Gamer DO's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is somewhat off-topic but I figured all you pc gamers would at least appreciate it. All of the parts for my new desktop finally arrived yesterday and I spent all night putting everything together, I just have to add software and overclock stuff now. Here are the specs;

case-XCLIO Blackhawk extreme full tower cooling case

power supply-corsair professional series ax 1200 1200watts

mobo-Asus p8p67 pro lga 1155 intel p67 sata 6gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motheroard

CPU-Sandy Bridge I7-2600k (Serious Overclocking!!!)

GPU-SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card x2 in order to Crossfire

Hard drive-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x 2 for 1tb data

Ram-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL x2 for 16gb of Ram!

CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler (This thing is absolutely massive but should let me oc my cpu to at least 4.5ghz.

SSD-Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) x2 for 128 gb for operating system and games to be put on for super fast loading times!

burner-ASUS Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1LT LightScribe Support

Monitors-ASUS VW224U 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5000:1, 2ms, 1680x1050, DVI x 6

Speakers-Logitech Z523 2.1 Speaker System

mouse+keyboard-Already have a really nice high sensitivity gaming mouse and keyboard

Thats it! I'm really excited about the 2nd gen intel cores as the benchmarks I've seen are absolutely amazing since you can overclock to easily to 4.5-4.8gzh on an air cooling system. My old desktop was definitely beginning to get slow and could not run any new high end games on full settings anymore without terrible fps. I'm pretty sure this monster will eat any new game that come out in the next year or so without any problems!

*Drool*

I just picked up an Envy 14, you know because I needed to have a notebook for school.

Spec's

HP Envy 14
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-560M Dual Core Processor (2.66 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI] - For Dual Core Processors
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
256GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)
• No Additional Office Software
2x 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 6.0 hours of battery life +++
• 14.5" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam and Dual Digital Integrated Microphones
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
• Backlit Keyboard
• Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 8
• HP Mobile Broadband with GPS (Choose Verizon Wireless, AT&T or Sprint; service activation required)
• FREE Upgrade to Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Four Years from Computrace LoJack One Year
• 2 Year HP Warranty

I was able to weasel my way into getting $750 off with 2 day shipping because they screwed up my first order.
I went with the i5 for battery life. i7 was not worth the slight uptick in performance to drain my battery. (I wanted to wait for Sandy Bridge but the deal was too good to pass up.)

I'll be tacking on a 4GB DDR3 stick from the egg

CAN'T WAIT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
New maps for COD Black Ops in February. I'm so excited.

*Drool*

I just picked up an Envy 14, you know because I needed to have a notebook for school.

Spec's

HP Envy 14
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-560M Dual Core Processor (2.66 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI] - For Dual Core Processors
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
• 256GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)
• No Additional Office Software
• 2x 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 6.0 hours of battery life +++
• 14.5" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam and Dual Digital Integrated Microphones
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
• Backlit Keyboard
• Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 8
• HP Mobile Broadband with GPS (Choose Verizon Wireless, AT&T or Sprint; service activation required)
• FREE Upgrade to Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Four Years from Computrace LoJack One Year
• 2 Year HP Warranty

I was able to weasel my way into getting $750 off with 2 day shipping because they screwed up my first order.
I went with the i5 for battery life. i7 was not worth the slight uptick in performance to drain my battery. (I wanted to wait for Sandy Bridge but the deal was too good to pass up.)

I'll be tacking on a 4GB DDR3 stick from the egg

CAN'T WAIT

Those are some nice figures, but I will never purchase another HP product again. A few years ago I spent $1500 on a dv97xx that started having problems a few months after being purchased (screen hinge started breaking, hardware began failing, keys stopped working, etc). The whole experience with the laptop was just a nightmare and it was definitely the biggest piece of **** I ever bought. The sad thing is my experience with HP is not isolated, they appear to have a lot of issues with their products.

I really do hope you have a better experience than I did :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone ever play Ultima Online? I used to play on Atlantic and have yet to meet anyone else that played that game.

Yup, played on Atlantic as well back in '99-'01. Mostly played a crafter by the name of BLACKsmith...I quit when Trammel came out, it just wasn't the same game.

League of Legends for me. Laptop can't really play a whole lot of games...which is probably better for me.

League of Legends for me. Laptop can't really play a whole lot of games...which is probably better for me.

I have trouble understanding why these DOTA clones are so popular. I tried heroes of newerth, and it blew ass in a serious way.

I have trouble understanding why these DOTA clones are so popular. I tried heroes of newerth, and it blew ass in a serious way.

