bit of research, as I will be purchasing a new laptop this summer. A desktop just is not an option because I have nowhere in my apartment to put a desktop.

I'm not sure I would spend that much money on a laptop...... with 1130, I could build something from scratch and make it a total beast. Nothing beats a desktop and the power of replaceable parts.

Agreed. I built my desktop for $600 and it blazes.

If you want performance for gaming/graphic design, go with a desktop, hands down. It's definitely the most bang for your buck, and if you're concerned with portability, just pick up any el cheapo laptop that strikes your fancy for classes. Your wallet will thank you for it later.

500-600 will get you a pretty screaming machine.

LOL. You guys miss the part where I said I couldn't get a desktop because I literally have nowhere to put it? I'm well aware that I could build a monster gaming desktop for much cheaper, but that simply isn't an option...thus, this will be my toy for the next couple of years until the wife and I move into a house(which won't be anytime soon).

LOL. You guys miss the part where I said I couldn't get a desktop because I literally have nowhere to put it? I'm well aware that I could build a monster gaming desktop for much cheaper, but that simply isn't an option...thus, this will be my toy for the next couple of years until the wife and I move into a house(which won't be anytime soon).

Mine is a very small, low-heat machine with a micro MB. I plug it into my TV so it doesn't take up any more room than a cable box or PS3.

me and some buds skipped class and played super smash bros. on the 64 a while back....totally worth the missed lectures. strange how you can play for hours on something that is so "primitive." of course, after playing I had to chuckle while thinking that the 64 was the shizzle back in the day.

Does anyone play Eve?

edit:

200 posts and I haven't been banned yet! Three cheers for me!

Does anyone play Eve?

edit:

insult a mod with the worst things you could possibly say about their mother and you might get a ban stick....other than that its all just a slap on the wrist....happy posting:D

Mine is a very small, low-heat machine with a micro MB. I plug it into my TV so it doesn't take up any more room than a cable box or PS3.

I own a shuttle, it fits inside of a Coach bag/under the seat of an airplane. You don't need a tower....though I admit my next computer will be a mini-tower.

In other news, my ancient HP notebook is on it's last legs. Any suggestions for a replacement <$1k?

Does anyone play Eve?

edit:

I used to, but stopped when I realized eve is pretty much a point-and-click adventure.