How do I find DO’s to shadow and get LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorUndertaker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here’s the thing... I’m now a junior in college and I have never been able to find a single DO to shadow. I’ve called random offices, asked around to find DO’s in the area that allow shadowing, and I’ve tried to think of any connections that I have... I just can’t find a DO to shadow. I’ll be applying in the upcoming cycle, and I’m not sure what to do. I have no shadowing hours under a DO and I don’t have a LOR from a DO. The past year I’ve been trying to focus on my academics, as my grades were going down, and I knew if I didn’t get serious, I wouldn’t have the grades for med school. (P.S. it was worth it, I have a 4.00 GPA since then.)

So, now that I’m here... What is the best/fastest way that I can find a DO to shadow and get a LOR for the upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

If you live near a DO school, they might have a program for college students to shadow or have facility that are willing to let you shadow or know other who would.

Members don't see this ad :)
One suggestion I have that you could try is going into a few offices or clinics and speak with the staff personally so they can put a face to a name. This could work better than cold calling because you can create a stronger connection. I had done this in my local area about 2 years ago and 2 out of 4 offices allowed me to come shadow the physician there. I would explain to them my reasons why I wanted to shadow and if the physician that was there would be available, then they took my information and contacted me back with the response. So I’d give it a shot and it may just work for you too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have personally faced this problem. I called 60+ DOs in my area and was unable to find a single one to shadow. Fortunately, I met a family friend and he was able to connect me to a DO. I feel as if this is the only way a DO is willing to take a shadow (at the undergrad level). Good luck.

If you live near a DO school, they might have a program for college students to shadow or have facility that are willing to let you shadow or know other who would.

This is what I did. I think officially its for students at the undergrad university but I was able to scheduleta couple of days. Other thing is to contact your school's alumni office, they may have some people who have signed up to be mentors that would be willing, I know a few of my old classmates that do that stuff.

So it was a lot of hard work for me to get my DO letter but I volunteered at in an ED at a traditional osteopathic institution in my area (if you don't have one, look for the most community-oriented hospital instead of just the biggest). After several months (nearly 150 volunteer hours) I asked my volunteer supervisor if she knew any physicians I could shadow. You could also get to know the ED doc (although admittedly that may be tough). Some hospital networks allow you to apply for job shadowing opportunities as well.

When you don't have physicians in your family or friend network it can be tougher to get shadowing hours but at least some schools take this into account. But if you want it, go for it. Good luck

It may be difficult to find a DO to shadow but its worth the trouble because a letter from a DO is a very important factor for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I got several interview invites and acceptances from DO schools with just a MD letter and no DO shadowing (only had indirect contact with DOs) I don’t think it’s a deal breaker not to have one as long as the rest of your application is solid.

edit: I did shadow a DO student at a local DO school but I didn’t get a letter from it

Hellosnd is right. It's not a deal breaker for a good amount of schools. However some do require it like WVCOM and ARCOM.... It does help a lot tho, especially if other areas of your application are lacking

Hellosnd is right. It's not a deal breaker for a good amount of schools. However some do require it like WVCOM and ARCOM.... It does help a lot tho, especially if other areas of your application are lacking
Hmm... My number one school is OU HCOM. They say a DO recommendation letter is strongly recommended. How should I take that?

I have personally faced this problem. I called 60+ DOs in my area and was unable to find a single one to shadow. Fortunately, I met a family friend and he was able to connect me to a DO. I feel as if this is the only way a DO is willing to take a shadow (at the undergrad level). Good luck.
This is actually really good advice. Through everything that I've tried up to this point, I have STILL not been able to find a single DO to shadow. I do have one doctor in a sort-of distant family-friend relationship. I may have to contact him to see if he can help out at all. Thank you

Hmm... My number one school is OU HCOM. They say a DO recommendation letter is strongly recommended. How should I take that?
I mean it depends, if you have an overall strong application and you are just missing a DO letter you can still get an interview and acceptance. No DO shadowing will hurt bc they will ask you why DO and without experience with a DO, it's hard to give a good answer to that. I got waitlisted at OUHCOM without a DO letter however they did say in my interview it would have gone a long way... I would go on to OUHCOM site, look under year 3/4 clinical sites and see what opportunities are at those facilities closest to you... Also ask your premed adviser they may have a list of DOs you can cold call.

The Ohio Osteopathic Association meeting is this weekend, you could stand outside with a sign saying "premed looking for shadowing" ;)

Reactions: 1 user
It certainly took me a while to find a DO to shadow as an American living in Canada, I did have to make some sacrifices and book a hotel so I could shadow a few days at a time but its certainly been an interesting experience.

I had little success making phone calls, but found that emails seemed to work better in my experience, though that likely depends on the practice.

Good luck!

It certainly took me a while to find a DO to shadow as an American living in Canada, I did have to make some sacrifices and book a hotel so I could shadow a few days at a time but its certainly been an interesting experience.

I had little success making phone calls, but found that emails seemed to work better in my experience, though that likely depends on the practice.

Good luck!

The majority of time I can't even find emails that I could contact a practice with, so I'm usually forced to call. It would be fine if I ever found any DO that I could shadow... Still have not found anyone.

At this point, I have been full-on searching for a DO to shadow in my area since February. Application time is coming up, but I don't have the important shadowing experience under a DO. I am desperate to find a DO. If anyone has any information on any DO's that might allow me to shadow, or really just anything, please PM me.

I asked my volunteer supervisors to help me out and they found a DO for me to shadow. Ask around and maybe ask your premed friends for some help.