Haha, I used to play dota more, but I have more friends that play LoL, and I got tired of playing pub games for dota

How does this compare to Champions or COH?

I really hated how COH world was the same, ugly copies of buildings everywhere you went and got super tired of the game in just a few days. Felt like it should be a console game, not an MMO.

DCUO is really NOTHING like CoH outside of the fact it is hero based instead of medieval type based. I played CoH for awhile when it first came out, the novelty of being a super hero game wore off after a couple months. DCUO is an action MMO, if you want to get a flavor of what the fighting on the game is like you can download a free MMO called Vindictus. That along with fighting/fighting along side famous DC villians and heroes and fast paced PvP is keeping me busy with my free time, I just hope I get burnt out before Med school starts this summer.

*WoW subscription is either paused while I'm in school, or I delete the desktop icon and don't let myself think about it until Saturday nights (I'm married, so gaming in WoW can count as a date night).

Oh, if only I could get the wife to game...alas everything in the universe would then probably be perfect.

Those are some nice figures, but I will never purchase another HP product again. A few years ago I spent $1500 on a dv97xx that started having problems a few months after being purchased (screen hinge started breaking, hardware began failing, keys stopped working, etc). The whole experience with the laptop was just a nightmare and it was definitely the biggest piece of **** I ever bought. The sad thing is my experience with HP is not isolated, they appear to have a lot of issues with their products.

I really do hope you have a better experience than I did :)

Yeah I have heard back things, but at $950, I couldn't pass up. The envy won computer of the year from wired, and seems to use completely different components that the pavilion line, so I should ok.

right on brother :thumbup:

Im going to have to throw it out when I go back to school full time, you're right it is like crack. makes me feel like I wasted years playing Madden. Fifa is the only game I have a true problem putting down, especially after a loss :laugh:

PM me and we'll hit the sticks...

Black Ops and Halo too but neither holds my attention that long..

Members don't see this ad :)

wha wha!? I disagree. Heroes of Newerth, unlike wc3 dota, is able to regulate and control bad behavior to a much greater extent. Plus it's fun to play!

wha wha!? I disagree. Heroes of Newerth, unlike wc3 dota, is able to regulate and control bad behavior to a much greater extent. Plus it's fun to play!

Well, if I had to P2P, I would expect the game to have regulation..... don't forget that DoTA was community-created on the wc3 generator, it naturally couldn't have a lot of things people wanted from it. I still prefer League, but I miss denying.

Come on man...you can pick up a PS2 for like 20 bucks at a pawn shop. Time to Upgrade.

Hey, the N64 still retains some charm....

for those of us lucky enough to grow up in the 90's, it's pretty nostalgic to be able to fire up zelda or starfox or something once in a while.

for those of us lucky enough to grow up in the 90's, it's pretty nostalgic to be able to fire up zelda or starfox or something once in a while.

goldeneye....

I grew up with those games too (actually the original NES/SNES was more of my childhood), even dropped a goldeneye mention previously. But I wouldn't have even tried to drop a "Super Mario Bros 3" comment.

Zelda OoT is still one of my all-time favorite games

I was never a fan of the PSP, but you guys should check out the new PSP that was just announced, its pretty sick!

2nd year med student leading raids 3 nights/wk on WoW cataclysm 6 lvl 85s 3 in full pvp. MT for 25 mans full T11

2nd year med student leading raids 3 nights/wk on WoW cataclysm 6 lvl 85s 3 in full pvp. MT for 25 mans full T11

Am I the only one worried about the direction of video game development?!

What ever happened to a gamer sitting on his ass and playing a video game? Why, all of a sudden, must we get up and wave our arms around for games designed for elementary schoolers?

I understand they're trying to hit a new market... but they're not even making the upcoming Zelda installment compatible with 'normal' controllers!!!... Disgusting!:wtf:

what heroic content have you done, is the question

Am I the only one worried about the direction of video game development?!

What ever happened to a gamer sitting on his ass and playing a video game? Why, all of a sudden, must we get up and wave our arms around for games designed for elementary schoolers?

I understand they're trying to hit a new market... but they're not even making the upcoming Zelda installment compatible with 'normal' controllers!!!... Disgusting!:wtf:

wow is easy to play, that's wow, they market to a broad population of gamers. the distinction is in the end game content, which is worlds harder than wotlk.

wow is easy to play, that's wow, they market to a broad population of gamers. the distinction is in the end game content, which is worlds harder than wotlk.

Are you saying cata is worlds harder than wotlk? I haven't actually played since cata release but was a very hard core raider from vanilla to the end of wotlk (HLK 25M) and HLK was extremely difficult. Even with the all the crazy buffs it took months for even 100 guilds to down him. 0 Light Yogg was also horribly difficult as well especially with only ulduar lvl gear. Again, I'm not sure how difficult cata is but I highly doubt any current raids in cata are close to their difficulty although as the next tier of raids open up there will probably be some real tough ones.

I've always wanted to play WoW but frankly I saw a friend's dream of becoming a doctor go down the drains cuz he addicted to that game, and so I figured I'll just stick to my current addiction of CoD.

I've always wanted to play WoW but frankly I saw a friend's dream of becoming a doctor go down the drains cuz he addicted to that game, and so I figured I'll just stick to my current addiction of CoD.

Wise decision. ;)

Are you saying cata is worlds harder than wotlk? I haven't actually played since cata release but was a very hard core raider from vanilla to the end of wotlk (HLK 25M) and HLK was extremely difficult. Even with the all the crazy buffs it took months for even 100 guilds to down him. 0 Light Yogg was also horribly difficult as well especially with only ulduar lvl gear. Again, I'm not sure how difficult cata is but I highly doubt any current raids in cata are close to their difficulty although as the next tier of raids open up there will probably be some real tough ones.
How would you compare the overall difficulty of the high-end raids in WotLK to pre-BC?

I used to play WoW back in the day (vanilla through most of Sunwell) before quitting. And, frankly (IMO), nothing in TBC even compared to AQ40 and Naxx. I've played through original BT/Hyjal along with most of Sunwell, before the encounters were nerfed. While some encounters (like Shahrazz, M'uru, etc) were very difficult and satisfying to beat when they first came out, Blizzard nerfed the crap out of them fairly quickly. One of the reasons I quit was because WoW became just a shadow of what it was pre-BC. At least in terms of high-end raiding.

With that being said, I quit before finishing Sunwell so I don't know how difficult the raiding became after that. From the couple of friends I keep in touch with, who played from vanilla and are still playing, with the exception of a couple of encounters, they maintain that WoW's significantly easier compared to the original. In a way, this makes sense. Blizzard wants to make money and they want to cater the "difficult" instances to the casual crowd so that they can get the high-end gear as well. Good business strategy.

C'thun, Vael (at the time), and Twin Emps (the first couple of kills at least) were still the most ridiculously difficult and satisfying encounters, in my experience. :) Followed by pre-nerf Shahrazz and M'uru. 4HM (pre-BC) was hard too but it was tough mainly because you needed 8 tanks with 4pc T3 gear. Ugh.

Edit: Rereading this post, it comes off ridiculously nerdy! :smuggrin:

How would you compare the overall difficulty of the high-end raids in WotLK to pre-BC?
i didn't play pre-bc, i was still torturing myself with ffxi so i can't comment, however obviously anything where you have to synchronize the efforts of 40 people is likely infinitely more difficult than anything anyone can throw at you.

Are you saying cata is worlds harder than wotlk
i guess i should have said "it depends on what wrath content we are talking about." it's not really fair to compare anything released to hlk because the encounter was specifically designed to keep people from beating it for months. the patch as a whole is significantly more challenging than MOST of the wrath content (only specific fights as the ones you have mentioned were "difficult" and achievement based, which were changed from points to feats of strength). i got my mimiron head when it was still hard. we were top us 40 in wrath, and i thought the content as a whole was disappointing. actually, it was hlk that led me to quit - theres nothing fun about throwing yourself at a boss for weeks knowing you won't get to the phases you need to learn due to the encounter's design (relying on released global instance buffs).

While some encounters (like Shahrazz, M'uru, etc) were very difficult and satisfying to beat when they first came out, Blizzard nerfed the crap out of them fairly quickly
well yeah, because they implemented virtually unbeatable encounters. guilds wiped easily over 500 times for the original mu'ru, and even with the second and final sunwell nerf, less than 5% of guilds saw sunwell (my guild was only able to kill felmyst pre-nerf, which is was 2% raiding population?). i think blizzard acknowledged that it was a failed instance... there's a difference between torturing your playerbase and making content difficult.

they maintain that WoW's significantly easier compared to the original. In a way, this makes sense. Blizzard wants to make money and they want to cater the "difficult" instances to the casual crowd so that they can get the high-end gear as well.
you are correct with your reasoning, because it is easier. this is why there's heroic and non heroic 25 mans now. it's really sad that people did not get to see the the truly satisfying encounter mechanics of things in bc like kael and vashj because of their sheer difficulty (ensidia couldn't kill vashj when she mind controlled people), or that most hardcore raiders couldn't even GET to SSC/TK without fulfilling the most ridiculous sets of quests ever created (until they removed that too. a original timed heroic shattered halls run is way harder than anything in the game currently). with the exception of mother shahraz (there's nothing "difficult" having all of your members farm the mats for at least +300 shadow resistance), i feel like bc was less about gear and more about mechanical execution, explaining the fun of it.

tl;dr, don't play mmos.

Last edited:
well yeah, because they implemented virtually unbeatable encounters. guilds wiped easily over 500 times for the original mu'ru, and even with the second and final sunwell nerf, less than 5% of guilds saw sunwell (my guild was only able to kill felmyst pre-nerf, which is <2%?). i think blizzard acknowledged that it was a failed instance.

Yea, I agree with you there. M'uru was ridonkulous and you wiped even if you did everything perfectly. I don't know if I'd say the same for the BT/Hyjal encounters though (other than possibly Shahrazz pre-nerf...that one absolutely required everyone to be perfect). Illidan, for most of the group, was kind of a let down after the couple of hard encounters before him. I was a tank though (and one of the flame tanks), so it was definitely a tough encounter for me at least, especially since whether the raid wiped or not depended on 2 of us in that phase.

you are correct with your reasoning, this is why there's heroic and non heroic 25 mans now - it's really sad that people did not get to see the the truly satisfying encounter mechanic design of things in bc like kael and vashj because of their sheer difficulty (ensidia couldn't kill vashj when she mind controlled people), or that most hardcore raiders couldn't even GET to SSC/TK without fulfilling the most ridiculous sets of quests ever created. this goes along with mother shar too and having all of your members farm the mats for at least +300 shadow resistance - there's a difference between torturing your playerbase and making content difficult.
Haha, I still remember the attunements for SSC and TK. Oh man, those were brutal! I don't know though. I feel like all that "torture" made downing the boss even more satisfying because you invested so much into it. It put you in that elite group of people who pulled together and accomplished something that the vast majority of people couldn't. Good memories though! :) I wish more people had the opportunity to experience the difficulty and amazing design of AQ40 (after C'thun fix); that was the truly epic raid for me. Even the trash mobs were ridiculous in some areas!

I have no reason to doubt the second half of your screen name for a minute.

I have no reason to doubt the second half of your screen name for a minute :lol:

I mean it is possible. Instead of going out, relaxing and doing other things he could very well do that comfortably. The thing is, when I'm an M2 and am completely exhausted and overwhelmed by the amount of material thrown at me daily, the last thing I'm going to want to do is log on and lead a raid where the majority of the 3-4 hours is spent wiping... at least I couldn't see myself doing that anymore.

Sooooo... anyone want to play L4D on the weekend? =(

I mean it is possible. Instead of going out, relaxing and doing other things he could very well do that comfortably. The thing is, when I'm an M2 and am completely exhausted and overwhelmed by the amount of material thrown at me daily, the last thing I'm going to want to do is log on and lead a raid where the majority of the 3-4 hours is spent wiping... at least I couldn't see myself doing that anymore.

Sooooo... anyone want to play L4D on the weekend? =(

If by L4D you mean L4D 2, then yes.

steam name=willthinkformoney

I've been playing MW2 (Black Ops sucks) and Fallout: New Vegas lately. :cool:

I played Team Fortress Classic for ~6 years, back when I was a super nerd.

[youtube]TnXIH3s5DUw[/youtube]

(Not me, these guys are ridiculously good.)

What a relief! Not all (future) doctors are void of video game enlightenment. Movig around a lot as a child, video games were my only constant. Here's the linear progression of my childhood to adulthood: NES Zelda, Super Mario 3, Twisted Metal 2, final fantasy 7, Counter Strike, Everquest, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty.

xbox live playertag: "Cpt G Sauce" (little brother's account I stole)

Now I'm a 26 year old father going to med school having nightmares about how the hobby that shaped my life might be my undoing. Will I flunk out med school in order to get 15th Prestige on Black Ops? Only time will tell. I'll force my wife to hide the xbox games from me since it's her xbox and we can't just throw them away. I had her hide the CoD: World at War cd in a random book on our bookshelf during MCAT time last year. FAIL

Good to hear students still have time to game. Played WoW when it first came out til last year, and don't plan on being back. Mostly playing on my xbox right now, but I'll probably pick up Diablo 3 when it comes out.

Have you guys seen the new Battlefield 3 scans? I can't wait :eek:

There is a shocking lack of MvC3 in this thread. I will remedy this immediately.

cce76_marvel-vs-capcom-3.jpg

You can thank me later.